Kolonialbeamter

General MOC-Discussion, WIP-Help, and Teaser Thread

I'm currently working on my first ocean-going ship MOC, as I usually stick to castles and space ships, but I have encountered an issue that undoubtedly has been asked and answered in the past: what kind of string do people use for rigging? Do most people buy official LEGO string on BrickLink, or do they find their own substitute? If a substitute, what diameter and material of string is used? Suggestions for brands and the like is greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

20 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

I'm currently working on my first ocean-going ship MOC, as I usually stick to castles and space ships, but I have encountered an issue that undoubtedly has been asked and answered in the past: what kind of string do people use for rigging? Do most people buy official LEGO string on BrickLink, or do they find their own substitute? If a substitute, what diameter and material of string is used? Suggestions for brands and the like is greatly appreciated. 

Well mate, that depends on exactly how deep down the rabbit hole you wanna go. :devil:

1 hour ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

And I'm looking up at you doc.

First of all make up your mind on how purist you are.

More or less:

What is the role of LEGO® in your creation?

Are you building minifig illusion scale or scale model?

I build in minifig scale 1:38ish’ (not to be confused with minifig illusion scale)

I see the brick as an all-purpose substitute for anything that would be made of hard material in any other model: Plaster, plastic, wood, metal…

Whether it is LEGO® depends on the hard material for me.

This gives the freedom to choose what works best in terms of rope.

Size:

On my last models I used string in sizes 0,5mm - 2mm.

Material:

So far I have tried cotton and nylon. -Could be bought in most hobby-shops.

…Next up is hemp. -Only found that in special ship-model-shops.

@Anders T There it is, there's the answer I didn't want to have to be the one to give. Thanks Mate!

@Henjin_Quilones I'm of a similar mind to Anders T. I use cheap embroidery thread from the hobby/craft store myself. It's dirt cheap, comes in myriad colors and is available in a couple different gauges. It's not the easiest to work with and I don't trust my knots on their own (a dab of glue helps em to not slip) but I've gotten used to it and figured out some tricks to really make it work for me.

The trouble here is in answering generalized questions about a field of interest in which there really is no generalization.

Do you have anything you could share with us like a WIP image or some inspiration/reference material you've been using?

@kurigan @Anders T Thanks for the advice! I was figuring that most people probably used a different type of thread, as official LEGO thread is relatively rare. My ship is inspired by the caravel, with lateen sails, but not intended to be historically accurate in either scale or detail, as it is set in a fantasy realm with elves. I've mostly finished everything except the rigging, and am relatively happy with how things look so far, but if you have some advice I'd be glad to hear it. Here are two WIP pics:

36279624072_272440c45e_z.jpg

36402294786_e99dfa2a9b_z.jpg

I notice that the golden wings in the back have drooped a bit in the pictures, so don't mind those...

I generally use twine, about 0,5 to 1 mm in diameter, but I have also used some more elastic guy-line in the same dimensions, which was nice to work with as it gives some wonderful tension to the rig. It's a lot harder to make proper knots in, though.

I have seen several people using thinner sewing thread with great success too, though, but I prefer a bulkier look.

Examples with twine:

33131975355_f4d31153ee.jpg

29987749086_fa85a32a36.jpg

29053373572_b3160a2878.jpg

And with guy-line:

26352496125_3a85e14c0f.jpg

24682927491_13cb822472.jpg

Here's a WIP shot of a display I'm building for a show in a couple of months. I'm pretty happy with how the skull has intergrated into the rock work. There will be more detailing done after the rest of the layout is sorted out.

Work in progress

@Henjin_Quilones Well, I went and looked-up caravels again to be sure I knew what I was talking about. To my eye they seemed to have been purposely simplistic rigs. To be anything like historically accurate, you wouldn't really need much. A couple of shrouds per mast and a few stays would be enough if you were so inclined. Fantasy builds are always a matter of opinion but I don't really think this one needs much of anything at all though. One bit of trouble I foresee with strings, would be the way the yards hang. Using a brick built connection they hang kind of far out away from the mast. The shrouds might then deflect by resting against them on one side. Solutions I can see include, forgoing strings altogether (perhaps in favor plastic Lego shrouds), adding some kind of spreader above the sail, or going so far as to hang the yards with string as well so they are against the mast more. 

@Slobey That skull is intense!  

@Slobey THAT SKULL !!!!!!!!! Awesome! Only thing I would have changed (nitpicking here) is to alter the color of the spot where dbg and lbg meet at the "ear" height (the 1 brick width of lbg bricks that are protruding there, that is) , because as it is now, it gives the impression that there is a lbg ear attached to the skull. Purely subjective though and I must state again that this is a really well formed skull !!!

6 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

@Slobey THAT SKULL !!!!!!!!! Awesome! Only thing I would have changed (nitpicking here) is to alter the color of the spot where dbg and lbg meet at the "ear" height (the 1 brick width of lbg bricks that are protruding there, that is) , because as it is now, it gives the impression that there is a lbg ear attached to the skull. Purely subjective though and I must state again that this is a really well formed skull !!!

Thanks for the feedback @blackdeathgr ? The skull was built a while ago and now I'm trying to integrate it into the hill side. I'm probably going to form up a landscape around it and then try to blend it in colour wise as the initial skull was made in solid lbg. I'll post a topic once the show has been and gone to show off the final results...

Here is the original skull by itself:

SkullSkull

Here on its own, it looks absolutely natural so what strikes me as odd is probably the point where lbg and dbg blends. In any case, keep up the work and show us the final result when you have finished! :thumbup:

The SOIC Indiaman: Gotheborg

36851646636_bde47b8b0b_c.jpg

The headrails will be redone after a tip of Legostone :)

Edited by Maxim I

20171024_144131cropped-web_zpsb0r3x6vj.j

I can haz joining bounty?

:laugh:

As has become my wont, I've been keeping my current projects under wraps but this was just too perfect, so enjoy a sneak peak, courtesy of my ridiculous cat!

37779740285_742d733bea_z.jpgIMG_20171121_030805 by Ragni Norgrimson, auf Flickr

26890893399_7f615dfbe5_z.jpgIMG_20171121_030730 by Ragni Norgrimson, auf Flickr

My first try to build a ship of the Line. I think i will overhaul it because of some things i dont like from this version. Planks are to short, the bow seems to be very round.... I think it will improve with the time :)

So far: Enjoy the WIP Pictures!

Hey guys, I just ordered a few bearskin hats and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using them with various backpacks. I never see the combo; do they not fit together?

Edited by 2maxwell

I was thinking about how much fun participating in the Shiptember event is.  Would others be interested in building water based craft (don’t have to be any particular size) over the course of a month just to share with one another.  It doesn’t have to be a contest, but it would definitely be a motivation to build.  I think it would just promote more building and sharing.  I am finding that getting that nudge helps me build faster.  Anybody else interested?  Obviously I can simply build a ship and share it anytime, but simultaneous group building seems like more fun

Hello all!

Lately I've only been active in the BOBS corner of EB, after being away a while.

But I've build a frigate for BOBS and I wanted to let those who don't check frequently in there know, as double posting isn't aloud in EB here's a link.

Please let me know what you think of her, there :)

Hello everyone !

When I want to create topic I can't upload any pictures because it says that max total size is 0.1 MB. So how can I post some pictures ??? 

Thanks for reply.

Edited by Builder 05

Never really used these three reasons for this thread:

·         Ever thought about posting a WIP but didn't think it would deserve its own thread?

·         Ever wanted to announce a huge, mind boggling, or simply your next project and ask your fellow EB members what they think about that idea?

·         Or have you ever just felt the urge to tease everyone with a blurred picture of your creation or some facts about it before releasing it for good?

Here it goes…

1936688039_HMSSurpriseremake44Frdigtileurobricks.png.9b69e06abcc807e0179a0e638bdc1953.png1697142698_HMSSurpriseremake44Frdigtileurobricks2.png.b74827c710dc410c33ed4da19ecd82da.png

Just placed the brick-link orders for this baby.*oh2*

My goal is to have her finished during October.:pir-murder:

She is a redesign of an older LDD-MOC of mine. Kudos to whoever can guess which.:pir-oh:

To all you nerds:pir-grin:: some boring details…

She will be approx. 1.5 m long and 1.1 m tall (with masts).

The model contains about 20.000 bricks.

Edited by Anders T