• Below Average
    • Poor

20477731574_37ca3fc7eb_b.jpg

Set name: Luke Skywalker

Set number: 75110

Pieces: 83

Price: $19.99 | £xx.xx | €xx.xx

Release date: 2015

Every wave always has that one figure who everyone immediately writes off as the worst, and Luke is undoubtedly taking that place this time around. From the first photos we saw, he's received a lot of negative feedback. Since he is being paired with Vader, they chose to dress him in his final duel outfit instead of a Rebel pilot suit which I personally feel would make the figure look better- but is he worth buying? Read on to find out.

Packaging and Contents

Box Front

21108072841_bea5c13aa9_b.jpg

Similar to Vader's box, Luke has the final duel between himself and Vader in the background, and is placed at the bottom of the set of stairs. Something worth noting is that all of these sets tell you that they are "buildable figures" which is a relief, I hate when you buy a Lego set and they are all glued together already.

Box Back

21111932666_e190fe6568_b.jpg

The back of the box showcases some highlights of the set, the other figures in the wave, and like the rest of the sets tells you how tall he is.

Contents

20477760154_3c9065b38f_b.jpg

Two bags of parts, instructions, an a loose torso and lightsaber blade.

New and Interesting parts

Recolors and bits

21074169406_0fe8955813_b.jpg

We have a flesh colored hand, a black 6m shell, the herocuff piece in silver, and I have no idea what the other bit is. I'm pretty sure it's been in system before, but I haven't seen it so it's interesting to me.

New Armor

20477757354_fec67f832e_b.jpg

We have the massive new torso armor, as well as the new shin armor in black.

Lightsaber

20479293953_05363646b3_b.jpg

We have the new lightsaber blade which is a rubbery plastic, and also the new hilt piece which is a modified version of a double axle connector.

Head

20912277400_cac6443734_b.jpg

The problem with taking human characters and turning them into plastic action figures is you have to decide how realistic you are going to try to make them look. While a manufacturer like Hot Toys can perfect the faces, most have to make sacrifices. Now Obi-Wan's face looks great because it resembles his animated Clone Wars face. Luke on the other hand, looks a bit strange. It's not bad, but I'll highlight why I'm not a big fan of it (or rather this outfit of the character in general) soon.

Building Process

Calf Armor

21100348205_b6feffbefb_b.jpg

Among the smallest of the figures (Luke, Jango, Cody) Luke is the only one to receive calf armor which is a very awesome way to boost the look of the set.

Legs and torso

20913562469_0c98e4c5ce_b.jpg

Of course in order to have the calf armor, his leg build is rather tall. Also note the hip attachments which will allow us to stow weapons.

Armoring

20913561059_f9f1002847_b.jpg

We begin to add on his armor- there are a lot of black parts involved with this build.

Arms

21100344385_850ed1891f_b.jpg

Now when the arms are added on, we can start to see the one reason why look looks odd- he's basically entirely black parts, with the only exception being his hand and face. As a result those parts stick out a lot, and the face- which many aren't a big fan of- sticks out even more.

Accessories

20912461098_a88f54690b_b.jpg

Luke actually has a lot of accessories. In addition to his main lightsaber there is a spare hilt, handcuffs, and a blaster pistol.

Finished Build

Front View

21100340575_e03831a107_b.jpg

Proportion wise there isn't much to complain about, my only issue with this view is that the area around the hips looks somewhat dodgy.

Profile View

21100339195_6b623ed707_b.jpg

Once again the calf armor really helps to fill out Luke's build.

Back View

21100338085_6c764c43f9_b.jpg

He also has upper shoulder armor near his neck. Note the extra red pin which allows you to mix the lightsaber parts up in his hands for various poses.

The Force is strong in my family

20912258650_bcc1f22926_b.jpg

The pistol can be stowed away on his hip which a fantastic feature that I hope we see carry through to the next wave of Star Wars figures and even into Bionicle.

I have a very bad feeling about this

21108044681_e5e0f73494_b.jpg

It seems like a silly pose, but it actually goes to show that the proportions on these figures are quite good.

You won't convert me as you did my father

20912255730_d1ed811168_b.jpg

I really love the custom built guns that Luke, Jango and Cody have. We likely won't see them in Bionicle in any way, but I hope we get even more in future Star Wars waves- they are great.

Size Comparison

21129655772_89f85ccb6c_b.jpg

Like all of the other Star Wars figures, Luke is quite tall, even having height over our control group, Mr. Tahu.

Overall

Is Luke a bad figure? No. In fact, he's very solidly built, a good size, and comes with the most accessories of the wave. His face will take some getting used to, but I don't think it looks as bad in person as initial photos made it seem. Granted, if you aren't a big fan of the character, this might be a tough sell at $20, especially considering many of the other figures in the wave are a bit more interesting than him. However I wouldn't immediately count him out. That said, his color scheme isn't nearly as interesting as a rebel pilot would have been, and he's not a terrible interesting figure to look at.

The review of one of the more split opinion sets of the wave is now ready.

Nice review. I personally quite like Luke's head piece. It's simplified enough that it doesn't look nearly as creepy as the Galidor and Belville heads did. I would love to have this head (and some of those Light Nougat hands) for MOCs, since the head is generic enough to be useful for human characters outside of Star Wars. But on the other hand (no pun intended), this set doesn't offer much else in terms of interesting recolors (at least, not ones that can't be gotten from other sets like Vader), so it's not high on my wanted list. Obi-Wan and Jango seem a lot more appealing to me at the moment.

Oh, the silver metallic bit from his blaster is an ice cream cone piece originally introduced in Brick Yellow/Tan in the LEGO Friends theme.

Edited by Aanchir

If you think that Luke's going to be a tough sell at $20 in the US, where it's the same price as Jango and Cody, imagine how much tougher a sell he's going to be in the UK, where Luke defies convention and is 25% more expensive than Cody and Jango, and the same price as Obi-Wan (£19.99). For no readily apparent reason either.

That said, I think price is the only thing going against Luke. Despite the outrageous RRP price hike, I still bought him, and he's a good figure. Good size, good proportions and not a bad selection of parts either (especially if you use a lot of black like I do). I am hoping the silver handcuff links reappear in another set that offers them in a greater quantity, since I know I'll be wanting 20+ of that colour link, and there's no way I'm buying 10 Lukes. In fact, I'd be reluctant to buy a second one for parts, especially when Darth Vader offers most of them and more for just £5 more in the UK.

Great review though, and nice to see that I'm not the only one who thinks Luke isn't necessarily a bad set :classic:

Edited by TheOneVeyronian

I'm surprised Aanchir forgot to mention that the 6 black shell isn't a recolour. :tongue:

My main problem with Luke isn't his head, but his simplicity : beside the calves and the gun, the build is rather standard (no fancy backpack or skirt like Jango, Cody or Obi-Wan), and the colour scheme is far from being the most exciting, which makes the set rather bland. :sceptic:

I'm surprised Aanchir forgot to mention that the 6 black shell isn't a recolour. :tongue:

Well it was recolors and bits as the title for the photo, I highlight things that are interesting too not just recolors :wink:

(Although that's mostly because half the time I have no idea what's new and what's not for recolors or system bits)

Good review. This set is one of my favorite in the Star Wars Ultrabuild set this year because although the build is very simple when compared to the others like Cody, Grievous, and Darth Vader, but the simple build makes this set look good and make the set has a clean look without any unwanted add-on.

Wait, is that Hero-Cuff from Hero Factory are recoloured? The cuff didn't look as good when they painted in Titanium Metalic, but it always a nice addition to have a parts that available in more colors.

It seems like this is the standard "Pohatu" set of this wave. I'm quite torn on the head piece - I think if there was a Clone Wars - style animated series featuring Luke, the headpiece would be great. Now, however, it just looks a bit silly.

Luke's definitely the weakest model of the wave, largely due to his colour scheme - or rather, lack of one. He's still reasonably built though, and his custom gun is cool... But all in all he's rather boring.

One thing which also irritates me is how flat the areas to the sides of his neck are, due to the shells placed there. If he had 3M shells, placed in a similar fashion as on Jango Fett or Commander Cody, he'd look a lot better there.

Edited by LewiMOC

I really don't reckon much to these figures, cant they do some Galidor type limbs torso's for the human figures, Bionicle / HF is fine on general grevious etc and for the armour on the troopers but on a human it just looks poor,

Edited by spzero

I really dont reckon much to these figures cant they do some Galidor type limbs for the human figures its fine on general grevious etc and for the armour on the troopers but on a human it just looks poor,

Besides Galidor-style click hinges being extremely awkward and limiting articulation (and the joints rarely looking much better than these sets from many angles anyway), part of the point of this building system is that it is a unified system of shells and beams and not a disparate selection of prefabricated limb pieces. Getting more realism than this would probably require much more specialized parts that lack that trademark LEGO versatility.

Besides Galidor-style click hinges being extremely awkward and limiting articulation (and the joints rarely looking much better than these sets from many angles anyway), part of the point of this building system is that it is a unified system of shells and beams and not a disparate selection of prefabricated limb pieces. Getting more realism than this would probably require much more specialized parts that lack that trademark LEGO versatility.

Dunno, I don't think we really need new bones, the problem is with the shells. They could just come up with an arm variant of the the new leg shell. Yes it would lack add-don connection points but so do the new leg shell and bone bones.

...and I just want this so Bionicle sets as well can have more organic shapes.

I think for the human like characters,that anyone from the prequels should be based on their clone wars appearance like obi wan is,the only important character missing if done that way would be qui gon.

As for original trilogy and the new movies,I guess they have to look like this.I don't think there's anything particularly bad about the way luke looks but obi wan definitely looks much better