Sign in to follow this  
Murdoch17

Union Pacific diesel - EMD F40PH - A & B units

The engines were Inspired by Facebook user Leonard Blevins' diesel engine, from which I built my own version. I think it looks like a Electro-Motive Division F40PH, which was (in real life) mainly built for Amtrak. Also, the letters BRS go on the side of the cab below the windows on the 3 exposed studs, while the number of the engine (8773 for example,) go on the 4 studs below the windows. Also, I know there is no such thing as a B unit for a F40PH. But since this is pretty much fictional already, I added one.

I colored the engine the way it is to compliment set 60052: Cargo Train. As the engine in the set is freight, this one is passenger based. I even kept the windows the same light blue color, and yellow warning stripes on the cab end to compliment each other. Speaking of the cab, the roof is removable to place the engineer inside at the controls. This also increases play-ability.

21332062241_67b011d8a4_z.jpg

Here we see the F40PH's front. I added safety stripes because they looked nice, and I had some spares I thought would look nice there.

30022.gif

The whole build was inspired by this piece from Leonard Blevins diesel: http://alpha.brickli...age?P=30022#T=C

20702769533_ccc535bdfe_z.jpg

Here is the view inside the cab with the roof removed. (sorry for the blurry picture!) The B unit does not have a removable roof, or interior, for that matter.

21136965389_4a90f3bf92_z.jpg

the rear of the engine features a walkway to the train.

20543947633_01baface75_z.jpg

Here is the fancy sloped rear observation car of the express passenger train. The passenger cars are not yet ordered.

LDD file for the engine by itself: http://www.mocpages.com/user_images/80135/1441300586m.lxf

Well, what do you think?

EDIT: added train cars, new engine and new ldd file. If a MOD could change the title to "F40PH diesels with express passenger train" it would be much appreciated.

EDIT #2: change train color to blue and added new ldd file.

EDIT #3: Added real life pictures!

Edited by Murdoch17

I agree with A Gallifreyan Cat. It does look a tiny bit too sharp. It looks like you can fix that up a bit by replacing the 4x4 tiles with some studded plates, and using a mix of cheese slopes and 1x3slopes should get that out to a nice angle.

Not bad. The nose seems more fitting for a Baldwin RF16 than a F40PH. As stated before, the F40PH noses aren't as angular. Interesting idea on a B unit.

This PDF has an example of F40PH nose using cheese slopes and headlight bricks. http://www.brickpile.com/2015/08/18/updated-brick-geometry-from-bbtb-2015/

Edited by dr_spock

I think the nose slants inward a bit too much. Perhaps the slanted pice you used isn't the perfect one for the job. Other than that, it looks good!

I agree with A Gallifreyan Cat. It does look a tiny bit too sharp. It looks like you can fix that up a bit by replacing the 4x4 tiles with some studded plates, and using a mix of cheese slopes and 1x3slopes should get that out to a nice angle.

Not bad. The nose seems more fitting for a Baldwin RF16 than a F40PH. As stated before, the F40PH noses aren't as angular. Interesting idea on a B unit.

This PDF has an example of F40PH nose using cheese slopes and headlight bricks. http://www.brickpile...from-bbtb-2015/

Thanks everyone for your input. I have considered redoing the nose, but since I have most of the required pieces are already at my disposal, I think I'll keep it that way for now. Sorry to disappoint.

Edited by Murdoch17

I have re-structured and re-typed the entire first post. please see it for more info.

20900520245_fd2c8f2a97_z.jpg

If a MOD could change the title to "F40PH diesels with express passenger train" it would be much appreciated.

I would agree with the others that the engine does not look that much like an F40, but it is still an interesting looking locomotive.

20713744849_4765eab2eb_z.jpg

Here is the fancy sloped rear observation car. (it kinda looks like the Beaver tail observation cars of the Milwaukee Road)

I can see hints of a beavertail, but on those the windows did not wrap around the corners. To me that car looks more like a Turboliner.

I would agree with the others that the engine does not look that much like an F40, but it is still an interesting looking locomotive.

--SNIP--

I can see hints of a beavertail, but on those the windows did not wrap around the corners. To me that car looks more like a Turboliner.

Sorry for the late reply, but I can see now that I was wrong on the beaver tail end coach. I have made changes accordingly, so please see the first post for a picture.

Also, I re-colored the engine the to blue with yellow and black to compliment set 60052: Cargo Train. As the engine in the set is freight, this one is passenger based. I even kept the windows the same light blue color, and yellow warning stripes on the cab end to compliment each other. Speaking of the cab, the roof is removable to place the engineer inside at the controls. This also increases play-ability.

20493755714_535047c66a_z.jpg

here is the front of the newly re-colored loco. I also ordered this engine a while ago. The part orders should be here by next Tuesday, so stay tuned for real pictures!

Edited by Murdoch17

sorry for the double post, but the first post has been updated with real life pictures and an updated LDD file.

21332062241_67b011d8a4_z.jpg

Please see the first post for more details!

Also, could a MOD could please change the topic title to "F40PH diesels with express passenger train"? It would be much appreciated.

Edited by Murdoch17

Looks good in blue and yellow. If you add some more yellow, you can make them look like VIA Rail Canada trains. I'm currently reading a book on VIA Rail and this looks like their early 1980's colour scheme. Do you plan to motorize your creation?