Sign in to follow this  
simonjedi

Lego set numbers

I brought a lego set earlier today (clone battlepack) and on the box it said 7655.

I know its the set number but what does it mean?

I did a quick Google search and looked on lego's wiki entry but there was nothing.

I don't know about you, but I just googled 'lego 7655' and I found a whole bunch of results which said: Lego Star Wars Clone Battle Pack 7655. Methinks you are missing something... Which wiki did you look it up on? I look up set numbers on wikipedia. Brickipedia and Brickwiki don't have them listed... *wacko*

I could be wrong but I think he wants to know what does the number actually mean? As in...does the number itself signify anything?

It doesn't mean anything in itself though - does it? It's just like a quick reference for identifying/selling/producing the set. Each theme tends to have its own number sequence, other than that there's no signifiance I don't think.

Dr. S.

i know the set numbers 7655 6311 e.c.t

re reading the OP it doesn't seem clear 'll rephrase it

how does Lego come up with the numbers on the box, using the example of the clone BP is the 7 the year, 6 the lego system ID, 55 the 55th kit released this year

(note: i know the numbers -> reasons don't make sense but i was making it up)

EDIT: Doctor Sinister replied while i was posted and thanks for the answer :) the sort of thing i was talking about

Edited by simonjedi

there is no rationale behind the numbers. it's randomly picked and once they used the range they move on. but sometimes coming back to the same range again. i don't know who would be geeky enough to try and discipher the meaning of the lego set numbers. :-P

there is no rationale behind the numbers. it's randomly picked and once they used the range they move on. but sometimes coming back to the same range again. i don't know who would be geeky enough to try and discipher the meaning of the lego set numbers. :-P

Actually i don't know if exist a logic to the number. But on 80s and 90s was some logic.

1??? was for promotional sets

45?? was for 9v trains

60?? was for castle

62?? was for pirates

68?? and 69?? was for space

and so many others themes. But even there are some excpetions.

Actually i don't know if exist a logic to the number. But on 80s and 90s was some logic.

45?? was for 9v trains

60?? was for castle

62?? was for pirates

don't forget 67?? for western :-P

and yes, this is true... and the bigger the 2 later numbers in the 4 digit set number, the bigger the set. this even holds true today... when LEGO releases a run the bigger the number the bigger the set.

for example the 2007 aquaradiers sets... 7770, 7771, 7772, 7773, 7774, 7775, and 7776. same for 2007 castle, etc..

back in the 90's i think LEGO attempted to leave space in the middle of the runs, so that they could then come back to the theme, and fill in the set numbers, so that the set's piece count would still increase in size with set number. looking at a theme that spand many years, like pirates, this becomes very evident.

today, i don't think LEGO is considering theme longivity, so they aren't looking to fill the set number like they did in the 90's. consiquently, they aren't leaving space between numbers. this is a real shame, as i think we need some theme longivity. so in a way, the set number do represent a lot about how the LEGO company works, especially when looking in retrospect.

- BM

This is turnng into some sort of conspiracy! :-D :-P

All I know is that the themes go in sequence.

I think Brick Miner has got it right.

Batbrick Away! >:-)

Edited by Batbrick

(...) and the bigger the 2 later numbers in the 4 digit set number, the bigger the set. this even holds true today... when LEGO releases a run the bigger the number the bigger the set.

I think that exists just an exception to this, the Mars Mission theme *sweet*

45?? was for 9v trains

60?? was for castle

62?? was for pirates

You forgot the most important one: 80?? for technic. *wub* :-P *sad*

My thoughts exactly! I love the old 80?? *wub* *wub*

I dind't forgot. I said that exist other themes *sweet*

I dind't forgot. I said that exist other themes *sweet*

Yes that's true but you should have specialized it. >:-) ;-)

I know this is an old topic but I'm trying to make sense of some set numbers from 80s/90s. I'm sorting my collection of instructions and the three lowest set numbers I have are 1477, 1480, and 1497. I would have assumed that set numbers were just sequential at with release but this does not appear to be the case - 1477 and 1480 are both from 1991 but 1497 is from 1987, at least according to bricklink. (Side note, I would have been 4 in 1987, I am surprised I still have it!)