• Below Average
    • Poor

21105619661_f371d942f4_b.jpg

Set name: Clone Commander Cody

Set number: 75108

Pieces: 82

Price: $19.99 | £xx.xx | €xx.xx

Release date: 2015

When photos of these sets were first released, Commander Cody was one of the figures i was looking forward to most. Maybe it's due to my love of clones, or orange and white being one of my favorite color schemes. Is he worth spending a hefty $20 on? Read on to find out.

Packaging and Contents

Box Front

20909874430_8ac868bbd7_b.jpg

While i wasn't a huge fan of the Prequel Trilogy, I did love the Clone Wars and everything associated with them, so Cody with AT-TEs and Gunships behind him is a lovely scene to see, but it doesn't make much sense. Like I said in my review of Grievous, each character is paired with another- Grievous and Obi Wan are paired on their box, Luke and Vader are paired, and then Cody and Jango are paired on the back. But why would a Phase II armor clone trooper be a pair to Jango, who was only alive during Phase I of the clone troopers? Wouldn't Phase II Cody be hunting Grievous while Jango is evading Obi Wan? Back to what I said about the box making no sense, this is quite clearly the battle of Geonosis from Episode II, whereas Phase II Cody was scene primarily during Episode III on Utapau. Maybe i'm over thinking it, but my job is to observe.

Box Back

21097957255_4d86c9a179_b.jpg

The back of the box displays some highlights of the set, the other sets in the wave, as well as a scale describing how tall Cody is.

Contents

21097954705_0e7cf27b2e_b.jpg

The contents include an instruction book, two bags of parts and a large torso beam. Something many may find enticing about these sets is no stickers.

New and Interesting parts

New bits

21146120571_4ffd20ec20_b.jpg

Some interesting new parts include the new shoulder armor in orange, the large torso armor in white with some lovely printing, and the new shin armor in white.

More bits

21111922986_e541e363b2_b.jpg

Again I'm not sure if these Technic pieces are new or in a new color or what, but they are interesting to me so I've included them. We also get 6m armor in white- 6m armor is already quite rare to come across so It's nice to be getting more of it this time around. We also get one of them with a print.

Headsculpt

20518643994_a8a1f944ff_b.jpg

I prefer Phase I clone helmets to Phase II ones, but Cody's is quite nice, especially with the bright orange colors to liven it up.

Building Process

Backpack

21105646701_b75ce2f919_b.jpg

Similar to Jango, part of Cody's budget was put into his backpack instead of rear shin armor like Luke or Obi Wan.

Backpack mounted

20909863910_913fea5901_b.jpg

The backpack is okay, but I'm not sure it does what it's supposed to do as well as Jango's jetpack does.

Arms

20909849940_54f48c0312_b.jpg

It's interesting to note that Lego is starting to use this arm build for elbows instead of how the knees were build, which I am happy to see because it does add to the range of motion to the arms and makes posing with weapons far easier.

Gun

20475332734_d5e68e2c82_b.jpg

Cody also has a fairly intricate rifle, which ends up looking quite good when done and fits perfectly well in his hands.

Finished Build

Front View

20911140809_99d46d0be5_b.jpg

From a front view, Cody looks great. His armoring and color scheme is solid, as is his proportions.

Profile View

21105627261_0ec2d6443a_b.jpg

Unfortunately, Cody lacks calf armor. it is easy enough to add on later if you choose since the beat fins exist in white in the Obi-Wan set, but it's a shame not to get them in an already pricey figure with very little in the way of accessories. The backpack does have a gap, but when the arms are to his side like this it's not noticeable.

Back View

20909841260_5931fb0806_b.jpg

His legs are quite poorly armored from the back- he doesn't even have thigh add-on pieces like Jango to help.

This is personal for us Clones

20476857033_819c22df25_b.jpg

He holds the rifle well in both hands and it's easy enough to pose with, something that all of these figures share.

I have a bad feeling about this

21071736696_5b576d7c47_b.jpg

Well he...yeah he's doing that pose.

"Execute Order 66"

20909840120_21bf575581_b.jpg

You know what would be great? TO have one of those Microfigures or the small minifigure trophies recolored in trans light blue to act like a hologram. Lego, make it happen.

Size Comparison

21071742846_24bcb9f3a2_b.jpg

Like the other smaller figures, he is still taller than our control group, Tahu.

Overall

It's tough to recommend Cody. On one hand, I love the character, the color scheme, and clones in general. On the other hand, there really isn't a lot to this figure- he has basic armoring, a backpack which really doesn't add a whole lot to the figure, and a rifle as his sole accessories that can't even be stowed anywhere on his backpack (which would have added to it's utility.) As far as ratings go, I would place him with Luke among my least favorites of the wave, but just silghtly higher than Luke only because I like the character and colors. In terms of build and accessories, he does actually fall behind Luke slightly. Similar to jango where I would prefer a Boba, I think I would have preferred Rex over Cody- he's more visually interesting of a character.

I do believe that a Hologram Palpatine appeared in some Imperial Star Destroyer sometime recently actually.

Thanks for all the reviews. I also like the sets but feel there's something a little bit lacking for the prices.

Good review, but Cody is my least favorite of the Star Wars Ultrabuild set this year. I think the rifle thingy is the worst thing in this set. The way the rifle built is not bad, but the rifle looks too flimsy and tiny when compared to most of the blasters in the reality and the film.

The box art is also quite strange, because in the box art, Commander Cody stand nicely, but the clone troopers at his back are wearing their Phase I armor, and Cody are wearing his Phase II armor.

I do believe that a Hologram Palpatine appeared in some Imperial Star Destroyer sometime recently actually.

Oh hey, you're right! Looks like I'll be making a bricklink order soon :moar:

Good review, but Cody is my least favorite of the Star Wars Ultrabuild set this year. I think the rifle thingy is the worst thing in this set. The way the rifle built is not bad, but the rifle looks too flimsy and tiny when compared to most of the blasters in the reality and the film.

I mean it's solidly built, but I dislike some of the choice of parts here- I think some system incorporation would have really fleshed it out more.

This is probably my favorite set of the wave, and probably the only one I will pick up, because the others ones are so expensive. :sceptic: I hope he gets recolored for other clones in the future :moar:

Edited by mediumsnowman

I don't think it's possible to add those fins at the back of his lower legs. The bone used here is shorter than the one used with Vader, Kenobi and Luke. At least it cannor be attached in the same manner.

Yeah you'l have to use the longer lower leg bone, same with Jango.

There is a way to attach a Kaiju fin to a 7M leg bone if you don't mind using a slightly unstable attachment method and also don't mind the Kaiju fin the wrong way up. Just use a rubber Technic connector. It's a little bit of an illegal method, sure, but I've used this connection type in quite a few MOC's of mine, such as my Golden Furious and it works well.

Alternatively, if you want to armour up Cody's and Jango's back legs, why not employ the method that the upcoming FO Stormie uses? This method? I plan on doing this with Cody and Jango to bulk up the back of their legs a bit as soon as I can be bothered to make a Bricklink order :wink:

Edited by TheOneVeyronian

Thanks for the advice, but durability and stability are the top priorities for me with LEGO. :wink:

That other method looks good, but I don't have that System part in silver or white, only in black. :sceptic:

Edited by zero1312

Cody's not nearly as interesting as Jango Fett or Obi Wan, but still looks pretty good. The gun is cool, although it does give me flashbacks of ye olde days of BioTube... [shudders] :P

Greetings from Technic Forum:

7eSeulA.jpg

ZtT3d9d.jpg

And thank you VBBN for great review :thumbup: I bought this awesome figure after reading this review :classic:

(snip'd)

And thank you VBBN for great review :thumbup: I bought this awesome figure after reading this review :classic:

It's awesome to see someone try out CCBS thanks to these figures. He looks pretty dang good on the motorcycle, which makes me think there could be a Technic set in the future consisting of a bike with a CCBS rider.

Just got the set today. Its head is really loose, I'm guessing it's a problem with my particular piece but I still wanted to ask, does anyone else have a really floppy Cody head?

7eSeulA.jpg

ZtT3d9d.jpg

Wow, nice, this guy fits in perfectly :)