Kolonialbeamter

General MOC-Discussion, WIP-Help, and Teaser Thread

12 hours ago, Supersick_ said:

I'm sure there are a few ways to do this but here's what I was thinking. Pictures being a thousand words and all that...

1280x720.jpg

Holy mother of Redbeard, this is fantastic, thank you so much!

Edited by zinnn

Hi folks, can someone help me to understand how this little raft is put together? (the "wooden" bit)

rtNputa.jpg

Edited by zinnn

18 hours ago, zinnn said:

Hi folks, can someone help me to understand how this little raft is put together?

It's put together using a SNOT technique, deck was connected with few bricks with studs on the side, I'm guessing. Similar raft was built in this Lego City Police set 60066:

60066_alt3.jpg

59 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

It's put together using a SNOT technique, deck was connected with few bricks with studs on the side, I'm guessing. Similar raft was built in this Lego City Police set 60066:

60066_alt3.jpg

Ok, fair enough. I just thought that those tree stump tiles are on both sides of the raft (not only the visible one in the photo I've added)

2 minutes ago, zinnn said:

I just thought that those tree stump tiles are on both sides of the raft

If so, then that could've been accomplished by using the Technic 2l pin connector, on one side holding it with a pin and on the other side pin with a stud, holding the tile. Rather complex but ye can understand once knowing the pieces that were used (I'm guessing).

A Stud.io file image that I made, so ye can understand better:

Raft technique

1 hour ago, Jack Sassy said:

If so, then that could've been accomplished by using the Technic 2l pin connector, on one side holding it with a pin and on the other side pin with a stud, holding the tile. Rather complex but ye can understand once knowing the pieces that were used (I'm guessing).

A Stud.io file image that I made, so ye can understand better:

Raft technique

Makes sense now. Paldies!

51520444438_452f6ea664_k.jpg

"A nice fellow in a strange suit calling himself John Moses Browning dropped this off for us this morning.  He called it a 'Ma Deuce', and he said it would solve our redcoat and pirate problems..."

On 9/26/2021 at 5:30 PM, Cousarmy0001 said:

he said it would solve our redcoat and pirate problems..."

:pir-laugh: I bet it would :pir-huzzah1:

14 hours ago, evancelt said:

@kurigan - Cool! There are some bumpy seas in the middle of the video, but cool effect! Ship looks great

Thanks though :pir-huzzah2:

Edited by kurigan

So I'm sitting around with more work to do than I have energy, scrolling through old stuff on a lark when I saw this again and thought "Man, that's really complicated... I know!" and scrounged up some bricks to put this together. I would have used three 30137 but I only found the one so I used four 30136 instead of the other two and put the one 30137 I did find down the middle so it was plenty stable. I even went and threw on a mast with a sail and my old sig-fig for S&Gs (Don't worry about him, out on the high seas in a raft though, it's not the least sea worthy thing he's ever had to sail :pir-wink:)

1221211425.jpg

1221211427a.jpg

1221211427.jpg

1221211426b.jpg

1221211426a.jpg

1221211426.jpg

1221211425a.jpg

Cheers! :pir-huzzah2:

Dave

Lol, look at those white hair haha

sweet little build, may I ask where is that torso from?

7 hours ago, zinnn said:

Lol, look at those white hair haha

sweet little build, may I ask where is that torso from?

hehe, yeah. Bit of polyester fill pinched under his hat, that. :pir-wink:

It's an old ninja torso I found in a job lot.

:pir-huzzah2:

I am currently working on a model of HMS Speedy.

HMS Speedy

The smaller holes between the gun ports are sometimes sweep ports, sometimes something else.

Sweep ports?

B and C are placed reasonably for them to be sweep ports, however A and D will be impractical at best.

Are B and C sweep ports and A and D something else, are they all something else, or…??

Edited by Anders T

On 1/12/2022 at 9:36 AM, Anders T said:

I am currently working on a model of HMS Speedy.

The smaller holes between the gun ports are sometimes sweep ports, sometimes something else.

B and C are placed reasonably for them to be sweep ports, however A and D will be impractical at best.

Are B and C sweep ports and A and D something else, are they all something else, or…??

Looking good, as always:pir-love: 

I honestly don't know, and its been bugging me all week. The only thing I can think of is, they may be for running cables to the bits, but why bother and not just go over the rail or through a port? I agree, they are in a terrible place and off axis for sweeps. The shrouds would limit their throw and proximity to the masts and rails wouldn't allow enough men to work them from deck, but I couldn't find any reference to them. Isn't there a comprehensive book on Speedy, like Anatomy of the Ship series (I don't have any of those), perhaps the answer is in there. :pir-sceptic: I'll keep thinking and wondering, see if I can dig anything up, but I never thought about it before you brought it up, so I'm lost.

Dave :pir-huzzah2:

Thanks for the reply Kurigan:

On 1/15/2022 at 5:00 PM, kurigan said:

The only thing I can think of is, they may be for running cables to the bits, but why bother and not just go over the rail or through a port?

In connection to what you suggest. (…and reject):pir-classic:

I also thought they might be some sort of hawsehole, but they are at the far end of the bow.

Sebeus I has suggested that some of them could function as evacuation channels for the pumps.

Initially I suspect that ports with that purpose are lower. I have usually seen freeing ports at deck level.

Another function could be in connection with deployment of studding sails. I have not seen ports for that purpose on any other vessel.

I have been somewhat reassured that ports B and C are Sweep ports.

E.g. this discussion: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/7122-sweep-ports-and-oar/

And therefore the question still stands.:pir-oh:

What is the function of port A and D?

Edited by Anders T

Hey everyone, does any of you know of a good way to create a more hidden and subtle way to installl opening mechanism for front of the cave (by opening I mean the wall [or skull like in the img below] will be attached with technic liftarms, and should open by turning some elements or pushing others)? Sort of like in 70411 but I don't want to use the chain that would be visible from the top of the front wall. Any other ways to get this system working in similar manner?

70411-1.jpg?201411050841

Edited by zinnn

On 2/4/2022 at 7:18 PM, zinnn said:

Hey everyone, does any of you know of a good way to create a more hidden and subtle way to installl opening mechanism for front of the cave (by opening I mean the wall [or skull like in the img below] will be attached with technic liftarms, and should open by turning some elements or pushing others)? Sort of like in 70411 but I don't want to use the chain that would be visible from the top of the front wall. Any other ways to get this system working in similar manner?

70411-1.jpg?201411050841

If you put the hinge further in the cave so the skull is tilting the other way you could attach the chain to the other side so less visible. I'd probably run the chain through the cave from the back too by using something to keep it high on the roof. Just a thought 

Hello!

I've been lurking around here for a few years on and off but only semi-recently joined because "my project" is finally in a place where I'm becoming comfortable with the idea of showing it to the world. That said, I wanted to ask a few questions first. 🙂

One, does anyone have any suggestions for capturing photos of their creations? I recall seeing a thread somewhere that had some good ideas/suggestions but I can't seem to locate the specific posts. I'd be starting at one step up from the most basic entry level. Basically, I'm looking for suggestions for something better than my phone camera, that's decent for capturing photos of MOC's with small, dark, nooks and crannies, but doesn't cost that much. I guess I'm just asking for some advice from people with some experience with it.

Edited by Vesperas

4 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

@Vesperas : you could try those ones

Thanks! There's a lot of good advice there. I'll probably need to purchase a dedicated camera but I'm going to attempt the lighting/box stuff to begin with. Until recently, I've largely just used renders from Studio when I was asking my cousin for feedback. However, it's still missing parts, and it's impossible to do sails and whatever. More than anything, I just think it's more impressive when I'm looking at an actual photo of something someone built.

As you can see, my phone camera is awful and I will need to take A LOT of photos. :pir-look:

y4mXMiERC5jSgUw4o9hv1W8nMlM9WSrp-5uUrTkI

Edited by Vesperas