Sign in to follow this  
YellowCorvette

An article from Brickset-Review:Cheap Chinese Rubbish

Even briefly looking at the article I can see they picked up and reviewed items from a couple of the worst bootleg companies so they will look like cheap chinese rubbish because they are just that. Cheap. Chinese. Rubbish.

But we all know, at least some of us do, that there are some manufacturers that can produce superb figures that are still cheap and Chinese but are far from rubbish. S brand's Falcon Commandos, for a start, have fantastic printing across the whole torso, arms and legs. If Lego made these people would be talking about them for a long time for the sheer level of detail and print coverage.

If they just want to show clones of actual Lego figures I could photograph the Helicarrier Nick Fury from Lego and the same figure from a Chinese bootlegger. The print on the bootleg aligns much better than the Lego one and the quality of the print and plastic is basically Lego quality basically making the bootleg a better minifigure.

It wasn't that long ago there were people on this board, and who probably still do, call all Lego plastic that's manufactured in China toxic and harmful, that they get nauseous when they handle it. Those people will never accept plastic that's made outside of the regular European or American factories.

The article is by people who wanted to make all bootlegs look crap to an audience who want to read about all bootlegs being crap. In that sense it's done it's job.

Totally agree,Robianco.

As seen in the article,the writer describe the Chinese knockoffs been look cheap and rubbish,but he need to know,that the bootlegs and knockoffs of Lego are not been designed for art.It's a alternative to buying toys similar to Lego for the countries and families that don't have enough money to buy the real thing.The condition of buying Lego bootlegs and knockoffs products is very common in most of the third-world countries.I would talk about the trend to buying bootlegs and knockoffs of the real Lego sets at Malaysia here as a example.

At Malaysia here,the prices of the real Lego sets are very expensive when compared to USA,UK and Canada.Of course I can afford some of the medium-sized sets like the Star Wars microfighters and most of the Hero Factory sets.But some of the children's in my country are in poor condition,similar to China.You have no idea how expensive the real Lego sets are for them to effort.I also have some SY minifigures and the quality are quite good for a bootleg brand.The plastic quality are not as good like the minifigures produced by TLC,but the printings of the minifigures are not that bad.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

The entire point of the article and most of the comment section is what's known on the internet as a "circlejerk" a bunch of people basically gathering around to pat each other on the back for making some ignorant comment.

Yes there are much better bootlegs and fantastic clones out there too. He wanted to show off the bad ones so all the fanboys could line up to say how horrible they are and feel good about their lego purchase.

As far as lego allowing this, Lego isn't in a position to stop it. They only license the content from Marvel and Disney. It's not for them to go after other companies and defends Disney's IP. They are currently fighting a battle over trademark on their minifigures. If they can't lock up the basic shape of the minifigure then they would have zero grounds to complain about this. That trademark likely isn't valid in China so they couldn't do anything there anyway. The only one that could is Disney.