Flipz

Heroica RPG - Quest #141: A Bone to Pick

12245041705_af2fb36419_o.jpg

"They claim to be. Truth be told, they seem to be more interested in causing problems for us innovators than in actually defending anyone. I still miss that sonic screwdriver they confiscated..."

12245041715_d0b150a808_o.jpg

"They've joined the Sungold Alliance along with the Hinckwells and the Ziegfrieds, and they stand opposed to those of us in the Crescent Union who stand for progress, creation, and liberty."

"Last I checked you wouldn't be able to build those new places or play with your toys if it weren't for the Bonapartes keeping Eubric from becoming a pirate den."

Jinnipher idly flipped a gold coin; one from the reward pouch. "So Eubric is being fought over by the families again, what else is new? New players, old game." She pocketed the coin and stretched. "Well, I'm not usually one to pass up experience a job, but first I want to know what you plan on doing with those bone fragments. They've already caused enough trouble."

Torald decides to await the answer from the scientists, regarding the use of the bones, before he makes up his mind on what to do.

"Last I checked you wouldn't be able to build those new places or play with your toys if it weren't for the Bonapartes keeping Eubric from becoming a pirate den."

Jinnipher idly flipped a gold coin; one from the reward pouch. "So Eubric is being fought over by the families again, what else is new? New players, old game." She pocketed the coin and stretched. "Well, I'm not usually one to pass up experience a job, but first I want to know what you plan on doing with those bone fragments. They've already caused enough trouble."

"Nothing like...whatever that was, I assure you. We're a great deal more forward-thinking than that, believe me."

Kiri, still laying on the ground, raises a middle finger to the man, but is apparently too tired to object further. Dr. Ralph either ignores or fails to notice her; it is difficult to tell which.

"Anyway, as befitting the creatures they come from, Ancient Bones are remarkably tough, very difficult to break, as I'm sure you experienced in your battle. And yet, for all their size and strength, they're remarkably light in weight. If we could somehow reverse-engineer those properties...well, I hardly have to need to describe the advantages, particularly in the fields of airship travel. Would give our vessels even more advantage over your standard sailing ships, not that they don't already outclass them in almost every way, of course."

"hmmm, okay. Sounds convincing enough for me. I'll go with you. You know, to make sure you don't do weird stuff with them."

"I... Well, it sounds like you're doing good work. I'll throw my hat into the ring."

QM Note: You got half of your reward before the battle, and I automatically gave you the second half now that the battle's over. :wink: The scientists are asking for the Ancient Bone Fragments, a Quest Item dropped by the Undead Tyrannosaur.

OoC: But I thought the deal was however many bones we turned in = amount of Gold? We all still have the bones in our inventories.

"Lead on gentlemen." Boris glanced down at Kiri, "You going to be alright down there?"

OoC: But I thought the deal was however many bones we turned in = amount of Gold? We all still have the bones in our inventories.

QM Note: That would be your friendly neighborhood QM screwing up. :laugh: Those should have been gone at the start of battle, I'll fix it when I have a chance to update. :blush:

OoC: How does the absorb-ability in my elementalist cap work? Do I choose one element and exactly what property does the cap then grants me?

QM Note: Yes, you pick one of the nine elements, and then when you are hit by an attack of that element (including if you choose to target yourself), you will gain health from the attack instead of taking damage.

QM Note: I'll assume Kheyli is coming along as well; let me know if I'm wrong, K-Nut.

Quest2NPC2.jpg

"Despite all the craziness, it's been good working with ya, Heroes. Take care of yourselves."

Mac and Dr. Don leave, no doubt heading for their meeting at Crescent Hill. Dr. Ralph leads the party back to the city streets.

"I can't thank you enough for your help, this may very well be the start of the design breakthrough I've been searching for! It shouldn't take but a few minutes to get these back to the lab from here...the only problem is, we'll have to use the service entrance, since Dr. Tesla isn't available to airlift them in. The bone fragments are rather bulky, unfortunately, so you can either carry them sideways (5x2 stud T-shape, 1 stud tall) or vertically (1x2 stud profile, 5 studs tall). It should be possible to carry them under bridges while sideways, or through narrow alleys while vertical. Here, Dr. Tesla made some aerial surveys of the city, let me show you where we're going so you can plan your route."

Dr. Ralph pulls out a roll of parchment and scrolls through it until it shows the proper area, drawing red indicators to represent the Heroes.

22236439126_f46bf70277_c.jpg

Your job is to transport the bone fragments from the opening at the top of the map to the opening at the bottom of the map. You may move horizontally or vertically, but not diagonally; additionally, your moves and rotations must be physically possible to complete. You may rotate yourself and/or the bone fragment freely in three dimensions, but only in increments of 90 degrees.

Solutions may be in text form (i.e. "1 stud south, 1 stud west, 2 studs south, rotate west, 6 studs west, rotate bone vertical, rotate south", etc.) or drawn visually on a copy of the picture, whichever is most convenient for you.

Please PM your answer. You have 48 hours to solve the puzzle.

Sorry, had a long day yesterday. My shotiness of updates should be done, though. :thumbup:

Jinnipher nods to Mac upon his departure, then looks at the map. "Well, a small delivery mission can't hurt. Even though I am suspicious of the intent to reinforce your airships... Not planning to build a rivaling navy to the Bonapartes, are we?"

Jinnipher nods to Mac upon his departure, then looks at the map. "Well, a small delivery mission can't hurt. Even though I am suspicious of the intent to reinforce your airships... Not planning to build a rivaling navy to the Bonapartes, are we?"

"To be fair, a seaship could hardly fight back against an airship if one was to attack the other...

Not sayin' you're wrong, I'm saying they may have already done that... But wow, ships that can fly. Crazy, huh."

"Damn... I ain't no good with puzzles..." Torald sighs loudly.

"Neither am I. The hadest puzzle I ever had was figurin' out where to plant corn seeds at the farm."

"I should be able to do this!"

"Hope so, you got more of a mage's intuiton than i do. Plus, uh, I bet that stomach mouth gives you good ideas, too."

"To be fair, a seaship could hardly fight back against an airship if one was to attack the other...

Not sayin' you're wrong, I'm saying they may have already done that... But wow, ships that can fly. Crazy, huh."

Jinnipher shrugs. "I have yet to find out about these Ji Pei myself, but if they have any intention to use the airships for anything but transport, then I think we have a problem with who is really policing the Crystalline. The Bonapartes can't do their jobs if ships can just fly over checkpoints without cargo inspections."

"I'd like to meet whoever is in charge of overseeing air transport." She nodded pointedly to Dr. Ralph.

"Now let's see... this should work." She traced a long slender finger along the alleyways of Eubric imprinted on the map.

Dr. Ralph laughs.

"To call us rivals to the Bonapartes is to call a were-lion a rival to wolves; we already outclass them in so many ways, they simply fail to recognize it, stuck as they are in the ways of the past."

Jinnipher shrugs. "I have yet to find out about these Ji Pei myself, but if they have any intention to use the airships for anything but transport, then I think we have a problem with who is really policing the Crystalline. The Bonapartes can't do their jobs if ships can just fly over checkpoints without cargo inspections."

"I'd like to meet whoever is in charge of overseeing air transport." She nodded pointedly to Dr. Ralph.

"Now let's see... this should work." She traced a long slender finger along the alleyways of Eubric imprinted on the map.

"In charge? Truth be told, all of us scientists tend to operate with a certain degree of autonomy; unlike the Bonapartes, whose harbormasters' corruption is well-documented at the expense of our cargo, more often than not, we prefer the freedom to expand and explore on our own. The closest person we have to an overseer would be Dr. Legonardo, but he's away in Xu at the moment. You could probably find Dr. Giconda at Crecent Union headquarters at Chateau de Shadeaux, I'll be happy to show you the way once we're finished here."

The Heroes split up to follow their separate paths, with Kheyli staying behind, either unwilling or unable to assist. Both Terry and Torald turn east and make significant progress, but in the final stretch inadvertently jam their bone fragments immovably between a bridge and a wall when they try to rotate them. Boris and Ezeran, however, take a more winding Western route, successfully navigating the city streets, while Jinnipher takes a similar route with an unorthodox shortcut.

"Hmm...unorthodox, but it seems you've made it nonetheless. Well done, Miss Knight, I like your style."

QM Note: While your path was technically incorrect, given the lack of clarity from the angle I photographed the puzzle, I'll allow your solution to stand, JimBee. :blush:

Boris' solution:

22280918472_8d9973a470_z.jpg

Jinnipher's solution:

22281030695_482abef3a3_z.jpg

Jinnipher, Boris, and Ezeran gain experience for solving the puzzle. Dr. Ralph waves Terry and Torald over from their hopelessly stuck fragments as the other three exit the plaza.

"Never mind, never mind, the others have made it through. Tis the thought that counts, and besides, one should never stick with a hypothesis once it's proven untenable."

With the five assisting Heroes in tow, Dr. Ralph reaches the warehouse, accepting the three remaining bone fragments from the Heroes and taking them inside before returning to thank them.

"Thank you for your assistance, Heroes. The knowledge we gain from these bones will surely improve our technologies, leading to a great future of bright progress for Eubric! I will be sure to mention you five's assistance to the Ji Pei--they will be most grateful for your support."

THE SIDE MISSION IS SUCCESSFUL!

The Party

m0BoJW5.png

Terry Yelnats (played by Endgame)
*Party Leader!*

Male Human Mage

Level 9

Power Bonus:

Health:
13/13 (5+8)

Defense:

Ether:
15/15 (5+8+2)

Gold:

Equipment:
Grumpy's Staff
(WP: 10),
Robes of the Murine Chieftan
(SP:2, Max Ether +2, grants
Command
over rats; bodywear, suitable to Ether-using classes),

Inventory:
Ether Lash Wand: (WP 3 Wand, at the cost of 1 ether per WP the Wand becomes dual strike for one attack.), Cattle Prod Staff (WP: 3), 3x Potion, Sapphire (Wind), Opal (Ice), 2x Bat Guano (can be thrown at an enemy to cause the Blind Effect), Bedroll, Ancient Amber (Makes a weapon deal double damage to Ancient-type enemies when merged into a weapon at a smithy; can only be merged once per weapon, and never into shields; the weapon must be renamed to include "ancient" and "amber" in the name.), Leather Cap (SP: 1), Grand Tonic, Tricorne (SP:3, headwear; suitable to anyone)

19557531433_d6c5c4d5c6_t.jpg

Jinnipher Buchaire
(JimBee)

76-year-old female Moon Elven Knight
*Deals half damage to/takes half damage from Beasts, Plants, and Vermin*

Level 10.5

Power Bonus:

Defense:

Health:
19/19

Gold:

Equipment:
Brine Blade
(WP:5, deals
Poison 5
; greatsword),
Natural Shield
(SP:6, bearer deals half damage to and takes half damage from Beasts, Plants, and Vermin; shield),
Moone Mail
(SP:3; bodywear)

Inventory:
The Beheader (WP:15, defies SP; greatsword), Full Moon Shield (SP:5), Vorpalis Conquerors (Power +0; goes up by 2 for every enemy defeated, drops back down to 0 if the wearer is knocked out or if the battle ends; footwear), Paper Doll (protects from
Hexed
-effect; accessory), 3x Potion, Grand Potion, Greater Tonic, 3x Remedy, Bedroll, Shovel, Letter of Recommendation, Venom, Bone, Opal (Ice), Gloves of the Aspirant Zieg-friend (Spellpower +5, Max Ether +5; suitable to those with reputation among the Ziegfrieds only; if reputation is great, values are doubled; if reputation is outstanding, values are tripled; handwear),

15856534637_fe5336c6b9_t.jpg

Boris Bruhalv
(Waterbrick Down)

38 year old male vampire Cleric *Immune to
Stunned
and
Poisoned

Level 11.5

Power Bonus:

Defense:
(2)

Health:
19/19
(9+10)

Ether:
15/15
(5+10)

Gold:

Equipment:
Simple Mace
(WP: 3, mace),
Rusty Chainmail
(SP: 2, Immune to Stunned and Poison),
Defender's Ring
(Accessory, Rolls of "Heal Less" become "Heal"),

Inventory:
Scroll of Sleep (Enables casting the asleep-effect to the target, forcing them to miss its turn for three rounds or until woken up by an attack. Each casting has a 50/50 chance of success and costs 1 ether.), 2 Potions, 2 Remedies, 4 Tonics, Ether Core, 1x Sleep Bomb, 3x Blind Bomb, Military Grade Fire Bomb (Deals 10 Fire damage to all opponents when used), Military Grade Dirt Bomb (Deals 10 Ground damage to all opponents when used), Military Grade Holy Bomb (Deals 10 Holy damage to all opponents when used), Military Grade Lightning Bomb (Deals 10 Lightning damage to all opponents when used), Floral Bomb, 3x Bone, Grating Stone, Crimson Scorpion Dagger (WP:5, deals
Cursed
; dagger), Emerald (Wood), Cultist Cap (regular attacks do damage to Undead; headwear, suitable to anyone),

19745451253_0970632efb_m.jpg

Ezeran Yavarr (MysticModulus)

42 year old male human mage

Level 5

Power Bonus:

Defense:

Health:
9/9 (5+4)

Ether:
9/9 (5+4)

Gold:

Equipment:
Ancient Sapphamber Staff
(WP:7, doubled against Ancient enemies, Wind-elemental; staff),
Hood of the Elementalist
(SP:1, absorbs one element of the user's choice; this element cannot be changed once selected; headwear, suitable to anyone)

Inventory:
Staff infested with demonic slime (WP 3), 2x Potion, 2x Grand Tonic, Emerald (Wood), Ruby (Fire), Ebony Scorpion Dagger (WP:5, deals
Poisoned-by-3
; dagger),

photo-thumb-43982.jpg?_r=1438604472

Torald Waruelf
(Alfadas)

20 year old male Human Barbarian

Level 4

Power Bonus:

Defense:

Health:
11/11 (8+3)

Gold:

Equipment:
Ebony Scorpion Spear
Poisoned-by-3
; spear),
Tricorne
(SP:3, headwear; suitable to anyone)

Inventory:
Gaia Blade (WP:5, Wood-elemental, ignores defenses of foes weak to Wood, gems cannot be merged into or removed from the weapon; greatsword), Ignis Blade (WP:5, Fire-elemental, ignores SP of foes weak to Fire, gems cannot be merged into or removed from the weapon; greatsword), Old and Rusty Greatsword (WP: 3), Potion, Mead, Tiger Balm, Fire Bomb, Aeolus Bomb (Deals 100
wind
-elemental damage to all opponents when used.),

20217260639_41a3b453ac_t.jpg

Kheyli
(K-Nut)

327 years old female fairy Barbarian
*Damages Undead*

Level 5

Power Bonus:

Defense:

Health:
12/12 (8+4)

Gold:

Equipment
:
Rat Club
Afraid
to Vermin-type enemies and
Poisoned-by-1
to enemies of all types; club),
Cultist Cap
(regular attacks do damage to Undead; headwear, suitable to anyone),

Inventory:
Gelum Blade (WP:5, Ice-elemental, ignores SP of foes weak to Ice, gems cannot be merged into or removed from the weapon; greatsword), Electrum Blade (WP:5, Lightning-elemental, ignores SP of foes weak to Lightning, gems cannot be merged into or removed from the weapon; greatsword), Barrager (WP:3 Greatsword), 3x Potion, Mead, Poison Bomb, Aeolus Bomb (Deals 100
wind
-elemental damage to all opponents when used.),

Reputation Breakdown for Sandy:

+1 Ji Pei (all Heroes except Kheyli)

---------------

Several weeks later...

"...and as I suspected, the lithification of the calcified matrix method results in a structure both lighter and stronger than our traditional standards. I've supplemented over our standard frames, of course, for modular re-assembly, but I do believe this new material will be far superior for the majority of our applications."

12245041715_d0b150a808_o.jpg

"That's well and good, Dr. Ralph, but need the new ship's construction be so...intimidating?"

"What? Oh...yes, well, I suppose it could be taken that way, but I am merely paying proper tribute to the source of these marvelous discoveries. Besides, it's just a simple airship..."

22369657545_d2ae4e375f_c.jpg

"...who could possibly take it the wrong way?"

QM Note: Thanks for participating, everyone, especially through my delays and sickness at the end here. :blush: You may all return to Heroica Hall now. :classic:

Jinnipher crossed her arms, though she couldn't hide her grin at her success. She may have left Eubric for a few years, but she still knew the streets like the back of her hand. "Well that wasn't so hard. But listen here, doc. Ever consider that the Bonapartes want what's best for everyone? Maybe they thought your science experiments were dangerous. I've been away from Eubric for a while so I don't know about corruption, but at least we're not being attacked by pirates."

She looked out at the setting sun. "As for a visit, maybe another time. I think it's high time for a mead." She raised a hand in parting. "So long. I'll see the rest of you back in the Hall." She let her eyes linger on each of the other five heroes for a moment each, then turned to depart.

Terrry wears an embarrassed expression as his bone snags, but seeing his other party members figure out the path allows him to progress. he huffs as he lays the bone fragments in the pile, clearly winded.

"It- It was fun, *huff* guys and gals... Good takin' down dinos with you. I hope I was a good leader, but I... Well. I don't know if I'm cut out for it, really... See you all around."

Terry returns to the hall.

"told you, I ain't good with puzzles" Torald laughs. "It was a fun time, fellow heroes. Now, I'll return to my beloved ale in the Hall."

Ezeran lets out a sigh of relief after the long stroll carrying the bone. "Well that was more of a challenge than I would have thought." The symbiont grins as the side mission is completed." I hope they didn't see you lick that bone..." Ezeran whispers to the symbiont.

Ezeran ponders something. "There seems to be something I'm forgetting..." He takes of the newly found cap and his face lights up. "Ah! This cap seems to have some special properties..." Something in Ezerans eyes starts to emerge, shadows perhaps. As Ezeran starts to chant in an eerie fashion the lights around him starts to fickle and the suns light itself seems to wane for an instant. The symbiont grumbles as Ezeran suddenly stops chanting... "This cap is now imbued with the unholy powers of the dark." *the cap now absorbs darkness*

Ezeran stands up and flexes the joints in his fingers. "Time to head back I think... See you all real soon people!" The symbiont yawns as Ezeran heads back to the hall...

OOC: Big thanks to Flipz for this quest, it was real fun!

Edited by MysticModulus

Boris sets the bone down on the pile, "Sounds good, glad we could be of some help. Was good working with you all." Boris collected his equipment and made for the hall.