Kolonialbeamter

General MOC-Discussion, WIP-Help, and Teaser Thread

On 12/23/2017 at 3:52 PM, 2maxwell said:

Hey guys, I just ordered a few bearskin hats and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using them with various backpacks. I never see the combo; do they not fit together?

Are you talking about the ones used on the Royal Guardsman Minifigure? If so, then yes. I've made some Guards/Grenadier soldiers with them, and they fit with the standard backpack. I'll see if I can't get a picture.

I've been working on a project to help my pretty much non-existent Naval forces. In doing so, I'm in the process of refitting my Brick Bounty as a Redcoat privateer, and I created the below as an interim Bluecoat craft (for context I have about 3 times as many Redcoat sailors). As for my creation, I labeled it a Gunboat, although I don't know if it would qualify as such. I have two main concerns/questions- should I change the mast to the solid mast piece; and would it be better to keep the Gunboat or scrap it for something larger and more substantial (such as a Cutter, or at most a Sloop). I'm unsure, as I think each can be useful; though I do like the idea of a coastal support craft.

32849152508_ee1d8c3913.jpgGunboat #1 by Jonathan Wallace, on Flickr

@CommanderJonny1 Hello and welcome to our pirate's cove :tongue:. Your build is a nice first try and it's your decision should you want to keep this moc of yours or try to build something larger. Regarding the masts of this size, I think brick built ones (with many arts used) look better and having multiples of this piece works wonders. If you have the time, always use rigging (some string and a cloth or paper) as they make vessels look a lot better.

If however you decide to go larger, in my opinion, the first thing you should do is to widen the vessel a bit to make it look more "realistic" (at least in minifig scale).

Anyway, i hope I've been of help to you and as always, keep building!

Edited by blackdeathgr

Thanks! I'm big in to history, so this goes hand in hand.

9 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

If you have the time, always use rigging (some string and a cloth or paper) as they make vessels look a lot better.

I have used those strings for rigging, though I admit to it being a bit lacking.

39791802023_9dbf0f9a7e.jpgGunboat #2(R) by Jonathan Wallace, on Flickr

9 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

If however you decide to go larger, in my opinion, the first thing you should do is to widen the vessel a bit to make it look more "realistic" (at least in minifig scale).

I did think it was a bit narrow, but I justified it as it being small enough in size; I wanted more than just rowboats. Also, it gives me a nice name (Swordfish), though historically Gunboats were actually numbered. Anyways, thank you for the feedback!

Soon as the Land Bounty comes out, I might see about making some modifications of it for Lego Pirates, Circa 2015.

Or maybe the Dieselnaught.

WIP of Chapmann no. 18

Chapmann no 18 WIP.lxf

This is eventually going to be the Chapmann no. 18. La Capitana, a row galley from Malta.

She is now at a stage where the model both presents new challenges, especially on the stern castle, and saves me because the design of the actual ship is sensible. She is also somewhat recognizable, therefore this teaser.

The bricks you can see beside the actual hull are measuring guides

To clarify. The naval architect Fredrik af Chapmann, published the treasure “Architectura Navalis Mercatoria” in 1768.

The book consists of accurate linedrawings of ships from the age of sail.

I have wanted to make some of the ships from Chapmann for quite some time. Made the initial measuring and research for this one about three years ago, and then put her on hold.

At the time, she differed too much from anything I had done before. Now with a bunch of medieval ships under my belt I have confidence to take her on once again.

As the source material provides the lines, there is no clear source given for the overall look.

Here I will mainly draw inspiration from the larger Spanish galley “Real” the flagship of Don John of Austria in the Battle of Lepanto in 1571. As this is only inspiration, I will still consider her the Chapmann no. 18.

Edited by Anders T

Hey guys! I have a question for anyone who's built a ship with an uninterrupted mast section taller than a 32 axle (~27 bricks) but only using the 2x2 round bricks. Since the 32 axle is the longest made by Lego how do you make sure the mast is strong enough in the area where there's no axle or if using two they both meet? Or is this not a problem once the rigging has been done? Is it possible to source custom made axles greater than 32? Any help is greatly appreciated! Cheers

Welcome to Eurobricks, @Black Pearl! Having custom rigging really decreases the whole build's fragile spots on the masts and will most likely solve that problem if it's tight enough. Of course, keep in mind that it wont entirely solve your problem, but personally I just leave the top without axle connections because the only hazard to the top is just knocking in to the whole thing or if it's meant for kids more than for collectors. If you wish to go the route of third party items, you can always purchase small metal bars to put through the masts. Personally, what i'd do if it's 59 bricks tall is just use a 32 axle and 16 axle and then leave the top connected normally. The only route I'd advise against for axles is using many small axles to connect the entire thing. I don't generally use size 8's or under as having a bunch can just lead to removing the clutch power of the piece.

Hope this helps!:laugh:

Hi @The Neighborhood Merchant, Thanks for the welcome and very useful information! Sounds as though it should be strong enough then once the rigging is done. It'll be more aimed as a display model than a play model so hopefully I'll get away with a slightly weaker mast!

Maybe it is the blurriness of the picture, but it seems like a ghost ship to me.

I am guessing the Octavius.

Another guess could be the Unicorn, as you say it is a ship of the line, and the Unicorn was based on the fourth ranked Le Brilliant.

21 hours ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Looking forward to seeing it! It looks like an absolute behemoth from the picture! I have no clue what black fictional ships are out there other than the Pearl. :tongue:

If I revealed the true colours it'd be too easy! :wink:

9 hours ago, Anders T said:

Maybe it is the blurriness of the picture, but it seems like a ghost ship to me.

I am guessing the Octavius.

Another guess could be the Unicorn, as you say it is a ship of the line, and the Unicorn was based on the fourth ranked Le Brilliant.

Not that you need any more bragging rights... :laugh: but you are indeed correct! She's the Unicorn! As a little tidbit, though the Unicorn only has enough armament to be considered a fourth rate and whilst there is indeed a fourth rate named Le Brilliant, I believe she's actually based on the third rate Le Brilliant launched 1690.

On 12/1/2019 at 1:40 PM, Black Pearl said:

Hey guys! I have a question for anyone who's built a ship with an uninterrupted mast section taller than a 32 axle (~27 bricks) but only using the 2x2 round bricks. Since the 32 axle is the longest made by Lego how do you make sure the mast is strong enough in the area where there's no axle or if using two they both meet? Or is this not a problem once the rigging has been done? Is it possible to source custom made axles greater than 32? Any help is greatly appreciated! Cheers

That teaser looks very sweet :D

My advice concerning the masts is using steel cable 3mm (or whatever is long and 3mm thick). You can cut it the length you want and it is very stable. Especially for a ship the size of that, you can't solely rely on the rigging.

Anyway, good luck with the rigging!

Black Pearl that is magnificent.

-And some questions pop to mind

Are you doing her as a wreck?

If, so…

Is it going to be a whole scene from Red Rackhams treasure?

-With the Shark-sub from Professor Tournesol (Calculus, to some)

Is it going to be something like the awesome Flying Dutchman from that very cool Belgian Sebeus I?

Are you just using these colors as guides to yourself and pure smoke and tricks to everyone else?

Looking forward to see some more.

Thanks Anders T! Hmmm some very interesting questions indeed! I could answer your questions... or I could keep everyone guessing since the reveal is only about a week away.

What I will say though is that what you’ve seen so far are renders only, however the finished product will indeed be made in the physical world...

49467448133_4a2bca102e_c.jpgUnicorn Cross Section by Black Pearl, on Flickr

I know said coming January 2020... but amongst moving houses and various other things unfortunately she isn't quite ready for viewing. Whilst the whole ship is done except for the rigging it'll still be a little while before I can properly show her to you all, so instead I have this side build I built first. Wish I could show you the whole ship but this'll have to do for now.

On 4/24/2020 at 7:31 PM, gza said:

Hi all, just want to share the little merchant tender l I made for the new BSB to plunder.

Hi and welcome to the Pirates Forum !

Nice little row boat and poor Armada guy, alone against an entire Pirate Crew... :cannon::jollyroger:

I like the anchor made with a pickaxe, it's original.

On 4/24/2020 at 7:31 PM, gza said:

Hope the images post properly.

They are; but if you don't want to see the titles poping at the right of them, you should remove it from the BBC line code of your link.

You did it right to remove the last part "... by... on FlickR" but the title of the picture can be removed too.  I tend to do this as it makes a proper image without any distraction around it.

I'm not sure if I should open a new topic in the MOC forum, as I want to post some pics about the development and have a lot of questions.

Uploading 100kb? Is this a kind of joke?

I'm currently building this ship and hope for some feedback. She ship is planned to be a blue coats ship with 2 battery decks (there already), a bridge (partially there and color still wrong) and a front castle (is that the correct word, no idea how to do this yet.

It's made of form pieces, 7 middle pieces and 1 end piece and currently is ~ 70 cm long.

No idea how to build the bow, same about masts, sails and so on, but I'll deal with it, when I'm there and will rebuild a lot of pieces until then. As I'm still working on the hull, it's very naked, but this wont change until I'm settled as I'm still working on the general look.

Lot's of colors are wrong, but I hope to have during next week all the dark brown form pieces for the bottom to swap it to the correct colors.

The general color approach: bottom dark brow, rest of the ship reddish brown, decks & battery line in Tan.

This is how it currently looks:

Alsace_small.jpg

I would love to post more pictures, but currently I'm allowed to do so.

One of my issues is the modularity the 2nd battery deck is not fixed to the body. It's planned to be in 3 parts, the bridge area, the middle & the front (without the bow). You can identify it, but the middle section that has no deck.

But to enter this middle module is really hard and the whole thing is under pressure, will this go away during the build? Or should I combine middle & front to only one piece? Should I not go this module approach?

As the battery decks are not totally horizontal is maybe not really helping my approach.

Would love to post more fotos, but this is currently impossible for me.

Any questions? And tipps? And recommendations or comments?

On 5/31/2020 at 1:40 PM, 5N00P1 said:

Uploading 100kb? Is this a kind of joke?

Alsace_small.jpg

Use Flickr.

Put the picture link inside your post and it will automatically show the photo.

This is how it's done here.

I'm not quite ready to post the whole MOC but I couldn't resist posting this feature of it.

49971813123_7a0239c767_c.jpg

EDIT: It takes you to a video of it working if you click

Edited by rock raider