On 12/1/2016 at 4:57 PM, Xon67 said:

The Octan tower is shown in several scales in the movie.  This is the micro scale used when we first see the tower and travel up its entire height from bottom to top.

LOL  This is what I came here looking for!  Do you have any shots of the minfig scale Octan Building?  I really want to build one for my display this year.

Are you sure about the trans green windows?

@GentlemanJoker & @koalayummies

Thanks for your kind comments!

@kibosh

The only reference I have for the Octan HQ is the movie itself.  I haven't been able to find any other references.  Even the version in Finn's basement and the LEGO Experience appears to be a different model/scale from those in Emmet's "universe"--sort of midway between micro and minifig scale.  For the minifig scale, you'll want to look at the scenes where Lord Business threatens to throw Bad Cop out the window and where Emmet jumps out the window with the battery strapped to him.  I've been trying to decide if I wanted to create a model in minifig scale or not.  Even at micro scale the tower is ridiculously tall.  At minifig scale it would be absolutely huge.  I think I'd only be able to do a portion of it.  Let me know what you think.

Update:  Just reviewed a scene and did some quick calculations.  At full minifig scale, the tower would be 392 studs wide at the base and 158 studs wide at the very top.

Trans green?  Most definitely.  Try doing some freeze frames of the movie in the shot right after WyldStyle and Emmet get into the western town--right after Emmet says, "Okay, how scary can a guy's office be."  Very trans, very green.

Thanks for posting!

Edited by Xon67

Xon67, that Emmet snow sculpture is brilliant.
Lovely details, there's even snow on the benches, window sills and balconies!

No idea how one would attach the nose carrots to the minifig heads in a real build, though :laugh:

Keep up the good work, by all means.

On 12/17/2016 at 10:48 PM, Xon67 said:

@GentlemanJoker & @koalayummies

Thanks for your kind comments!

@kibosh

The only reference I have for the Octan HQ is the movie itself.  I haven't been able to find any other references.  Even the version in Finn's basement and the LEGO Experience appears to be a different model/scale from those in Emmet's "universe"--sort of midway between micro and minifig scale.  For the minifig scale, you'll want to look at the scenes where Lord Business threatens to throw Bad Cop out the window and where Emmet jumps out the window with the battery strapped to him.  I've been trying to decide if I wanted to create a model in minifig scale or not.  Even at micro scale the tower is ridiculously tall.  At minifig scale it would be absolutely huge.  I think I'd only be able to do a portion of it.  Let me know what you think.

Update:  Just reviewed a scene and did some quick calculations.  At full minifig scale, the tower would be 392 studs wide at the base and 158 studs wide at the very top.

Trans green?  Most definitely.  Try doing some freeze frames of the movie in the shot right after WyldStyle and Emmet get into the western town--right after Emmet says, "Okay, how scary can a guy's office be."  Very trans, very green.

Thanks for posting!

Thanks.  I'll take a look at those scenes.  I don't want to do anything remotely to movie scale for minifigs.  I want to build an accurately styled Octan Tower that might be 4-5 feet tall.  I just want something for our LUG displays that will be recognizable and accurate to the spirit of the movie.

Oh, if that's what you're doing, then you DO want something more along the lines of the micro scale I did or like what's in Finn's basement.  The movie scenes I pointed out will be WAY too large.

I know of some YouTube  videos that show the tower from Finn's basement.  Let me look up those links for you.

@kibosh

Here's a few things for you:

This video gives the best view of the tower in Finn's basement that I've found.  It's somewhere between micro scale (shown in my previous pics) and minifig scale (shown below).  You'll see the tower around 7:20:

I also couldn't help creating a section of the "full" minifig scale tower (the 392 stud wide version) after bringing it up with you.  This is the biggest portion that I could show, because LDD kept crashing on me when I tried to make it any larger.  This build is based off of what we see when Lord Business threatens to throw Bad Cop through the window.  That's the relic room inside.  (I'll post that interior next?)

31648645291_7f7c9c5e87_c.jpg

If you build anything, it would be great to see it!

@Withacee

Thanks!  I always appreciate hearing when someone likes what I'm doing here.

I had fun dusting everything with snow--including the park, which, for anyone who's played the LEGO Movie video game may recognize, is from the Bricksburg level.

And then there are the special anti-gravity carrots that I used...

Merry Christmas!  :-)

Edited by Xon67

@kibosh

I had to finish out the set--Here's the tower from Finn's basement.  This one's 42 studs square at the base.  Is this more the scale you're looking for?

31880988885_2494620a09_c.jpg

Up next:  Those Octan interiors I've been promising...

It's time to show some interiors of the Octan tower.  Here's the relic room that was viewed through the window on the minifig scale exterior.

Sorry, relics not included.  Lord Business had them all sent out for cleaning...

31219333383_f2228fa694_c.jpg

@Actor Builder. Well, it's been more than a year since we talked about it, but I finally got around to creating Metalbeard's copy machine disguise.

...and a corridor to go around it...

31365711204_ee8141ec07_c.jpg

Next:  The many moods of Metalbeard.

2 hours ago, Xon67 said:

@Actor Builder. Well, it's been more than a year since we talked about it, but I finally got around to creating Metalbeard's copy machine disguise.

...and a corridor to go around it...

Next:  The many moods of Metalbeard.

Oh, that was a fun scene! :laugh: Great job recreating the corridor! :classic::thumbup:

Its amazing how accurate this stuff is from just the few fleeting glimpses much of it was shown. That video from Legoland is great too, really want to see that in person. And now every time I click in this thread I want to re-watch the movie. What a bunch of hippy dippy baloney. Robots! Bring the sword of exact zero. No way, this is my jam. This is also my jam. You didn't let me finish earlier, because I died. Those guys were so lame, all they did was play space checkers. Plus it turns out the hairy one's a dude, and the metal one too, all dudes. 

@Xon67 Wonderful work on the various rooms of the Octan tower, they're certainly coming together well.

Sorry I've been so inactive in this topic as of late. I've been quite busy lately with life and work (including some freelance 3D work for TLG's licensing department related to The LEGO Batman Movie!)

While I'm not sure if you'd still be interested, I should have some free time over the next week or two when I could do renders of Bricksburg I mentioned a time ago, now that most every building has been built or corrected!

Edited by ProfessorBrickkeeper

@Exetrius @Actor Builder  Thanks for your kind comments!  They are always appreciated.

@koalayummies    Thanks!  I sometimes surprise myself at what I'm able to glean from a few dozen frames.  Of course, I have no way to validate that I get things right, but I get as close as I can.  The movie is extremely quotable, isn't it?  "But won’t they notice their hyperdrive is missing?"  "Come on, Chewie. Hit the hyperdrive!"  "AAAAgh!"  "Nah, they’ll be fine."

@ProfessorBrickkeeper  I'll be in touch!

This is another build that was originally discussed over a year ago with Actor Builder that I finally got around to.  These are all of the variations of MetalBeard, including his copy machine disguise from last week's post.

31559347193_acc2333c52_c.jpg

@Xon67 Really love the Octan Tower interiors.... They are something that I've been pondering for quite some time, of course not to the scale you have been able to do them though. 
However already did a mini scene with Metalbeard the copier, Speaker Delivery and I'm currently working on putting a bunch of elements together to make a much better "Lord Business Evil Lair" on a 48x48 base.
I have tried to include as much as I could from scenes in the tower to feature on the set as I could and also hoping to get a few custom decals to add to it as well.. Will share a pic hopefully in the next few weeks when I've started the build and made a decent amount of progress..
Also thanks heaps for your help on the Instruction Holder, I'm still hoping to build it at some stage as I've collected a heap of parts for it, however put it on the backburners for the moment whilst I do this Lord Business build and also have most of the parts needed for a Copper Chopper...

Just discovered your Swat/Cannon van on your Flickr page and was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing a back and underneath view as I'd love to do a real world build of this as well?? Is it based on an actual Lego van like other Lego Movie vehicles to your knowledge?
Lastly really love the multiple Metalbeard designs, I have played around in LDD to put together the "Down on the Farm" Metalbeard from  duel set, all I can't figure out at the moment is the parts behind the eyes and how the eyes attach and how his pirate hat attaches to the "metalbeard"? I understand the pupils and ears aren't actually attached in your render, but I'm sure I can find a way to get them to stick

Definately keeping me inspired looking through your renders!!

Edited by NDLG80

@NDLG80  To the best of my knowledge, the SWAT van is not based on an existing set.  At least I haven't found one yet.  For the chassis, I used the SWAT vehicle in set 70808 Super Cycle Chase as a starting point.

Here are the additional views of MetalBeard that you originally requested:

Metalbeard's "strong, virile" body is the Pirate Captain from collectible minifig series 8 with the beard and parrot added:

31578643574_b1fb287e64_c.jpg

Here's how to transform MetalBeard into his "Down on the Farm" variation.  As you've noticed, it has a lot of unattached "floating" pieces.  If you build this physically, what I would suggest is to support these pieces from behind with plates and clips.

From the top, down:

1) Place his sword in his mast (NOTE:  The sword is "floating."  It is not attached).
2) Angle his "shoulder pads" upward.
3) Remove his head.
4) Rotate his hat 90 degrees and place it on his metal "beard" (Also floating).
5) Remove his arms and chains.
6) Add dish "ears" (floating).
7) Add dish eyes and eyebrows (floating).
8) Open the treasure chest, add 1 x 1 plates for upper teeth (floating) and 1 x 4 plate with 2 studs for lower teeth (floating).
9) Rotate his waist 90 degrees, rotating the right leg forward.  Angle his right foot forward.  Angle his left leg backward.

32381872726_b123ddf912_c.jpg

If you do build anything from the movie, it would be great to see pictures here!

@Xon67 many thanks as always for the explanations!!
I actually had a spare Metalbeard which I re-arranged to match  the "Down on the Farm" version, have ordered the extra couple of parts for ears/eyes and will try and find a way to connect the floating parts now that I know they are in fact floating ;-)
I also ordered a Pirate Captain and extra Metalbeard parts to create the strong virile version, however still wondering what I will do with the 2x2 plate that is attached to the actual metal beard... Will probably leave it I guess.

I've also started playing around in LDD on the SWAT Canon Van, and if possible would you share alternate angles of the van to help identify parts used if thats ok to do?
I kinda wished I hadn't seen these new creations to replicate as I tend to have too many projects going at one time and start one and move to another, then go back again etc etc
Happy I have most parts ordered.collected for the Copper Chopper and am half way through my Upgraded Lord Business Lair MOC....

Look forward to completing some of these projects so I can share!

@NDLG80  Here's an updated render of the SWAT van for you:

32348789812_d7e9b60e81_c.jpg

The hardest part for me to track down for this build was the one used for the fenders, 98834 spoiler with shaft, because I wasn't familiar with it.  It does come in black.

I have to let you know that I cheated on the wheels.  I couldn't find a good way to attach these size wheels and rims and still include the hubcaps.  The approach used in set 70808 didn't work with these rims.  I used 6587 crossaxle 3M with knob so I could attach the hubcaps with 1x1 round plates, but it didn't leave much length on the back side to attach the wheels to the frame.  Let me know if you come up with anything better.

@GentlemanJoker.  Hi!

It depends on the size and complexity of the build.  It can take me an hour to recreate a vehicle that's based off of an existing set that has minor modifications.  It might take a couple of days to recreate a building that's based off of an existing modular but has major modifications.  Or, I could take a couple of weeks to finish a large build that isn't based on any set.

Include additional time if any rare parts are used that I'm not familiar with and have to go searching for, or if the item isn't shown for very long on screen and I have to look for additional references, such as behind the scenes videos.  Most often, the research takes longer than the actual build itself.

Thanks for stopping by!

Edited by Xon67

@Xon67 Well I have completed my Metalbeard in his strong & virile body with the purchase of the Pirate Captain minifig and the use of some sharp tools to modify his actual beard (part 15440) so that it would fit closer to the minifig body.
Also painted it to look closer to the Metalbeard with his hearty crew in the movie...
Thanks for the inspiration!! 
Awaiting the final parts needed for the "Down on the farm" Metalbeard to arrive too :-)
31783315814_f29f61e06e_z.jpgMetalbeards Strong & Virile Body by Nath D, on Flickr

@NDLG80. That looks great!  I applaud your use of sharp tools and paint (I'm politically incorrect that way)!

Keep up the good work!  Can't wait to are more.

Next stop in the Octan tower:  the executive conference room.

32333989510_ff3c719dca_c.jpg

I wanted to say "why would you loose so much time sitting in front of PC, and not playing, then I started scrolling and got lost in great designs, then started taking notes, then saving pictures - this is fantastic, friend :)