Sign in to follow this  
nerdsforprez

Mocpages down again.......

*sigh* Mocpages.com has been down for nearly 24 hours now. Earlier this week it was also having huge problems with showing pictures. There have been lots of problems in the past as well......

I know there are many users, particularly in the Technic arena, that use the site. There are many benefits, IMO, over other sites such as Flickr or brickshelf. One of which the opportunity to actually provide more information, narrative, etc. to your builds, comment receive likes, etc...... post youtube videos, and more. But, I wonder of the long-term viability of the site. Why so many problems? Is it a sign of the overall crashing and dying of the site? Does anyone have any inside information about the long-term viability of the site?

I know there are alternative sites, so providing those on this thread really won't be of any use. Or preferences of others. That is not the reason of this post. I have looked into others and I simply like mocpages the best..... but if it is dying and will be one day die completely..... then even though I like it I will be forced to use other sites to share my stuff. Any thoughts, inside information, or comments about my specific question?

I've been on MocPages for several years and it's always been like this (used to be worse, in fact) but, for all the reasons you say, it's certainly my favourite of the Lego sharing websites. I think it'll keep on stumbling along for a while yet .

It's normal, MOCPages crashes from time to time. It sounds like they may have a corrupted database. Those data things can take time to recover.

If you are worried about long term viability, you could put your MOCs on multiple sites and deeplink pictures from more than one site in your Eurobricks MOC presentation thread. If one site is down, readers can still see some pics of your MOC. I put the best pic on Flickr and the others on Brickshelf and deeplink from both, not the exact same pics, mind you.

The thing I don't like about moc pages is all of the pictures a small. On brick shelf most of the time when you click on a picture it get super big and you can acually see the details!