Time for a small update before you all think I'm not working on this anymore :D

34354508151_cbf85c4c77_b.jpg

34099810020_d40fd952da_b.jpg

So, the good news obviously is that I am also attempting to make a real build out of this.

The bad news is that I cannot use LDD at all. The rendering is still messed up, and I can't build without using brick outlines, it feels about the same as driving with your right hand tied to your back.

I tried importing it into Stud.io, doesn't import correctly and will not allow me to re-export it again as LXF.

So I started on the main body.

@STeNCH

I know the connections are not working yet. I'll try when I have all bricks for the torso here to make it connect properly :)

Meanwhile, we still need to figure out the side connections, the photo below is the only shot of this connection which shows how it should be done:

34100039880_3fe6c24f1e_b.jpg

I'm about halfway through the parts for the torso, which is around 1100.

Special thanks definitely have to go to set  7047 Coast Watch HQ, this is the only set that includes the 6x1x5 yellow slope :)

To be continued guys :)

@BlackStar. @STeNCH

That is a Beam 2 with Angled Ball Joint (50923 / 59141) held in place by a Technic Brick 1 x 2 with Pin Hole and 2 Half Beam Side Extensions with Axel Hole (85943) and an Axle 2 (32062).

Edited by Xon67

Ohh man, you guys are seriously doing this. Yes yes yes! :wub:

Hi @KamalMYafi You're welcome to the party at any time!  I wonder how many times I've watched The LEGO Movie, too.  It's kind of difficult to figure out, since I tend to watch certain scenes over and over again when looking for references!

Here's another update to the mech.  I placed the hips in the correct location (they are not fully attached at the waist), filled in some gaps in the torso on the shoulders and lower back (the new parts are in dark red to show what changed), and modified the heels on the feet (they are now asymmetrical as seen in the movie). 

34744028015_1e7dc8ed6d_c.jpg

The .lxf file is here on Brickshelf:  http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Xon67/Movie/movie_emmetsmech_2017-05-18.lxf

Edited by Xon67

Nice job Xon!

@KamalMYafi

You are a bit late to the party, but definitely not too late :D

I received another 4 bricklink orders this week, I still need to do a couple more,

@Xon67

Xon, I am close to being able to build the torso part. I'll put my focus on building and reinforcing the torso, will update the LDD file when it's done. After that I think I'll start building the shoulder pads.

Ok after a long break I finally picked up the last parts I needed to make a real build of the Instruction Holder that Gail is seen working on in the Lego Movie...
Thanks so much @Xon67 for working out the build and sharing a couple of pics to help me work this one out...
It's pretty much complete with maybe a couple of alterations needed for the holder that Gail sits on...
Also AMAZING work @STeNCH @BlackStar @Xon67,  that you are doing on the full scale Construct A Mech, can't wait to see your completed real builds of that beast!!
34710796412_9d3f3c192c_z.jpgTLM Instruction Holder Truck by Nath D, on Flickr
34710795272_40449dbd60_z.jpgTLM Instruction Holder Truck-4 by Nath D, on Flickr
34030995434_3f76c55e47_z.jpgTLM Instruction Holder Truck-5 by Nath D, on Flickr

34710795992_db75e7fc1c_z.jpgTLM Instruction Holder Truck-2 by Nath D, on Flickr

@NDLG80 incredible job on that instruction machine!

I am now FINALLY getting close to having all the parts for the torso. (well.. as it is currently.. keep reading..)

@Xon67

Requesting to lock the torso part from the build from the 18th of may, I will do some heavy modifications and would prefer not to get 'merge conflicts' ;)

Still if you want to continue, the shoulders+arms+lower abdomen + legs are removed from my working LDD file, so those can be altered with no merging problems later on.

I hereby present the 3 image plan for building the torso!

34891799365_9f4220458f_b.jpg

The plan always was to subdivide the torso otherwise it will be impossible to build.

What I want to do is to subdivide the torso in 4 parts. The middle will obviously connect to the lower abdomen. Problem here is that it's connected with a single axle so it will fall over, I'm going to try to find a way to support it.

Step 2 will be the sides

34081131073_4cf1e5cfcb_b.jpg

This way I can easily reinforce these sides, and make them connect properly since it's already a weak structure due to the bricks being built in different directions

Finally step 3 would be to build the back

34851736376_723661d1dd_b.jpg

12 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Vey good! I once tried to build one of these, it didn't work very well. Can yours actually hold instructions?

Hi @ColletArrow...
At this stage I haven't actually tried putting instructions on it due to the small size of the background, however was thinking of maybe copying and resizing the Double Decker couch instructions to fit this set or something like that...

Having played an hour of the LEGO Movie Game on PS3 yesterday, that instruction holder looks pretty good. Big "Thumbs up" for all of you here working on Bricksburg / Steinstadt :thumbup:

@NDLG80  That looks great!  Now I want to build one for myself!

@BlackStar  I'll stay away from the torso until you say it's available again.  Glad to have you back!

@Capparezza  I've put a good amount of time in on the game myself.  It's a fun one to play.  Thanks for the kind comment!

I have started another topic in the train forum for the LEGO Movie steam train.  The link is available in my signature below.  I plan to post final builds of all of the train cars except the caboose (I can't find any good reference images of that car anywhere...).

At some point, I'm also going to start an Old West topic in the historic theme forum to post a few different builds.

Stay tuned!

The legs are coming together.  The ankles and knees are connected in loose hinges--they won't actually support any weight.  I have included an alternate "ankle bone" that is stronger than the one used in the assembled legs.  Also, the round knee parts on the side don't quite line up to the "mud flaps."

35095825885_14b0018a38_c.jpg

.lxf file:  http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Xon67/Movie/movie_emmetsmech_2017-06-04.lxf

The upper arms and legs and their attachment points are turning out to the be most difficult parts to reproduce--which is why they are probably the last items left in the build--and why my brain hurts.  There are a couple of frames that show the parts there, but I just can't identify what they are.  I'll keep working on it, but we may end up making up these areas entirely.

Just wow!  Awesome builds.  I am particularly impressed with the mech.

@Xon67

Nice job! I am now the proud owner of a truckload of yellow bricks :) My holiday is coming up in a couple of weeks, so I can finally start assembling the torso :D

When that's done I'm going to put it back in the LXF file. For attachment points, I think we should make something ourselves that will be sturdy but not too obvious. (Well, since the other 98% of the Mech is spot on, I don't think anyone's going to notice).

And if everything else fails, we always have a backup plan, we could always build a cool support structure, sort of like charging station :)

When you guys finish it I'm gonna build the mech with my 6 yr old son!  I will post pictures of him playing with it.  This is so much better than the official lego build!  You gotta put this into the official moc collection, https://rebrickable.com/mocs/, so other people can enjoy it!  I did some research and there is only one other mech that is even close and its on a Korean (? I think) flickr type account with no build guide.  Also, I got him playing with LDD today after showing him your progress!  Thanx guys!

Hello @Xon67, i just discovered this post recently. I am currently a beginner in 3d animation. I want to start with a Lego animation. I already have 1 or 2 idea for my first animation but once i'll be done with that, i'll have to find new animation material. I would really like to have scenes from the movie. Emmet's street would be awesome, along with the "Where are my pants"'s set and the cofee shop (I also like the downtown).
Could you please share with me the files you said you have ?

Thank you.

@DanK  Thanks for the posts--and welcome to Eurobricks!  I always appreciate folks who are interested in building based off of these posts.  I hope you and your son are able to pull it off!  It's a lot bigger than the official set.

@BlackStar  I look forward to your updates!

@DEFCON SHARK  I've been hesitant to publish all of my models.  The ones that I have made available are on the first page of this topic.  Also, all of the official LEGO modular sets are available in LDD in the "LEGO Digital Designer and other digital tools" forum on this site.  Look for "[KEY TOPIC] Official LEGO Sets made in LDD".

Here's a rough first pass at the mech.  It still needs an internal structure, the "bones" in the upper arm are not attached, and the hip joints are purely for looks and alignment purposes (they won't hold any weight).  But for now, at least it looks good!

35240048123_aa6360900e_o.png

.lxf file: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Xon67/Movie/movie_emmetsmech_2017-07-20.lxf

Edited by Xon67

@Xon67

Amazing.. I still have to check how tall it stands next to the modulars/emmet's apartment building.

This will be a beauty once it's done. :D

@BlackStar

I'm having some challenges with Bluerender right now.  Once I get it working, I'll have some comparison images for everyone.

Edited by Xon67

On 21/07/2017 at 4:42 AM, Xon67 said:

@DEFCON SHARK  I've been hesitant to publish all of my models.  The ones that I have made available are on the first page of this topic.  Also, all of the official LEGO modular sets are available in LDD in the "LEGO Digital Designer and other digital tools" forum on this site.  Look for "[KEY TOPIC] Official LEGO Sets made in LDD".

@Xon67 Nice job recreating Emmet's titan !

Ok. I can understand that you wish to keep some models non public.

But what about sharing this privately with only the people who could make good use of these files ? Would it be ok ?

I don't have the faintest idea of how you guys and particularly Xon is doing all this. None whatsoever.

I come here regularly and every time I am simply left speechless. It is, if I had accidentally hacked into a radio control communication and just listen to what is happening - being in awe - and not knowing what to do. 

All this is unbelievable - but true. LDD files, real models, everything in between - and all that "just" because TLC initiated that wonderful movie.

I can't express how much I am impressed - and love so much following these updates.

As it must be "love for LEGO" to do all this. I wish I could contribute but you guys are simply playing in another league.

Sure hope that this is going on forever.

Thank you all very much for posting - and more importantly - doing this!

All the best
Thorsten