Kolonialbeamter

General MOC-Discussion, WIP-Help, and Teaser Thread

10 minutes ago, Count Vroskri said:

It is very nice @Thomas Waagenaar can't wait to see it in real bricks. Will you be finishing the upper masts? Some parts are looking a little strange towards bow and stern, but that is to be expected and sometimes hard to avoid. 

Great Work! 

Thanks!

And yeah, I'll make the upper masts with real bricks, especially since I have no idea how much sag they will have due to weight of sails or anything (Especially since I want to go with full studding sails). So I'm just gonna keep that as last thing and maybe get some metal supports from the hardware store.

@SerenityInFire Thanks! So am I! Once IKEA & Co are done delivering the needed shelf space I can start bricklinking it all ^^

But in the end, it'll (hopefully) all be worth it! :P

Edited by Thomas Waagenaar

@Thomas Waagenaar

It's a very nice looking vessel, I like how large it is, it should be a real beast once finished.

For the sagging, I think it can be solved with a few thread. by attaching them on the masts and on the hull, like on real sail ships.

Working on the modular lower hull for Fer Maiden. Hoping to have it completed over the weekend but, such is life building MOCs in reality vs Stud.io, I of course had to make revisions that required further brink link orders (and damned waiting....)

So far so good for the overall structure, but obviously the SNOT sloped sides being sturdy enough to handle will be key. 

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

On 3/8/2021 at 10:33 AM, Bodi said:

@Thomas Waagenaar

It's a very nice looking vessel, I like how large it is, it should be a real beast once finished.

For the sagging, I think it can be solved with a few thread. by attaching them on the masts and on the hull, like on real sail ships.

Thanks!

And yeah, definitely! Any suggestions for what types of rope would be the best to us? To get it to look right/neat?

2 hours ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

Thanks!

And yeah, definitely! Any suggestions for what types of rope would be the best to us? To get it to look right/neat?

For the ropes, I used to go to a model shop to buy them, but I guess any types of linen thread could do the job too, of diameters varying from 0.6mm to 2mm.

On 3/10/2021 at 11:44 AM, Bodi said:

For the ropes, I used to go to a model shop to buy them, but I guess any types of linen thread could do the job too, of diameters varying from 0.6mm to 2mm.

Agreed. I find I get rather stingy with the nice waxed modelshop thread, while cheaper options look almost just as nice. Some thick sewing thread might be the cheapest option, and still work very well.

Hi all, this is my first attempt at a brig using the 6280 prefab hull parts.  She still needs sails and perhaps a few swivel guns (she's only going to be a merchant vessel).

Merchant Brig WIP

It's heavily inspired by this MOC by @-DoNe-.  @Captain Green Hair's rigging tutorial has also been a big help! It's very much a WIP at this point. I'd love to hear your suggestions for improvement before I get too far into it!

I need help, I suck at making anything lego MOD because i'm mainly the guy who just follows the manual.  I am currently trying to modify the creator 3 in 1 ship by trying to combine the brick bounty and the new 21333 pirates of barracuda bay, i tried redoing the entire hull but that would turn out monumental since the end and back need colossal work since i would have to extend them by a couple of studs.  

from my understanding the LDD is not supported by lego and I was trying to go that route because i'm merging parts yes but I also want to order them from pick a brick/brickling.  Am I stuck doing this the old fashion way?  I must have literally downloaded and re read every single building instructions possible from Lego regarding pirates so I can learn building techniques but my problem is getting all organized and mixed and matching pieces from other sets without putting them back.  

I need a few pointers on what's a good way to get organized so I can focus on this and get the order in knowing Lego takes months to send out them out either way!!! 

Just and FYI gave up on the hull since that would take too much time, my idea is just stuck on adding a door, redoing some handrails, after measuring the sails, the brickseas bounty are the right size since the black seas barracuda reimagine are too big, I love the creator ship but I also want it with pre fab parts, once I realized that ninjago and other famous ship use a brick hulls I was perfectly find with leaving it as is and just completely focus on redoing the upper part.  I've been drawing the bricks so i can search for them later but my life would had been perfect with LDD or a CAD but need guidance on what to do.

I'm going at this too old school i literally drew an expansion for my imperial guards set from 2015 but haven't sat down yet to know what bricks to use and accessories to make this function.  My mind is at a blank now hehe i did not have this problem when I was a kid. heh thank you

Real life construction of L'Aurelie has begun. Hull section 1 of 4 has been completed. Waiting on the BL orders to start hull section 2/4.
More pictures, including a size comparison to the 3 in 1 creator pirate ship are on Flickr.

51092404217_7eabffa21f_b.jpgL'Aurelie by Thomas Waagenaar

Please ignore the missing tile on the gunport. I forgot to put that on before taking the pictures :P

Redbeard has decided that command of a full size frigate is for young captains seeking the utmost adventure and has taken to a smaller core crew and a freshly commissioned 16 gun brig. There are 2 carronades between the aft gallery/lockers. One has a bed and the other will be a small office (or another bed can be set in there).

Barracuda Brig WIP:

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

Still trying to work out the details, but I feel like it's getting there.

On 4/26/2021 at 6:33 PM, Supersick_ said:

Here she is next to the Fer Maiden. 

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

aaah now i need to get parts for this one as well after i Build the Fer Maiden...

27 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

aaah now i need to get parts for this one as well after i Build the Fer Maiden...

Aye, now she's finished. 

1280x720.jpg

1 hour ago, Russel said:

Welcome to Fort Leeward, a fort designed to fend off the toughest of pirates, like fierce Captain Breakwater and her motley crew. Please share and support and any suggestions welcome!

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/e6d5c2bb-9073-4120-ae15-591895ed57e7

IMG-2734-min.png.60b361ab857031bbfbfe17868c9bb531.png

Looks great @Russel! This build deserves its own post, I think - would you be up for making a separate post to showcase it? Worried it will be buried in this thread :pir-huzzah2:

1 hour ago, evancelt said:

Looks great @Russel! This build deserves its own post, I think - would you be up for making a separate post to showcase it? Worried it will be buried in this thread :pir-huzzah2:

Cool I will set up its own post, thanks for the advice!

Hi guys, just found this MOC while google searching something, can someone help me understand how are those BIG barrels constructed?

Do you think they are Container, Barrel Half Large with Axle Hole or without the hole? Also they seem to have some kind of round tile on top - what is that?

Thanks!

50498494993e036ad3a2bf0a3b32d223.jpg

4 minutes ago, zinnn said:

Hi guys, just found this MOC while google searching something, can someone help me understand how are those BIG barrels constructed?

Do you think they are Container, Barrel Half Large with Axle Hole or without the hole? Also they seem to have some kind of round tile on top - what is that?

Thanks!

50498494993e036ad3a2bf0a3b32d223.jpg

That would be 2 of these back to back:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=64951#T=C

Put some 2x2 round bricks with axle hole in it and then a technic axle and you're set

Edited by Thomas Waagenaar

1 minute ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

Put some 2x2 round bricks with axle hole in it and then a technic axle and you're set 

I think I got that figured, but now I'm more curious about how the axle is hidden? There seems to be a round brown tile on top with a tap? Any idea what that round tile is?

The smooth reddish brown piece on top looks like a 2x2 radar dish with a nozzle on top. I think these can fit over axle ends, but what I would do is ditch the axle and use a 4L bar. The bar fits tight in the axle holes and will slip through a radar dish to hold it, which is then hidden by the black hose nozzle being used as the spout.

3 hours ago, Supersick_ said:

The smooth reddish brown piece on top looks like a 2x2 radar dish with a nozzle on top. I think these can fit over axle ends, but what I would do is ditch the axle and use a 4L bar. The bar fits tight in the axle holes and will slip through a radar dish to hold it, which is then hidden by the black hose nozzle being used as the spout.

Thanks! I couldn't think of the part name, glad you did know! 

I'm not sure if a 4L is long enough to quite reach both sides, perhaps 2x a 3L might be?

Will have to check this later too!

14 hours ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

Thanks! I couldn't think of the part name, glad you did know! 

I'm not sure if a 4L is long enough to quite reach both sides, perhaps 2x a 3L might be?

Will have to check this later too!

I'm sure there are a few ways to do this but here's what I was thinking. Pictures being a thousand words and all that...

1280x720.jpg

7 hours ago, Supersick_ said:

I'm sure there are a few ways to do this but here's what I was thinking. Pictures being a thousand words and all that...

1280x720.jpg

Yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind too!

Except I also wanted to try if a radar dish at the bottom would be do-able since I personally like storing my barrels sideways. Just haven't been able to test that yet, but I feel like there won't be any bar that will fit that way without modifying it one way or another... 

38 minutes ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind too!

Except I also wanted to try if a radar dish at the bottom would be do-able since I personally like storing my barrels sideways. Just haven't been able to test that yet, but I feel like there won't be any bar that will fit that way without modifying it one way or another... 

Oh yeah if you want to make it symmetrical just use 2x 3L bars and do a radar dish on each.