Sign in to follow this  
IronFish

CSX EMD 70

This is a CSX EMD 70 train that I designed one day. I chose the CSX one mostly because I liked the coloring. There are several other MOCs of this train around the internet, but they mostly use 9V, and I wanted to do one that ran on Power Functions.

20551914713_b24663aec0.jpg

20984918070_fb174b00c4.jpg

I did the mid-back section in a way similar to the Maersk train, so as to keep it thinner than the 6 stud front section.

21172118325_b376a7ab2d.jpg

20983996030_f530992e47.jpg

20549451144_08c62f7e7b.jpg

The front section is made using SNOT

21145888666_69b3a20096.jpg

20984016290_c452158e5d.jpg

I made a section of the top easily removable, so I can access the battery box

21172148155_dbb618df0b.jpg

20984231508_e1b66f756a.jpg

20549485534_d44082bc5d.jpg

I used SNOT several times throughout the train to get the shape right

21172179935_7eb4eb1dd7.jpg

A minifig can easily stand on the side of the train.

20551051523_18bc9ae4ff.jpg

The one thing I need, is a decal I can stick on the side to give the train the CSX lettering, so if anybody could recommend something, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for looking at my MOC!

Edited by IronFish
Please resize the images <= 1024 width first.

That looks really good. Did you design it from the ground up, or did you borrow from something?

Do you have any plans to make siblings?

Edited by LoneBrickerSG

That looks really good. Did you design it from the ground up, or did you borrow from something?

Thanks! I guess you could say it's a heavily modified 10219, because I started with that as a base, but I ended up with a whole new front section, and a whole new roof section, so it's more my design than anything else I guess. Edited by IronFish

Very nice indeed. I love the cab window. Very neat technique. Do you have plans to add some of Zephyr's CSX stickers?

Rob

That depends on what the dimensions are. Would they fit in a 4x6 area? That's about all the space I have.

Love the dark blue. I did a dark blue csx myself, they do look sharp.

Thanks! The dark blue was a little more pricey, but it was worth it in the end. Edited by IronFish

Hi Ironfish,

Great MOC!!

But your images are too large. EB's maximum is 1024 wide. Can you resize your images before embedding?

Hi Ironfish,

Great MOC!!

But your images are too large. EB's maximum is 1024 wide. Can you resize your images before embedding?

I've tried resizing them, but that never does anything, the pictures still end up being huge. I may just not be doing it right.

This is something I could see Lego selling. Its the right size for Lego and in 6 wide. Plus it comes standard with coffee mug like most Lego heavy machinery lol. Very nice engine!

I like it, looks good and it has the feel of an official set.

Thanks! The only thing, is I wish I could fix the plainness of the front area...

I've tried resizing them, but that never does anything, the pictures still end up being huge. I may just not be doing it right.

So the resizing probably failed. My advice is to use an image hosting site like Flickr or BrickSafe. They both allow you to upload in hi resolution and like to a scaled down version. Flickr is widely but you need some time to figure out how to link smaller versions. BrickSafe is very easy to use.

So the resizing probably failed. My advice is to use an image hosting site like Flickr or BrickSafe. They both allow you to upload in hi resolution and like to a scaled down version. Flickr is widely but you need some time to figure out how to link smaller versions. BrickSafe is very easy to use.

I'll have to try that next time, thanks!

I'll have to try that next time, thanks!

Great!

Since these images are too big, I recommend trying it right away :wink:

Very nice indeed. I love the cab window. Very neat technique. Do you have plans to add some of Zephyr's CSX stickers?

Rob

That depends on what the dimensions are. Would they fit in a 4x6 area? That's about all the space I have.Thanks! The dark blue was a little more pricey, but it was worth it in the end.

Doh! I missed that discussion my first time through. I think the large "CSX" in my decals are about 10 studs wide (I can get exact dimensions if needed). I designed them for a Maersk repaint, but they should also work for a similarly sized MOC. The nose artwork is designed for flatter builds (e.g., the Masersk nose) while yours looks like it has a one plate high jump. So it probably would not work in this case.

Doh! I missed that discussion my first time through. I think the large "CSX" in my decals are about 10 studs wide (I can get exact dimensions if needed). I designed them for a Maersk repaint, but they should also work for a similarly sized MOC. The nose artwork is designed for flatter builds (e.g., the Masersk nose) while yours looks like it has a one plate high jump. So it probably would not work in this case.

thank you, but I don't think I have enough room for it, because there aren't any bigger flat tiles in dark blue.

Nice work, I really like the color combo!

Thanks! I like it too!

Do you have any plans to make siblings?

Sorry, I never caught that last bit. As of right now no. With the way the train is designed makes it hard to do stripes, chevrons, and other details of the other main train companies, without decals, and that's one of the reasons why I picked a CSX train was the simple coloring. Edited by IronFish

The thing about decals is that all you need is a color printer; MS Word, gimp, photoshop etc. ; google images/other image site; and some sticker/ decal paper for the printer. Just find a picture of the logo online, put it into MS word etc. and make it the size you want, then print it onto the sticker/ decal paper. That is how I did these: 11259818983_ed1daab760_c.jpg

The trick is to make the colors match with the LEGO ones which is where Gimp or photoshop would be better.

Edited by engineermax

The trick is to make the colors match with the LEGO ones which is where Gimp or photoshop would be better.

For some designs (typically black lettering is best) you could even use clear sticker paper to avoid having to match colors. When you start doing logos with lighter colors it doesn't work as well, the brick color fades through more.

Very nice colors indeed! I love the design of the cabin. Well done!

Thank you!

I'll have to do a bit of my own research on doing a decal for the train, but thanks for the tips!