davidzq

Amtrak Cascades.

Hello everyone! I've been lurking this forum for years now, occasionally posting in help topics. I have to admit, I'm not much of a train builder (hence my lack of posts), but I finally realized a dream I've had for a very long time.

21042175848_0c6eb0403d_z.jpg

Amtrak Cascades by David Hensley, on Flickr

It all started about 7 years ago.....I am a Seattle resident, and see this train passing by regularly. It's always held a special place for me. I always wanted to have a nice long train, but financial trouble made that hard, which is what got me into Talgo. I started off by building a copy of James Mathis's wonderful rendition of the Cascades, although mine was red for lack of parts. I continually improved on this design, making it more and more realistic. I must of went through at least 6 versions. 3 years ago, having no access to my bricks due to a move, I turned to LDD and decided to once again revisit the train. This time I decided to spare no detail, and upgrade to 7 wide. A year later, I finally gained access to my bricks, and tested the design, but money still kept me from building. 2 years, and a great career later, I finally decided it was time, and here is the result!

21086260701_f5d13f0b1f.jpg

NMRA_2015_30 by Allen Smith, on Flickr. Not my photo, taken at NMRA 2015

More photos with detailed descriptions on Flickr.

The model is 7 wide, and powered by 4 L motors (2 per locomotive). She runs well, and will negotiate standard curves and switches.

Now, since I'm here talking about trains, hopefully you won't mind if I dig up something from awhile back.

Nordco Rail Inspection truck.

Edited by davidzq

Wow that is amazing, I also blog on a magazine called Model Railroad Hobbyist which was at the convention and had photos of the legos and am surprised there was no photo of this do you mind if I mention it on there?

Wow that is amazing, I also blog on a magazine called Model Railroad Hobbyist which was at the convention and had photos of the legos and am surprised there was no photo of this do you mind if I mention it on there?

Go right ahead! I was only there Saturday and Sunday, and the train was hiding in the back of the yard most of the time. I did have it running for several hours on Sunday though.

Edited by davidzq

Nice work. I like that you used the F40PH NPCU instead of the new Talgo cab car.

I wanted a good looking train! :laugh:

Also, not my video, but here's some proof that is does run well.

WOW! Those locomotives are a tour de force. The F40 has bricks going every which way in an excellent work and the curves in the F59 are simply impossible. Then doing that brick built swooshing curve throughout the train... unbelievable. What about the articulated cars, do you have a photo of those on a tight curve? Oh, wait, there it is in your photostream, you tell all of your secrets. All around incredible.

Hello everyone! I've been lurking this forum for years now, occasionally posting in help topics. I have to admit, I'm not much of a train builder (hence my lack of posts), but I finally realized a dream I've had for a very long time.

Not much of a train builder??? I can't imagine what you would do if you were...

Now, since I'm here talking about trains, hopefully you won't mind if I dig up something from awhile back.

Nordco Rail Inspection truck.

No, that is unacceptable. I will refrain from commenting on this impressive piece of work until you give it its own thread that it deserves. (grin, but true that it is deserving of its own thread)

You've really captured it well! It looks like the front of the engine is held on by sheer willpower! :sweet: Amazing result on something I think most folks wouldn't even attempt.

This train is amazing! The details are awesome. I really like how you kept the vents see through. I think I detect a slight brag though, "im not much of a train builder" followed by an epic master piece haha.

Really cool! How are those coaches connected with one axle? Don't they sit a little bit to low?

Incredible detail. Thank you for sharing this amazing train. The wheels and running gear arrangement blows me away. And as Deraven said, it looks like it is held together by sheer willpower but then you see the well thought out structure behind. Wow.

Very nice! I hope to see more trains from you. :thumbup:

It even has opening doors! :grin:

Edited by Richie

Thank you, everyone! If anyone has any specific questions regarding design, I'd be happy to take photos.

I'll also post this prototype from a couple years ago, showing the basic construction.

Not much of a train builder??? I can't imagine what you would do if you were...

Not much in terms of volume :grin: . And if I was, I'd be bankrupt. I estimate I've spent over $1800 on this project, through its 7 year life.

Really cool! How are those coaches connected with one axle? Don't they sit a little bit to low?

The axles are a simple technic assembly, with the cars held in place by rubber band to allow expansion.

Being European coaches, the low slung look was intentional. There's still plenty of clearance for switches and crossings.

Looks awesome - nice work! Will you be bringing this to BrickCon this year?

Absolutely! And NMRA helped me identify all the trouble spots, so I should be able to run it for hours!

As far as building other trains......No, you don't have to go in hiding, or smash all your mocks in shame (Smug, I know..... :devil: ), I have no plans to build any more trains (Although a Brandt Power Unit is on my long list....eventually).

Edited by davidzq

Very nice! I am not familiar with this train and had to google some pictures of the prototype. Other than the green isn't quite the right shade, you nailed the shape and details. I browsed around the Flickr account and was very impressed with the rest of the contributions. Why haven't we seen that Rio Grande train featured here?

Hope it doesn't take 7 more years to see more of your work!

\Other than the green isn't quite the right shade\

Unfortunately dark green is missing several essential parts. But when they become available, I WILL be upgrading! Although a blue/black/silver version did exist for a few years...

Why haven't we seen that Rio Grande train featured here?

Hmmm......I think you may have strayed into my Favorites from other builders.

Edited by davidzq

Unfortunately dark green is missing several essential parts. But when they become available, I WILL be upgrading! Although a blue/black/silver version did exist for a few years...

Hmmm......I think you may have strayed into my Favorites from other builders.

It was in the Allen Smith Flickr album of the NMRA 2015 show. Lots of really great trains featured there!

David,

Simply fantastically packed with SNOT and clips. Your seven(wow! Seven!) years of development really showcases the set well. Even more so, glad to hear of your career success story that has enable you to realize the vision of your dreams so that we may enjoy and be inspired by your talent. Bravo.

Aloha,

James

David,

Simply fantastically packed with SNOT and clips. Your seven(wow! Seven!) years of development really showcases the set well. Even more so, glad to hear of your career success story that has enable you to realize the vision of your dreams so that we may enjoy and be inspired by your talent. Bravo.

Aloha,

James

When the master himself compliments your work....

If I had never come across your rendition on Brickshelf all those years ago, none of this would have ever happened. Especially if you never proved functional Talgo were possible in Lego in the first place! So thank you for the compliments, and for the years of inspiration and problem solving.

davidzq,

While strolling through the eurobricks forums I had to do a double take. You have not only replicated but in your own way greatly enhanced a model of one of the few remaining superb paint schemes in use today. I am not sure what we Washingtonians did to deserve such an honor. The Acela blue-grey is yet another of the modern schemes but here we have classic meets contemporary modern. Cream, dark green and dark copper-brown. (Like another classic that would grace the area from time to time, the old Burlington Northern executive paint scheme. Can you say pretty!)

I still remember this picture from all those years ago. (Before the mandated FRA crash protection brought on the NPCU cabbage car.) http://web.talgoamerica.com/images/Amrak/Amtrak-Cascades_Thorpe.jpg

Brown looks good but with the newer reddish-brown I wonder how it would look?

Of course the paint job did an excellent job of hiding the locomotive aesthetics. (Or better the lack thereof.)

Speaking of things, WSDOT tacked on a portion to the multi-state order to Siemens for new Charger locomotives. The closest we have to a paint scheme is this render: (Very large image) http://www.siemens.com/press/pool/de/pressebilder/2014/infrastructure-cities/rail-systems/300dpi/ICRL201403009-01_300dpi.jpg -That would be the green roofed one that has WSDOT stenciled on the side and Seattle on the readerboard. (See order breakdown here: http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/traction-rolling-stock/single-view/view/more-siemens-charger-diesel-locomotives-ordered.html) If you are open for additional work, then you might want to consider flushing out a Charger design so once the paint scheme arrives you can tweak it. I wonder if the cabbage NPCU will still remain or if the fins will get the axe...

3D LEGO

davidzq,

While strolling through the eurobricks forums I had to do a double take. You have not only replicated but in your own way greatly enhanced a model of one of the few remaining superb paint schemes in use today. I am not sure what we Washingtonians did to deserve such an honor. The Acela blue-grey is yet another of the modern schemes but here we have classic meets contemporary modern. Cream, dark green and dark copper-brown. (Like another classic that would grace the area from time to time, the old Burlington Northern executive paint scheme. Can you say pretty!)

I still remember this picture from all those years ago. (Before the mandated FRA crash protection brought on the NPCU cabbage car.) http://web.talgoamer...ades_Thorpe.jpg

Brown looks good but with the newer reddish-brown I wonder how it would look?

Of course the paint job did an excellent job of hiding the locomotive aesthetics. (Or better the lack thereof.)

Speaking of things, WSDOT tacked on a portion to the multi-state order to Siemens for new Charger locomotives. The closest we have to a paint scheme is this render: (Very large image) http://www.siemens.c...9-01_300dpi.jpg -That would be the green roofed one that has WSDOT stenciled on the side and Seattle on the readerboard. (See order breakdown here: http://www.railwayga...es-ordered.html) If you are open for additional work, then you might want to consider flushing out a Charger design so once the paint scheme arrives you can tweak it. I wonder if the cabbage NPCU will still remain or if the fins will get the axe...

3D LEGO

I wasn't aware of the order for the chargers, thanks for sharing! If they get the paint right, it could look alright, but the F59PHIs have just the right amount of streamlining to blend in with the paint and fins perfectly. Although it's very rare that I see the F59s these days, always in the shop, and the P42s look terrible pulling the talgo. In terms of extra work though, I've already passed on the three talgos Oregon DOT bought, they chose the ugliest control car offered. I'm not expecting much out of these chargers, but we'll see. I also would have passed on the NPCU, but the train is so heavy, it needs the second locomotive, and it is also needed to keep the fin car's wheels aligned.

The train is in fact reddish brown (aside from a few parts which aren't available), but it's always hard to get decent photos. No room to set up the train (And forget about running it at home!).