8BrickMario

What could be in a Mythology series of CMFs?

Yes, LEGO "caved" to the Muslim group by discontinuing the set.

Actually, the set was discontinued right on schedule, but LEGO acted like it was earlier than intended to pacify them.

I agree. I've heard there are Neopagan practitioners of the Norse religion surrounding Odin and friends in areas of Scandinavia, as well as practitioners of Germanic Heathenry. And while all religions are mythology to me, I still respect their traditions and would love to collect versions of their gods and other characters as minifigures.

Which would, no doubt, be incredibly offensive to them. Don't get me wrong! A Ganesh or Shiva, or Buddha, whatever - I think those would be cool, also. I would build a suitable display for them and I think it would be really neat. However, 90% of the figures are going to be played with by little kids. Picture Shiva in a shootout with the CMF gangster or something. That would be offensive. Likenesses are not the problem (if you're not Muslim, anyway); but statues of Ganesh, Shiva, Buddha, Kali, etc., are all done in reverence... they aren't play things. I am aware there are dolls of all of these figures, but I don't think they're in quite the same vein as LEGO....

Which would, no doubt, be incredibly offensive to them. Don't get me wrong! A Ganesh or Shiva, or Buddha, whatever - I think those would be cool, also. I would build a suitable display for them and I think it would be really neat. However, 90% of the figures are going to be played with by little kids. Picture Shiva in a shootout with the CMF gangster or something. That would be offensive. Likenesses are not the problem (if you're not Muslim, anyway); but statues of Ganesh, Shiva, Buddha, Kali, etc., are all done in reverence... they aren't play things. I am aware there are dolls of all of these figures, but I don't think they're in quite the same vein as LEGO....

In my original post on the matter, I said "Most mythology is religious in nature, so they should be somewhat differentiated from their religions," and I stick to that. These should always be inspired, not direct, like the Ocean King or the Battle Goddess. I think an Elephant Lord could be done in a similarly inspired way. There's already a great head mold in Chima. I just like the idea of other cultures having representation.

I do understand the concern though, and thank you for raising it as it's an interesting and important discussion, but I think that same concern could have been applied to the previously mentioned minifigures. I will, however, try to stick to 'folklore' in future suggestions so to avoid any problems or offense.

And while I'm trying to find good examples of non-European characters, I'd love to see Beowulf and Grendel inspired minifigures.

Edited by x105Black

After Nekchirgate, I'm still left hesitant to believe.But I hope it's true that any of these proposed figs will be happening. If the next themed series isn't mythology, it's probably Fairy Tales, which would be a better place for characters like Baba Yaga.

Some of these will happen sooner than everybody expects

Well thats exciting... can't wait to find out which ones!

:classic:

What I can say is: TLG uses to rehash parts of previoust minifigures series in different colors to do new minifigures.

A little bird told me that a part between series 13 and 14 may be good for a minifigure that will show up in series 15, January 2016.

I can't tell what I know because I've promised, but I like to leave hints so your fantasy may travel and find nice solutions.

After all, you only have to wait 3 months.

Think about it. Which part is that and what minifigure can show up?

I really can't say more. :wink:

Itaria has proven himself as a reliable source in prior years especially with CMF series.

Thanks Blakstone.

Actually I am not into jokes. If I am wrong about this one then one of my best sources isn't reliable.

It always have been, so there's no reason to doubt this time.

Plus, what this source told me was something I already thought by myself when seeing THAT part.

After Nekchirgate, I'm still left hesitant to believe.But I hope it's true that any of these proposed figs will be happening. If the next themed series isn't mythology, it's probably Fairy Tales, which would be a better place for characters like Baba Yaga.

No, Series 15 is a regular series and will be not themed.

But one character should be from somewhat mythology.

Totally calling a satyr. The gargoyle forehead isn't a perfect match, but the horns and ears are. I look forward to seeing it if I'm right.

Edited by 8BrickMario

OK, then, game on...

I want to think it's not a part from 14, because that would be too soon and I think people would complain. OK, AFOLs would complain, kids wouldn't care, but in trying to find something unique that could be reused, that limits it to things like accessories, possibly head pieces, and, in this case, the "stands" for the specter and banshee. But I'm not seeing anything that really works in S13.

In S13, there's not a whole lot there that seems to apply to mythology/folklore. Maybe:

18824pb01.jpgbb626pb01.jpg18959pb01.jpg30174pb01.jpg

In S14:

19859pb03.jpg20607pb01.jpg20608.jpg98374pb02.jpg

So, I stuck to things that were fairly unique. I skipped things that didn't seem to apply to mythology or folklore (like tiger lady's head piece or the monster's guitar). I don't really see anything about S13 that screams "mythological," so I'm going to throw out two things that struck me.

1. What 8BrickMario said.

2. Headless horseman.

Since 2 is folklore (and not even really), I think 1 is a lot more likely.

Edited by fred67

Fred, I would drop the samurai armor and the trick or treat pail as those are just new prints, not now pieces. A satyr or a faun with the gargoyle head piece does make the most sense.

In a bid to be different, my guess for Series 15 is a harpy using the new wings.

I figured, in some cases, a new print might be relevant. I don't think it's either one of those, though.

Well it could certainly be the Satyr using the Gargoyles horns, as mentioned above. That would be great, and I'll agree it sounds like the most likely.

A Harpy using the wings of the Gargoyle is a definite possibility. I'd prefer to see them used for some sort of Draconic figure, either a Dragon Suit Guy type, a Demonic type, or something like the Draconians from Dragonlance.

19094.jpg

It may be the Goblin's headgear though, which I believe has only been used on that minifigure and the Green Goblin from the Juniors line. I could see that being great for another Elf type, or maybe some sort of Pixie. It would be very fitting for a character inspired by Link from the Legend of Zelda, for instance .

It could be the Wacky Witch's hat with hair, but I really doubt that. It could also be the King's crown. Again, I doubt it with the way the rumor sounds, but it's a possibility.

I'm sticking with the prevailing theory of Satyr for now, though.

Wacky Witch's hair is probably being reused for DC's Scarecrow. The Goblin's hat is possible, but unlikely to create a unique figure.

Perhaps a Cthulhu figure with the Alien Trooper head? Or is that a stretch?

Perhaps a Cthulhu figure with the Alien Trooper head? Or is that a stretch?

Someone had posted a custom Cthulhu Dimensions idea using that head and the Gargoyle's wings in green. I think that would make an awesome mythological figure!

EDIT: It was Ragnar.

Edited by x105Black

I'd prefer to see them used for some sort of Draconic figure, either a Dragon Suit Guy type, a Demonic type, or something like the Draconians from Dragonlance.

Just in case you didn't know and might care, Brick Warriors has some neat things you could use to make those kinds of figures.

The demon4-demon.jpg?t=1434212674 accessories with the lizard 4-lizardman.jpg?t=1434212690accessories

could create a pretty cool dragon warrior (they sell that lizard head, too).

For the record, they have harpies, too, and Brick Forge has a lot of cool accessories, including centaur bodies.

I know we're talking about "official" LEGO and CMFs, but I just figured if people are interested (and believe we'll probably never get these things from TLG), then these are good options.

I've visited that site, and others like it, many times. I've filled my cart several times, but never ended up bringing it to checkout because of my purist ways. They make such great stuff, though. I'd really love to see some of their ideas made officially by TLG.

I might just have to bite the bullet one day and pick up some of their items.

Anyways, back on topic: If it is a Satyr / Fawn, how do you think the legs would be done? Peg legs? Probably just a print.

Edited by x105Black

New leg piece? Only way it would really work and look right... they might try to fake it with regular legs with a print on it, but that would look terrible.

I would hope they'd be peg legs, but I won't expect it. Printed legs with hooves on the toes seem more likely, if only to provide a sitting stud connection. For his torso, I expect him to be bare-chested, and either wearing the Pan pipes on a necklace or holding them as a new piece. His face could be interesting.

Bare with chest hair, I would imagine. And yeah, there should absolutely be a new Pan pipe piece!

Returning to the original topic, I'd love to see a Selkie. Like a Mermaid, with a new tail piece. I think that could be very cool mythological figure.

That's the S12 Spooky Girl.

She metamphors into Anansi in the Minifigure Online Game!

I read this the day you wrote it, but only looked up Anansi today - I don't get it. I'm not sexist, but if the mythological figure appears as a man, it seems "spooky girl" is an fairly odd twist.

So the game doesn't specifically mention "Anansi," she just turns into a giant spider? That makes more sense (in as much as something like morphing into a giant spider can make sense).