Kolonialbeamter

General MOC-Discussion, WIP-Help, and Teaser Thread

On 12/23/2017 at 3:52 PM, 2maxwell said:

Hey guys, I just ordered a few bearskin hats and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using them with various backpacks. I never see the combo; do they not fit together?

Are you talking about the ones used on the Royal Guardsman Minifigure? If so, then yes. I've made some Guards/Grenadier soldiers with them, and they fit with the standard backpack. I'll see if I can't get a picture.

I've been working on a project to help my pretty much non-existent Naval forces. In doing so, I'm in the process of refitting my Brick Bounty as a Redcoat privateer, and I created the below as an interim Bluecoat craft (for context I have about 3 times as many Redcoat sailors). As for my creation, I labeled it a Gunboat, although I don't know if it would qualify as such. I have two main concerns/questions- should I change the mast to the solid mast piece; and would it be better to keep the Gunboat or scrap it for something larger and more substantial (such as a Cutter, or at most a Sloop). I'm unsure, as I think each can be useful; though I do like the idea of a coastal support craft.

32849152508_ee1d8c3913.jpgGunboat #1 by Jonathan Wallace, on Flickr

@CommanderJonny1 Hello and welcome to our pirate's cove :tongue:. Your build is a nice first try and it's your decision should you want to keep this moc of yours or try to build something larger. Regarding the masts of this size, I think brick built ones (with many arts used) look better and having multiples of this piece works wonders. If you have the time, always use rigging (some string and a cloth or paper) as they make vessels look a lot better.

If however you decide to go larger, in my opinion, the first thing you should do is to widen the vessel a bit to make it look more "realistic" (at least in minifig scale).

Anyway, i hope I've been of help to you and as always, keep building!

Edited by blackdeathgr

Thanks! I'm big in to history, so this goes hand in hand.

9 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

If you have the time, always use rigging (some string and a cloth or paper) as they make vessels look a lot better.

I have used those strings for rigging, though I admit to it being a bit lacking.

39791802023_9dbf0f9a7e.jpgGunboat #2(R) by Jonathan Wallace, on Flickr

9 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

If however you decide to go larger, in my opinion, the first thing you should do is to widen the vessel a bit to make it look more "realistic" (at least in minifig scale).

I did think it was a bit narrow, but I justified it as it being small enough in size; I wanted more than just rowboats. Also, it gives me a nice name (Swordfish), though historically Gunboats were actually numbered. Anyways, thank you for the feedback!