Of all the baja trucks posted lately this is imo the best one yet.. the chassis and inclusion of a piston engine make it much wow..

Great work! I like the scale of it and I prefer the second image. How I would love a new buggy motor.

H

A feltöltött képek alapján Én is elkészítettem az itthon lévő alkatrészeimből. Amennyire tudtam. :classic:

Based on the pictures I have built this Baja Trophy Truck. Some parts could be other, that the original. :classic:

Edited by kozso198700

There are a few lego designers who I look up too, and you are one of them. Your models inspire me to build and also teach me many valuable lessons in technical building. This model is beautifully executed. I can't wait to build it for myself.

I'm sorry for the delay of sharing instructions.

Your reverse engineering made me surprized! It looks close to the original.

Now I'm building more reliable rear axle which doesn't damage any gears. Upcoming full instructions contain this improved rear axle. Hopefully I will share them until next weekend.

I solved the problem of rear axle!

Original version in the video had noticeable flaw of worn knob wheels. I haven't known how it affected to performance until I shot the video outdoor. The noise and friction of worn knob wheels made me think that original instructions should not be shared. So I decided to build new reliable rear axle. It was hard to make it while keeping original width, torque and RPM.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Surprisingly those 12t bevel gears never get worn or damaged. :thumbup: Each pairs of engaged bevel gears need to handle the torque of just one L motor. I've known that single L motor doesn't break bevel gears. It can be seen in my previous project of CUV and Blue Buggy.

Improved building instructions and more pictures are now available at https://plus.google....64977943/albums

Rebrickable: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/Madoca1977/baja-trophy-truck-with-sbrick :wink:

Edited by Madoca 1977

While I'm not a fan of hard coupled motors, this design looks like a very good alternative to the buggy motors. It's compact and will keep the centre of gravity very low. Great job.

Great improvement! Any chance of seeing this in action?

While you're at it, do you thinking suspension could be made softer?

I don't have any plans of shooting another video of improved version. (Maybe I will use its rear axle in future projects.)

In a few minutes of driving, performance didn't make any difference between two versions. In endurance test of over twenty minutes, the original tended to be slower with squeaky noise of damaged knob wheels. But improved version kept running smoothly at the same speed as it started.

When it is stationary, all four shock absorbers are compressed a little. I thought its ground clearance is good. Softer suspension will work but shocks tend to be compressed more. Then suspension travel and ground clearance become shorter.

This is the comparison of two versions of rear axle setting.

original

800x450.jpg

improved (Rear end became higher about one stud)

800x450.jpg

Hi,

thank you very much for sharing all that work with us !

I have posted a note about your MOC on a french site, here with 2 modifications to integrate the standard PFS receivers in good conditions. Any worries, please let me know, I will edit.

Thanks again,

Neuro

Hi Madoca, another excellent creation :)

Two questions:

1. will 94.8 x 44 R Balloon Tyre fit?

2. Any chance to have simplified version that could use only 2 L motors?

Simply beautiful! Love what you did with the chassis, very inspiring. And amazing speed for such a big MOC without using the buggy motor.

1. will 94.8 x 44 R Balloon Tyre fit?

2. Any chance to have simplified version that could use only 2 L motors?

Balloon tires fit well. Because of their shape, they look slightly smaller than Unimog tyres. That's why I used Unimog tyres.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

The whole model weighs nearly 2000 grams. Using two L motors is not enough for driving such a heavy model at proper speed. Especially on rough terrain, it would be much slower.

Gearing down makes more torque but it would also slow the model. :sceptic:

This is how I added four pairs of LEDs with tiny modification on the roof.

800x450.jpg

AWESOME!!!! Best looking MOC ever!!!!

Congrats!!!!

Tell me: instead of Sbricks, and using 2 V2 Receivers, what modifications have to be made??

Hi Madoca,

I was inspired by your creation and I'm trying to buy something similar. It's my first creation and I know I don't have the skill to buy something as complex as yours, but I think that trying to emulate your model (at least the chassis-engine-steering) will be a challening but very educational task.

I know that L motors are not very powerful, and their speed is not the speed that I wold in my model.

Then I'm trying to replicate the way you are connecting the 4 L motors, but gearing up them in a factor 1:1,6 instead as 1:1 like yours.

Can you please judge the way I connected them?

post-155034-0-57383900-1457623230_thumb.jpeg

I used four 20-tooth gears connected directly to the L motors, giving transmission to four classical 12-tooth bevel gears, two for every wheel, like yours; creating then a gearing up of 12:20.

Tires are maybe too little compared to the body (Lego technic 8437 Off Road Future Car) but they are the only I actually have.

All advices are well accepted! Thank you!

Detail 1:

post-155034-0-91666800-1457623297_thumb.jpg

Thanks for building! Your setting is faster than my Truck. For offroad driving, I think you should reinforce the assembly around rear axle. Otherwise they will be come off by the torque of L motors. On my instruction page, you can see that 15L dark bluish gray beams which are crossing rear axle hold rear section assembly.