Kolonialbeamter

General MOC-Discussion, WIP-Help, and Teaser Thread

Its too beautiful XD, I'm giving him the imperial armada instead XD

Yes that is the one in talking about, thanks so what is the tecknic pin piece number, just to help ordering them

This is the part: 4274 Light Blueish Grey Technic, Pin 1/2

The ship will look nice with this fitting ;)

This part is available as Extra in many Sets. So i believe you might have them :)

Cheers

Edited by VintageLegoEra

Hi guys and i was wondering...

I merged your topic with this General MOC-Discussion, WIP-Help, and Teaser Thread. Such specific questions are encouraged to be asked, but do not merit their own thread. So this thread was created. :thumbup:

Hey hey,

this is gonna be my 500th post :purrr:

For this occasion I thought to show you a little something, a glimpse of what's ahead.

It's still digital... but... :pir-wink:

25145556981_409528331d_c.jpg

Overly excited soldier with banana for scale.

Hey, I didn't know you were into Lego architecture! Which skyscraper is it? :grin::pir-laugh:

More like what rate is it, and is it based on something real?

Be patient and see, huh? :grin:

The colorscheme looks great so far. :classic:

Nice rudder KB. :thumbup:

I recommend using tow balls to attach it to the hull.

Nice rudder KB. thumbup.gif

I recommend using tow balls to attach it to the hull.

Hull? Do I need that, too? Better don't mess with you, you know too much.

Hey, I didn't know you were into Lego architecture! Which skyscraper is it? default_laugh2.gifpirate_laugh_new.gif

More like what rate is it, and is it based on something real?

Be patient and see, huh? default_laugh2.gif

The colorscheme looks great so far. default_classic.gif

You think I would settle for something less than first rate? :pir-wink:

Hehe, yep, wait and see it is.

One last thing: She's indeed based on real plans. Very detailed plans even.

I think I could use a little help here.

This is the current mock-up of the top deck of a ship I'm working on for BoBS (as well as being a personal project for the last year or so):

d7b6848c-9495-4a3c-a3b8-b4d93b7f1cba.png

(Lesson for next time: Don't rely on Photobucket's resize function).

The hull (not shown) and cabin are finished - externally, at least - leaving me with the questions of masts, numbers of and placement. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about historical ship types and I'm not really aiming for historical accuracy, just something that looks pirate-y enough.

So I guess I'm asking for some advice on what to do about the masts.

The ship is being built using classic hull pieces from the Brick Seas Barracuda that I picked up a couple of years ago in a small-ish lot of parts that also included a couple of classic base plates. As well as the bow/stern pieces there are three hull sections.

The other thing I should mention is that extensive rigging is out: I'm building the thing to be modular, so everything past the front section around the bowsprit is going to be removable. Currently I'm looking at three sections: Cabin, stairs and main deck, though the main deck could get split into two.

(I'm building a physical version of this, I've got some work in progress shots to upload at some point).

Hi there fellow ship lovers.. I'm kind of new to Lego ships MOC, so i've started one project of mine based on Skipper's excellent HMS Reliant LDD. Originally, I wanted to build 'The Walrus', Captain Flint's ship from the tv series Black Sails, but it's rather hard to obtain clear reference pictures of it. And so i settled for an 'inspired' version.

It is still a WIP, much more to be done, and once done, I'm planning to bricklink the parts and build it. What do you think?

walrusmoc.jpg

I'm sorry this went so long with out a reply, doesn't seem right.

Any way, although I'm a fan of the show, I'm less a fan of the ships. I'm sure it has to do with production demands, but something about them is just lacking. Now, despite that I can still say, positively, that you are defiantly off to a good start. What you have certainly does look like Walrus.

Omething you might like to step away from is the rather "hot dog" shaped profile of the production ships. Unlike period sailing ships, the one(s) used in the show are round on the ends and tubular in the middle. Though it would differ from her apperence in the show, using some thing more CGH like to bolster the hull amid ship might make her look more natural. Adding on a focsle would also make her look more realistic and pleasing to the eye, by counter balancing that massive stern cabin, but again detract from her likeness to the TV version.

I think what you have here is worth perusing. I'm surprised there havn't been more Black Sails fan creations here already. I'm curoius what your pland re: rigging and real-world building are?

Progressing on my new ship, 3 days in:

26030899525_68027322c2_z.jpg

The odd second deck will be explained once the ship is done and gets its own thread:P

The upper part of the stern will be redone, not to happy with what I have there so far.

Recently I took apart Ghost and Old Narthex to recycle their parts into a new ship done in my current style. Though I’ve pressed on towards completion with the likes of Ramcat and Nonesuch, I have been aware of certain lackings in the style, which I always intended to solve. Key among these are sheer curve and counter (the concave underside curve which can be seen above the waterline at the stern on most wooden ships). Once I’ve decided on a hull design and chosen an appropriate rig for her I believe I can document my rigging process as to provide a guide for those who find it mystifying or wish to emulate it.

I’ve once again used the bricks flexibility and natural tolerance to create a curving effect along the sheer in conjunction with the breadth and tumble home shapes as before. For the counter at the stern I made the lower portion of the hull, near the water line, two levels which bend inwards two different distances. Though the overhang is still imperfect I don’t think there is too much more I can do at this scale.

So, what am I asking?

Is the effect immediately noticeable?

Is the effect convincing?

Does anyone have an interest in the fore mentioned demonstration?

Please pay no attention to Spiderman or my mess of a work space pirate_look.gif

20160319_210837_zps8xahrcfl.jpg

More Images Here

Edited by kurigan

So I've finally decided to take the plunge. I've always wanted to try my hand a large ship and thus loved the Imperial Flagship. I've recently come across the hull and flags from that set at a GREAT price! I've decided to turn it into a pirate ship instead (blasphemy, I know). I don't plant on changing up much (beyond the colors). The biggest change will be to the back of the vessel; something between Metalbeard's and the Schooner ship. I'll be sure to post some pics when it is done.

Thanks Kurigan for the feedback and invaluable tips :) my plan was to build a Walrus-inspired ship, probably a pirate-refitted east-indiaman. I've done some screencapturing of the Walrus from the show and it seems that the Walrus is indeed almost hotdog-shaped.. a rather long and narrow ship. in fact, very much like the PotC Black Pearl. I've rebuilt my ship in LDD from scratch, hoping to capture the look based on the screencaps that i've done.

I'm going for the TV-likeness, and for now just building the ship in LDD before bricklinking the parts.

Any way, although I'm a fan of the show, I'm less a fan of the ships. I'm sure it has to do with production demands, but something about them is just lacking. Now, despite that I can still say, positively, that you are defiantly off to a good start. What you have certainly does look like Walrus.

Omething you might like to step away from is the rather "hot dog" shaped profile of the production ships. Unlike period sailing ships, the one(s) used in the show are round on the ends and tubular in the middle. Though it would differ from her apperence in the show, using some thing more CGH like to bolster the hull amid ship might make her look more natural. Adding on a focsle would also make her look more realistic and pleasing to the eye, by counter balancing that massive stern cabin, but again detract from her likeness to the TV version.

I think what you have here is worth perusing. I'm surprised there havn't been more Black Sails fan creations here already. I'm curoius what your pland re: rigging and real-world building are?

After abandoning the previous project and restarted from scratch.. here's the progress of my Walrus inspired East-Indiaman:

walrus2.jpg

Now that ship looks nice. Great progress so far. :thumbup:

I'd be really happy with this ship in real bricks.

Now that ship looks nice. Great progress so far. :thumbup:

I'd be really happy with this ship in real bricks.

Thank you for the kind words pirate_satisfied.gif

still a WIP..

port side view

W01.jpg

front view

W02.jpg

the capstan, door (and stairs to the lower deck), wheel and doors to the Captain's cabin

W03.jpg

the well deck and forecastle

W04.jpg

the stern

W05.jpg

I really like how the Walrus is developping!!!

I am looking forward to the finished vessel!

Are you LDD building with only existing pieces?

I really like how the Walrus is developping!!!

I am looking forward to the finished vessel!

Are you LDD building with only existing pieces?

Thank you Maxim I pirate_satisfied.gif

I'm LDD building with existing pieces (and colours) only.. going to add the swivel guns before proceeding with the masts.

Updates: apologies for the picture heavy posts ..

W01%20overall%20fore.jpg

the forecastle (changed the grate doors to the lower deck)

W02%20forecastle.jpg

Forecastle and well deck

W03%20forecastle%202.jpg

Well deck and main mast area

W04%20well%20deck%20and%20wheel.jpg

Stern view

W06%20Stern.jpg

cannons and the boats (the boats are upside down and can be mounted over the well deck)

W07%20cannons%20amp%20boats.jpg

by the way, i am rather clueless about the floor 'grates'.. are they meant to open on hinges to provide access to a lower deck? or are they just there to allow light to pass down to the lower deck, and thus cannot be removed/opened?

also, where would their location typically be on an east indiaman/frigate? from the TV shows, i think there are at least 3 such grates; 1 on the forecastle, and two on the weather deck..

Yes, they are called grates or gratings. They serve as hatch covers and skylights as you suggest. Typically, being made of oak or some other hardwood, they are very heave and therefore rarely fastened sown. They can be replaced with housings, skylights (of the window variety), or hinged door ways. It all depends on the preferences of the ships master and crew. Gratings are most common on men-of-war to maximize deck space. The gratings also serve the double purpose of a frame against men being flogged can be lashed upright. Most ships have three hatch ways. Focsle, waist and quarter deck. Larger ships can have more.

I'm liking the new direction. Keep with it.

Thanks kurigan for the information pirate_satisfied.gif . I'm learning new things in this forum, gone thru most of the tutorials and none actually cover the gratings (as far as i've read). :)

I will maintain the hinged gratings on the forecastle and poop deck, and add a new one on the waist.

Yes, they are called grates or gratings. They serve as hatch covers and skylights as you suggest. Typically, being made of oak or some other hardwood, they are very heave and therefore rarely fastened sown. They can be replaced with housings, skylights (of the window variety), or hinged door ways. It all depends on the preferences of the ships master and crew. Gratings are most common on men-of-war to maximize deck space. The gratings also serve the double purpose of a frame against men being flogged can be lashed upright. Most ships have three hatch ways. Focsle, waist and quarter deck. Larger ships can have more.

I'm liking the new direction. Keep with it.

Would a Xebec with 2 gundecks be possible?

I can't find examples of it, so they probably never have been build...

But theoretically, would it be possible?

Well, I think it could be possible theoretically, how ever I imagine such ship would be quite large, and the second gun deck wouldnt be excatly what you could call a gun deck... Its hard to imagine this as there are no historical evidences or plans, but Id say if youre planning on making one, give it a shot! Only your imagination is your limit and even if it didnt never exist or couldnt have sailed, I dont think that matters much IMHO. As long as theres some imagination to it.

Captain Becker.

Well, while I couldn't find any double-decked Xebecs, I've found this one:

14002_1.jpg

(I hope nobody minds me linking the shop where I found this model - if so tell me and I'll remove it, but there are a few more pictures of this Xebec)

which has some guns on the quarterdeck overlapping the guns on the gundeck. You could include a full second deck, but I still feel like a double decked Xebec would feel odd. But there is nothing speaking against trying it out, so go for it - if it doesn't work out as well you still have a ship which was a prototype which was decided to never be build again ;) (Someone has to be the first to build something that he thinks is worth building)

I would not include a big cabin at the stern and only use small custom guns on the upper gundeck - I think those would make it to bulky. As well as that, keep the bow flat:D