Sign in to follow this  
Lasse D

Review: 4953 Creator Fast Flyers

indexed.gif

I couldn't find a review of this wonderful set in here, so here it goes!

topeq1.jpg

I got the set for MSRP (180kr = 24 euro) which is a fair price here in Denmark. As all other Creator sets there are instructions for several models (3 in this case).

The box

The box is a little larger than City sets in the same price range. The primary model is shown on the front while you see the secondary ones on the back.

1box_front.jpg_thumb.jpg box_rear.jpg_thumb.jpg

What you get

312 pieces in 5 polybags and two building instructions: one for the primary model and the other for the rest.

all_out.jpg_thumb.jpg

The built

It was impossible for me to speed build this model because of the nifty functional details from the retractable landing gear to the wings that can turn by means of the handle in the back of the model. It took me a full hour to build it because I had to "test" how it all works together.

mechanism.jpg_thumb.jpg click.jpg_thumb.jpg

The finished model

The landing gear isn't fully enclosed when retracted and the models are sub-minifig scale, but I still love the design of the models.

The doors for the rear wheels open as you pull the wheels down and the final piece of functionality comes from the wings that can either tilt (the horizontal stabilizers) or have elevators.

beneath.jpg_thumb.jpg

direct.jpg_thumb.jpg side.jpg_thumb.jpg

Wing in, wings out, wings in, wings out...

out.jpg_thumb.jpg rear.jpg_thumb.jpg

Ratings

As a whole I actually like this set even more than the Big Rig. The models are just as diverse but the added functionality makes the plane more fun to play with than the rig.

Price: 7/10 - A good price, but not a bargain as the Big Rig

Design: 9/10 - There could have been a sligtly higher level of details in the main model, but all models are really good looking and I especially like the design of the hovercraft.

Functionality: 10/10 - I guess you could ask for working rudders, opening cockpit and so on, but the plane is really filled with movable parts and the turning of the wings works really well.

Secondary models: 7/10 - A hovercraft! How awesome is that!? If only the last model was just as inventive instead of a standard helicopter...

Modifiability: 8/10 - The bricks are in ordinary colours and there is a good variety of them giving you plenty of possibilities for MOC'ing. You can easily make the main model into something that looks more like an F-14.

9/10

Probably as good as it gets for a Creator set in this price range. It is entertaining to both build and play with, looks good and the secondary models are worth building as well!

(Brickshelf gallery)

Thanks! I was planning on doing this review but I have been a bit swamped lately. :-$ Great review of a great set. It isn't too hard to convert the plane to Mini-fig size either. (Sorry I forgot to take photos...)

I might add some photos to your review....

Nice review and a nice set. Thanks for taking the time. I'll want to pick this guy up.

Great review Lasse D. A definite two *y* up. I bought this set for the swing-wing concept. I was very curious what TLC's design was like. I have been working on modifying it just a little to look more like the F-14. So far I have completed the back section, but I need to finish the cockpit. Overall this is a great set. I *wub* TLC's swing-wing concept.

Model On!!

this is a really great set!

when i first saw it i thought "oh a silly small plane who needs that"

and then i got it

and i am very happy that i did!

this is one of the best designed lego creator sets!

and it was designed by the designer of the Cafe-Corner!!!!

A fine set, a great review and good additional pictures. Thanks Lasse D and Sinner. Teamwork on! *y*

Thank you Sinner for bringing the pictures of the hovercraft. I think

it is a really cool model, but The steering wheel doen't work too

well. It doesn't turn easilly all the way around and when the craft

turns, it doesn't stay stable on the three wheels because the front

wheel turns quite alot into the opposite side.

Now to the third model!

tertiary_rest.jpg_thumb.jpg

This is quite a basic helicopter with the functionality of having the rotors turning. It doesn't use that many of the bricks and doesn't even have a landing gear.

tertiary2.jpg_thumb.jpg tertiary3.jpg_thumb.jpg tertiary_bottom.jpg_thumb.jpg

I have a question to all of you.

As you can see, I prefer to show one or two large pictures and have the rest as clickable thumbnails. Most people use only the relatively big (typically 640x480) pictures so that you don't have to follow links.

What do you prefer? It is no problem for me to do it the other way, but I would like to know if you have any preferences.

Thank you Sinner for bringing the pictures of the hovercraft. I think

it is a really cool model, but The steering wheel doen't work too

well.

I agree. Errr... sorry if I have annoyed you by posting the pictures. Looking at your Brickshelf folder you had taken photos of the hovercraft as well and I seem to have stepped on your toes. :-$ Feel free to beat me up, or I could do it myself if you prefer... 8-|

(I prefer bigger pictures as I get tired of clicking, waiting, clicking, waiting. If the pictures are all there all you have to do is click then wait! :-P )

Thanks for this excellent review Lasse D! :-)

I was thinking about getting this the other day but decided not to. I regret my actions!

Glad to see Creator making great sets, the theme has so much potential, I just wish that this set had more models... |-/

Oh well can't have it all, anyway, Thanks! *sweet*

Batbrick Away! >:-)

I agree. Errr... sorry if I have annoyed you by posting the pictures. Looking at your Brickshelf folder you had taken photos of the hovercraft as well and I seem to have stepped on your toes.

(I prefer bigger pictures as I get tired of clicking, waiting, clicking, waiting. If the pictures are all there all you have to do is click then wait! :-P )

You didn't step on my toes because I took the pictures after you posted them :-P I just wanted to add them for completeness.

I can see the loading issue when you click a lot of pictures (I normally hold CTRL down so that they open in their own tabs... but they still have to load). Any other opinions?

Glad to see Creator making great sets, the theme has so much potential, I just wish that this set had more models... |-/

According to the guy that designed this set there was a Space Shuttle Alt model but this year Lego decided to not show them... *wacko*

You didn't step on my toes because I took the pictures after you posted them :-P I just wanted to add them for completeness.

That's a relief! :-) I didn't make the helicopter as it didn't impress me very much. I was curious about the hovercraft though.