Hey, Xon67, NDLG80, these recreations are really amazing.    I too was looking to build some of the structures in brick.   I've noticed that there seems to be three shades of gray in Emmet's apartment: light bluish grey, dark bluish grey, and a third color.    Most of the elements are not available in the third shade of grey, however, as far as I can tell.   In LDD, you're not constrained to using the actual production colors, but how would you simplify this to light bluish grey and dark bluish grey? 

The one element that we are really lacking is 41533.   In reality, this element is only available in red, white, and black, but none of these colors really look right for an AC unit.   Also note that the apartment has a central air unit at the top of the building adjacent to the fire escape, but the residents are still using window AC units.    This is probably authentic to the movie.

Hi @CopperTablet As you probably have noticed and as I have certainly discovered in doing real brick builds of some of these designs, is that they used colours on bricks in the movie that don't exist in real Lego bricks...
In my build (based on @BlackStar awesome design) I was able to do the build fine using just Light and Dark Bluish Grey with white.. I tweeked a few parts and colours to make it easier on my spending for the build, but pretty much looks the same :-)
In regards to part 41533, that was a challenge for me as there were very few available through Aussie Bricklink stores, however ended up sourcing 4 black ones in the end, which suit the build and close enough to the movie I think :-)
Good luck with attempting your real brick version :-)

@Fitmanb. @CopperTablet. My builds attempt to recreate what is on-screen as closely as possible.  Often, that means choosing part/color combinations that don't exist in real LEGO parts.  Making them physically means having to make the choice of either substituting in other parts/colors or using paint to match the color seen in the movie.

Fitmanb -- My large crawler crane doesn't have an under carriage.  The "wheels" that the treads go on are floating (just like in the movie).   Also, I'm not sure how well the crane part itself would hold up--it uses small clips in the bends of the crane arm.  It would be more work to figure out how to get this to work physically than other models.  This was one of my favorite models from the movie and I would like to see it in physical bricks, too.  I just haven't taken the time to figure out the structural issues.

@NDLG80. Thanks for chiming in on the subject!  Also, your apartment building looks spot-on.  Thanks so much for posting pictures!

Edited by Xon67

How do you guys envision the interior of the apartment looking, specifically, how do minifigures go up and down floors?     The 50-stud wide interior that Xon67 built is not rectangular like the building (and it's physically wider, as was pointed out)   I understand that the goal is to recreate the film scenes, but I would like it if my building was more than just an empty "prop".  Do you feel there is a stairwell in the back area with three windows?   How many studs wide should it be?  

I don't think there are any references from the film.

Edited by CopperTablet

Another Bricksburg modular building complete with help from @Xon67 :-)
Joe the Plumber's apartment building was obviously a modification of the Market Street official set, and if you ask me a better version...
42426157355_0c8d93ee4f_z.jpgJoe the Plumbers Apartment-1 by Nath D, on Flickr
29460223138_9999d8afc8_z.jpgJoe the Plumbers Apartment-3 by Nath D, on Flickr

I also thought I'd share an image of how they look together :-)
29460222758_aaef6d0dc2_z.jpgJoe the Plumbers Apartment-2 by Nath D, on Flickr

Hoping to do the Fresh Food Market in the near future and will also share my Octan Tower modular once I get to photographing it too

Looks fantastic.   I have decided to try to implement a splash of old light grey in the structure to try to capture Xon67's distinctive look of three tones of grey.   I will also be using white 41533 on the building.

The interior will have an elevator, although it will be different from the one in the original Town Hall and will be facing the door to Emmet's kitchen.   I decided that the stairwell was going to take up way too much space.    The interior will have to be condensed a bit to fit the structure of the building, but it will be a faithful homage.    Unfortunately, while the original appears to be in some shade of aqua, there doesn't seem to be a ready supply of bricks in this color in the US at the moment.   It is likely that I will have to use a different blue instead.

Update:   This SDCC set implies that the Lego Movie 2 will take place in an area called "Apocalypseburg".    Will it be fo time in Bricksburg?

https://brickset.com/article/37257/sdcc-exclusive-apocalypseburg-unikitty!

Edited by CopperTablet
added Lego Movie 2 info

@CopperTablet Here is a plan view of Emmet's apartment (the 50-stud-wide version).  Hopefully it will give you an idea of the available space for stairs/elevator, etc.

41642515710_4af18fdb0a_c.jpg

@NDLG80  That looks amazing!  Great work!  It would be great to see more.

For anyone who is interested, I have posted my first pic of the Master Builder submarine in the Assembling Cloud Cuckoo Land topic (just click on the clouds in my signature below).  More views will be posted in the near future.

Edited by Xon67

No, it's not the end, but the beginning of the end credits.

42749991585_a987dbbfce_c.jpg

Also, I have posted the other side of the Master Builder submarine in the Assembling Cloud Cuckoo Land topic (click the clouds in my signature below).

Hope it's okey that I post this here. 
I've built the police car after Xon67 and Yeow's pictures as reference. (I think you might be wrong about the rear window? Also I was missing the two stud wide white cheese piece, so I used the one stud wide).
Thank you both! 
(my son's hand in the picture....)

42264712220_6c10c6e52e_z.jpg

Great job with the Fresh Fruit Market, it's a really surreal, dreamlike building, halfway between a supermarket and a cereal box.    It's kind of interesting that Finn's father would build such a thing: it looks like something that came out of the mind of a child.

Still working on my version of the apartment, have been very busy lately.   

@mikaelsol  You are absolutely correct!  The original set 4435 uses the same window for the front and back of the car, but they used a different piece in the movie.  Good one!  I have updated my model to look like yours.  And--you are welcome to post here any time!

@NDLG80  I am amazed at how quickly you are cranking out these buildings!  I wish I could see them in person.  What's the next thing you are working on?  Do you have an opportunity to display these anywhere for others to see?

Here's the next credits scene:

44144619392_999d3c0632_c.jpg

Where do you buy your enormous persistence?! I would make a bulk purchase :D These builds are cool but that aspect is almost somewhat dwarfed by the very fact you are still keeping up the pace on this project :O

Thanks @CopperTablet :-) It is a cool build, it has definately added alot of colour into my Bricksburg modular range.

@Xon67 Haha.... I was working on 4 at one time, however will have a break from modulars for a bit I think as I have the coolest looking ones to accompany Emmets apartment building so far :-) Will certainly get a photo with them all together when I can...
Would love to display at another local brick show when there is one close enough to where I live as I have a heap more built since last time I displayed :-)
My next project is the movie scale Emmets Apartment interior.... I had wanted to build it for a long time, and finally decided to use Yellowish Green as the interior walls which is the closest to whats used in the movie. :-)
After that I am going to be slowly working on how to make the Master Builder Submarine in real bricks which will be a big but fun project :-)

It looks like there's some greebling on the roof of Xon67's Fresh Fruit Market that would be pretty easy to add.   Central air unit?

Edited by CopperTablet

6 hours ago, CopperTablet said:

It looks like there's some greebling on the roof of Xon67's Fresh Fruit Market that would be pretty easy to add.   Central air unit?

Hey @CopperTablet... Yeah there were a few things on the roof for both the Fresh Fruit Market and Mrs Scratchenposts buildings, however opted to leave them out as it makes it easier to fit onto the shelves height-wise when there isn't much sticking up from the roof.... :-)
I did start collecting parts for the roof bits and pieces but left them out in the end....

Here's some pictures of the Monorail Station Build in progress...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/136144235@N03/WS9420

https://www.flickr.com/gp/136144235@N03/D1805s

https://www.flickr.com/gp/136144235@N03/N90X0j

I've had to make some changes to cope with structural integrity in the 'real world'. Sorry if the quality is a bit naff but...

Also learning how to post...how do you get pictures to show?

Edited by Fitmanb

@krisandkris12  Great question.  I think it's at least a combination of needing a creative outlet and appreciating how clever the LEGO Movie is.  The more I look, the more I want to build.  We'll see how long I can keep this up...

@Fitmanb  That's looking great!  I think it's fantastic to see everyone recreating the movie in real brick. 

I post my images on Flikr.  Here's a tutorial:  

Yes, it's a Wednesday.  Nevertheless, here's Taco Tuesday.

29407808267_a240c19d21_c.jpg

@BlackStar I was just thinking the other day about the full scale Emmets Construct O Mech you are building and was wondering if you ever ended up getting close to completion as I'd love to see the real world build as I'm sure it would be a beast :-)
Was anyone else attempting this in real bricks @Xon67??

Edited by NDLG80

@NDLG80. If you start on this page and read forwards, you'll see the progress of @BlackStar and @STeNCH working on their builds.  I don't know how far they got.  Any updates, guys?

It's a big model, coming in at nearly 4,000 bricks.  It doesn't have any internal support, so you'd have to add that.  Let me know if you give it a try!

Thanks for the link @Xon67, I remember seeing some part collecting photos for the build and was curious if it was ever built in part or whole.

It’s not something I’d ever try building, however was impressed by what you guys had done in LDD and is always more impressive to see something in real bricks :-)

Hoping I have something new to post soon in my Bricksburg builds..