Sign in to follow this  
T-Brick27

Lego Zissou Life Aquatic Rejected by Lego Ideas

Hey all, this is my first post here and my first Lego moc. Lots of firsts.

Since the Lego Ideas site can't approve my project, I wanted to share it with some true Lego fans. Please check out the rest of my project pics here: https://www.flickr.c.../133518136@N08/ and like me on Facebook https://www.facebook...646432325635280 - where I'll be posting a lot more Zissou Lego over the next month. Here's a hint ..... it was a long range sub hunter.

Here it is...Lego Life Aquatic. Zissou Deep Search Sub.

post-142323-0-79389900-1441436010_thumb.jpg

Also here's what I wrote for my Lego Ideas submission description that will never be scene :

This is a – Brick – Adventure !! Lego Steve Zissou wants you on Team Brick Zissou.

Included in the set is: Our topnotch research sub The Deep Search. Coral reef (it's teeming with marine life). Two Albino Dolphin Scouts that swim with the ship. They're supposedly very intelligent... although I've never seen any evidence of it. Plus all kinds of radar and sonar and under water movie gadgets

Minifigs Included:

-Steve Zissou - Captain, videographer, frontman

-Wolodarsky - physicist, original score composer

-Klaus Daimler - engineer, calm collected, German

-Pele dos Santos - speedo wearing, safety expert

Did LEGO give any indication as to why it wasn't suitable for LEGO Ideas (i.e. which of the criteria it failed against)?

It looks interesting, is that thing in the picture meant to be a keyboard or piano or is it something else?

Edited by jonwil

I think this creation is based on an R-rated movie about revenge killing. Maybe figs armed with pistols, speedo and explosives. It might have passed the LEGO brand value test if it was an idea about scientific research submarine studying coral reefs and environmental protection of sensitive sea life. It is a nice build.

It is a nice build. I love the movie. But it definitely does not fit with LEGO's core values. (not that everything that is released fits with them either). But I can understand why they'd have the problem with it.

Ya , I tried a second submission re branding it Oceanographer set and that didn't work either. Really I wanted to see if a Life Aquatic by Wes Anderson set would get through. I wasn't surprised at all when it didn't.

Yes that is meant to be a keyboard for the sound guy.

Thanks

Edited by T-Brick27

Looks like a nice sub and that sealife build with the dolphins and little pink fish looks nice as well. I was a bit confused with the figures though as apart from the swimmer they did not obviously fit. I had to Google it to find out what it was all about, so having done that I can see why they would not want it. However I am surprised that they rejected a submission based on just a research sub if that is how you approached the re-make.

As dumb as it sounds, your first title most likely didn't pass because not every word started capitalized. Yeah, they didn't make that automatic, and they don't tell you that precisely either.

There's certainly nothing wrong with the theme of the movie. Revenge killing? That's in about every movie. Like.. SW to start with.

Edited by anothergol

Ha, It appears that LEGO Ideas have proper English requirements in their guidelines.

Use proper grammar, capitalization, and punctuation.

Your project title and description text should be clearly understood and in proper case. Do not use ALL CAPS, all lowercase, MiXEd cAsE, txtspeak, ch4tsp34k, heavy punctuation!!!!!!!, etc. (As you can see, it’s hard to read).

It is probably not a bad idea to review their current guildelines and that your project complies with them before submitting.

Ha, It appears that LEGO Ideas have proper English requirements in their guidelines.

Use proper grammar, capitalization, and punctuation.

Your project title and description text should be clearly understood and in proper case. Do not use ALL CAPS, all lowercase, MiXEd cAsE, txtspeak, ch4tsp34k, heavy punctuation!!!!!!!, etc. (As you can see, it’s hard to read).

It is probably not a bad idea to review their current guildelines and that your project complies with them before submitting.

And here I thought it was rejected due to its source material :laugh:

Beautiful MOC, T-Bricks27!

Hey all,

Thanks for the support. Maybe I'll try again down the road if enough people like it. I do think that the main concern with LEGO is the adult nature of the Brand of the Life Aquatic Movie. It is a shame though, there is a lot of Wes Anderson (director of Life Aquatic) fans out there and this would still be a fun set for kids.

Here's what the official LEGO statement read :

We reviewed your project submission and unfortunately it does not fit the LEGO® Ideas mold; it refers to a brand or licensed property that doesn’t fit the LEGO Group’s standards for appropriate content or themes.

While there might not be anything in your project itself that is against our policy, the brand or licensed property your project refers to contains content or themes that we find inappropriate for a potential LEGO product. We’re afraid that LEGO Ideas cannot accept a project submission based on this brand or licensed property.

Hey all,

Thanks for the support. Maybe I'll try again down the road if enough people like it. I do think that the main concern with LEGO is the adult nature of the Brand of the Life Aquatic Movie. It is a shame though, there is a lot of Wes Anderson (director of Life Aquatic) fans out there and this would still be a fun set for kids.

Here's what the official LEGO statement read :

We reviewed your project submission and unfortunately it does not fit the LEGO® Ideas mold; it refers to a brand or licensed property that doesn’t fit the LEGO Group’s standards for appropriate content or themes.

While there might not be anything in your project itself that is against our policy, the brand or licensed property your project refers to contains content or themes that we find inappropriate for a potential LEGO product. We’re afraid that LEGO Ideas cannot accept a project submission based on this brand or licensed property.

Now see, it's times like this where I really scratch my head when it comes to their, what it seems, is a pick & choose policy. I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know what they saw that they didn't like. But, using the statement above, how did they manage to get the Carnage fig through? The guys a psychotic serial killer... I mean, "content or themes that we find inappropriate...". One could argue it's just a figure with no backstory, the same could be said for this set. Anyone could look up Carnage's history just as well as this movie.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted to see Carnage, as I'd never thought it'd happen, so even though it seems like I'm complaining about getting the fig, I'm not. It's just strange what they put through & don't.