JaydenIrwin

[MOC] Rey's Speeder (Realistic Scale)

2056383-o_19sunvjs1ooo1gk49fi1vr1qe07-full.png

Happy Force Friday everyone!

Today LEGO will start selling their awesome lineup of Force Awakens toys, including Rey's Speeder. However, the model is huge, it's totally oversized! So here is my much smaller speeder, for anyone who wants a more realistic build to put next to other ships for example. It's not likely that LEGO will release another one of these for a long long time, but I could see this being included as an extra in another set.

LEGO Ideas Page

Please feel free to comment, and give me some feedback, and if you really like it, support it on LEGO Ideas!

This looks pretty good with the detail despite the size, however whilst the official one seems a tad too big I think you've gone too small. As you can see here it is actually pretty big.

At that angle it can look too small but imagine if that girl laid on the top of it, it would probably take 1.5 of her to reach end to end right? Now look at my model, it would take at least 1.5 minifigs to reach end to end right? If anything, I think this one is bigger than the movie's.

Using minifigs as gauge never ends up in the right proportions. Minifigs are chubby, so every model based on that is probably going to be chibi style. I would say the prow could be one stud higher and a little bit longer. Nice work so far.

I think you've got it pretty spot on in the size department, and in the details. I can see how the size can appear larger/smaller etc, but I think you make a good point about the 1.5 length of the figure to the length. Do you know if your version can be made using just the pieces from the set?

*edit*

While I agree with you Jacob that using minifigs to compare isn't the best way to specifically try and replicate ssomething, I think this specific vehicle is small enough that it can be 'gotten away with' for the most part. Looking at that pic, I also do agree with you that it could be 1 brick taller (in the SNOT sense). I just tried it in LDD, and it raises the height to look more in proportion when comparing with the picture of Rey sat on it and the guy stood next to it.

Edited by Fuppylodders

You're right the official one is too big at minifig's scale. You did a good job at reducing it, but as Fuppylodders asked, did you only use parts from the set ?

While the offical set is probably oversized this one in my opinion is a bit undersized, but I can see where you're coming from.

I still think it's wonderful and I could definitely see it as an official microfighter set, how many pieces did it take to build?

Edited by afolaus

Nice redesign!

I bought the set today, and came here for ideas on how to improve the build. For those asking - no, the set doesn't have those wedge plates, also missing the 1x2 brick with grille pattern and maybe some other parts.

Edited by Space Police XVIII

proportion.jpg

When it comes to "minifig scale", many people fail to understand the concept... And sorry to say it this way, but it seems you are among them. :/

I mean, add a LDD minifig on this image (on your 4 stud seat) and see how ridiculous the result would be...

Don't get me wrong. You did a nice little speeder. But it is just not minifig scale.

Minifig scale is a deeper concept than just a poor calculation based on the size of a minifig.

You've made a nice little speeder, but I disagree with the notion that the official set is "way too big".

The official set is actually pretty close when it comes to scale (especially in terms of minifig scale, it doesn't work the way you calculated it as said by Anio above),

(even though it might be somewhat oversized, especially when you place the minifigs next to it) because the real thing is pretty big - but yours is just too small.

Still, cool little speeder, but it's not minifig scale.

When it comes to "minifig scale", many people fail to understand the concept... And sorry to say it this way, but it seems you are among them. :/

I mean, add a LDD minifig on this image (on your 4 stud seat) and see how ridiculous the result would be...

Don't get me wrong. You did a nice little speeder. But it is just not minifig scale.

Minifig scale is a deeper concept than just a poor calculation based on the size of a minifig.

While I agree with most of what you say, I think the size is not as far from it as you are making it out to be.

Of course if you add a minifig sat on it, it will look a bit daft, but that is purely because a minifig cant straddle the seat like a real person can. Thi is where compromise comes into it. Jayden appears to have gone for more details rather than having a minifig perhaps stand in it which would allow it to 'sink into' the model better rather than be perched on top, but would then have to lose detail of where the minifig would be sat. It is never an easy thing to get right on such a small vehicle, and compromise will always rear its unwanted ugly head one way or another. I think he has done a good job regardless.

Minifig sizing issues on large vehicles can often be lost one way or another, or be minimised. Small vehicles such as this just exacerbate the issues of minifig sizing, which will always make it difficult to get things 'perfect' to some, and not to others.

I think your model went too far in the opposite direction.

Overall, I think the look is better when the scale is slightly too large. Going smaller gets too close to chibi range IMO.

Try putting a minifig torso on your seat. Maybe add a 1x2 plate for hips, maybe not because Rey crouches when she rides. The legs would be down next to the engine, as you say. That should give you a better scale to work from when comparing the two in profile. I think if you do that, you'll find that you've gone a little too small.

Edited by rollermonkey

Take a look at

which has people standing next to the speeder. It is raised off the ground but goes from just above their heads to about knee level. This would make the speeder 5 studs high if you were going purely off the height of a minifigure, which arguably isn't a good way to do it considering that the Rey's head is so huge with her mask on, so if anything it should be bigger than that. Edited by TheBear

Cool model, but I also think that the size of this model is too small to been minifigure scale and the engines are a little bit big.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

Hmmm. It really is hard to calculate the scale when dealing with minifigures. As others have said, minifigures are disproportionately fat, and they can't straddle the seat, so yours might be a tad small. I do agree that the official one is too large. I think if based solely on minifigure height, yours is quite close to the perfect scale.

Great build, I do feel like the official set is oversized and yours improves scale dramatically. The debate this has stirred is interestingly as well and I wonder how do you all go about building minifig scale if not primarily scaling based on minifigure height?

Cool model but I have to join the band wagon that says you can't base real scale off of a mini figure. They are way outta proportion and thusly change the proportion of anything to them. Good model though.