Natural_born_user

Liebherr LR11000 probably the world's tallest crawler crane

Hello everybody, Im a new member on eurobricks and I want to share with you my new lego construction.

Probably I finished building the world's tallest crawler crane model with LEGO. The model has already been described by me on my Polish website: naturalbornuser.pl.

This is a representation of Liebherr LR 11000 and measures 700cm height:

naturalbornuser_liebherr_7.jpg

The model is my biggest and heaviest construction. Is higher than my previous model of the crane by 4 meters, was built entirely of original LEGO - except for the line and load within counterweights.

Number of blocks estimate at 15,000, and the weight of the vehicle including counterweights was about 45kg (the weight of the model without counterweights this 22kg). The construction lasted 5 months.

naturalbornuser_liebherr_2.jpg

The model is a representation of the crane Liebherr LR 11000, but the proportions of some dimensions have not been preserved - especially I mean the widened portion rotational located directly on the turntable and this was associated with one of my assumptions about the construction of a specially extended arm and over the turntable. It is of course free standing construction.

naturalbornuser_liebherr_3.jpg

The model was not a collective work, but in order not to expose themselves to voices of opposition on this issue can not ignore people who helped me build:

Invaluable help my brother, without which setting the vertical structure would not be possible:

naturalbornuser_liebherr_18.jpg

At the beginning of the few technical data model:

height - 700cm

tracked chassis length - 78s

the length of the turret - 120s

overall length of the vehicle (not including arms or counterweights) - 167s

the width of a tracked undercarriage - 66s

weight - 22kg (weight of counterweights - 45kg)

Track drive - 2x XL motor with a reduction 1:40

the rotation of the tower - 2x XL engine driving a cart with counterweights (function absent when folding to a maximum of

the rest of the functions of the crane (3 winder) - 6x motor XL two on rewinder (2 XLe to lift the whole arm, 2 XLe to straighten the second section of the arm, 1 XL - winder hook, 1 XL - extra winder for lifting the main arm)

number of cells Track - 210

estimated target number of pieces - 15000

the estimated length of the rope - 100m

Control electronics - 2x tower IR

The only not lego elements are the line and load in counterweights.

As soon as we found the right place to spread vertically crane sat down to prepare it for transportation in short it split up into fragments exceeding 120cm in length and repackage most of them in black foil, which stiffened the long parcels for transport to the hall offering 7.5 - 8 meters distance between the floor and ceiling.

naturalbornuser_liebherr_16.jpg

naturalbornuser_liebherr_15.jpg

Each item has been checked against damage during transport, which could go unnoticed then lead to the weakening and destruction of the whole structure. Then he began to lasting a few hours of the submission process model with ten elements, which has been divided for transport.

naturalbornuser_liebherr_11.jpg

naturalbornuser_liebherr_10.jpg

naturalbornuser_liebherr_9.jpg

About 355cm:

naturalbornuser_liebherr_24.jpg

And 505cm:

naturalbornuser_liebherr_22.jpg

About 700cm:

naturalbornuser_liebherr_30.jpg

After turning the main winders driven by two motors XL by a significant ratio of the winding rope hoists running through heavy arm began to rise until it reached almost vertical.

naturalbornuser_liebherr_29.jpg

Then the second winder finished the whole process and final two-meter section of the arm was in final position:

naturalbornuser_liebherr_41.jpg

naturalbornuser_liebherr_5.jpg

The structure is stable. At the time of publishing this article crane stands in the maximum configuration for five days to move the arms using machines is possible.

When designing the construction arm of my goal was to minimize its weight which resulted in probably slightly on weakening capacity of the structure but with a substantial reduction in total weight allowed for a high altitude.

The construction of most elements of the arm is as follows:

naturalbornuser_liebherr_34.jpg

Elements of a length of 105cm weigh about one kilogram each.

On the other hand, the lowest situated part of the main arm weighs about 1.5 kg and is characterized by a more solid construction:

naturalbornuser_liebherr_33.jpg

Finally, a few images of a tracked chassis.

naturalbornuser_liebherr_35.jpg

naturalbornuser_liebherr_36.jpg

And for more pictures and more information about this MOC you can visit my website.

Edited by Natural_born_user

I can imagine you waking up one day asking yourself a question : "Umm, what model could I build today... well, how about 7 meter crane!" :D This is absolutely incredible and out of range. If you asked me an hour ago, I'd probably bet my shirt that even a crane half of this size wouldn't stand up and hold together. Hard to believe that those those bricks won't break under such stress.

One question - does it really drive? On the picture, it seems to land on some support bricks behind the tracks which makes me doubt whether the tracks can actually hold it. If it does drive, I call it magic :D !

Wow. Did you test the lifting capacity? And did you call the folks at Guinness World Records?

Edited by BusterHaus

G'day. Mate that is huge. Also curious if you have tested it lifting objects. Its an absolutely awesome crane.

Just beautiful... and impressive! I'd also like to know about it's lifting load capacity, but regardless it's a lovely build! :classic:

Impressive. Saw the photos on Brickshelf the other day. Good plan to make the upper sections lighter. Your Quality Assurance is adorable. :classic:

this is amazing !

how are you storing the crane?

the base must be difficult with all that weight, it is a little bent!

now show us it driving along! ;)

amazing work... I'm impressed that regular 1x plates are holding a lot of the structure together! I gather they aren't for primary strength, but would stop the girders flexing/bowing...

As you say, this is indeed the world record holder for tallest Lego crawler lattice crane.

I am a big crane fan, so this creation has great effect on me. Also, your brickshelf folder was one of my favorites.

I really like how it looks from a distance, and that building was a great choice for shoting.

I guess it does not have any lifting capabilities, but the fact it can hold itself is a great achievement.

This is also a proper build for a Hall of Fame, imo.

How is the main mast connected to the superstructure? Surely all that weight isn't resting on one axle (or possibly one each side).

Nice work!

Owen.

Yea..... I bet this won't lift much more than its own weight. ~ 15000 Lego pieces gets pretty heavy. This is an incredible achievement..... thanks for sharing.

This is really impressive! Really good work! As Milan said, it's success that builder achieved 7m long construction that holds itself...

I'm now feeling like a part of history when the tallest Lego crane was build... Really stunning... I like everything on it... :)

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

This is very impressive! I first saw this topic on my phone, and as I was scrolling down I initially thought the model was built using the truss pieces often used in such builds 64448.jpg.

I didn't even notice the guy sitting next to it in the first picture.

Then I scrolled further down, and see the first picture with it next to a car.. with a man on top :wacko: Wow!

Fantastic build! Parts of the truss structure seem a bit flimsy, but I haveno doubt that this was, as you say, a necessary compromise to save weight!

as darth vader would say: impressive, most impressive....... :classic:

This is very impressive! I first saw this topic on my phone, and as I was scrolling down I initially thought the model was built using the truss pieces often used in such builds 64448.jpg.

I didn't even notice the guy sitting next to it in the first picture.

Then I scrolled further down, and see the first picture with it next to a car.. with a man on top :wacko: Wow!

Fantastic build! Parts of the truss structure seem a bit flimsy, but I haveno doubt that this was, as you say, a necessary compromise to save weight!

yup...i thought it was built using those parts as well....the first pic i said, meh....pretty small crane......but then with later pics i found the true scale of this beast!

So yesterday I saw the fully automatic clock and it was my favorite MOC so far this year... Well you have topped that 10 times over with every aspect of your build. Good work!

Thank you for all the answers, I will try to answer all your questions.

krisandkris12 - in time of setting crane to a maximum height crane stands on additional supports as shown in the pictures. Perhaps they are unnecessary but is a lottery and not knowing which one is the weakest link in the chain. Of course, without the support crane is able to ride - When I will have more time I will make videos showing the crane functions including driving on tracks. Of course, with shorter arm.

BusterHaus - have not tested how much the crane lift because my goal was to build the highest structure that can support its own weight. When I will change a vehicle to the size of my room certainly I will check how much arm can raise. It is certainly worth noting that the arm with a length of 505cm is able to maintain itself in a horizontal position.

higgins91 - The crane was transported in parts, arm split into fragments of approximately meter. The arm is at once designed so that it can be easily decompose.

The base is on board with the dimensions 120x60cm rally comes on the back seat of the car.

dr_spock - upper section does not have to be strong, but still flabby construction and so weighs more than I expected because more than 1kg.

RohanBeckett - Also I was not sure at the beginning if such a structure of arm is strong enough. I took a chance and paid off.

Milan - Exactly. The aim was height and not the possibility of raising. One contradicts the other. But looking at the possibility of for example Liebherr LR 13000 Im not sure :)

Captainowie - All main arm is standing on one axle 32s :)