gamejutzu

Ben 10 minifigure scale sets

I couldn't find anywhere else to put this... So yeah.

Would it be a good idea if LEGO released some Ben 10 minifigure scale sets? The only problem I could see is maybe that LEGO has no TV show or movie to accompany the sets, if that's how it works. But if that isn't an issue, then this could be a gold idea.

At first I noticed that Kai's (Ninjago) hairpiece, looks a lot like young Ben's hair... Then this started.

LEGO could release the sets not from one particular series, but all of them, in waves. Like, one wave a year.

How it could work is, aliens are in minifigure form. If that sounds confusing, let me give you a few examples:

• Humongasaur gets a big figure
  • Echo Echo has small legs
  • Four arms is a normal minifigure, but with four arms, like, Garmadon or Samukai.
  • Figures like Diamondhead Could have the large arms (like Dogpound), and a buildable two spikes on it's back.
  • Normal minifigure sized aliens can be Swampfire, Big chill, etc.
  • And Kevin is shiny.

So, what about it? Are there any problems I overlooked? Will LEGO ever consider this?

Will Kevin be shiny?

This probably belongs in the thread Dream LEGO Licenses. They did Ben 10. Not in minifgure scale, but they did it. Given all the different figures Ben could transform into, minifigure scale probably wouldn't be all that great.... some of those creatures had "weird" articulation that wouldn't work in minifugre scale. Some might work with big-figs. I seriously doubt TLG would want to revisit it.

I'm very happy that you're optimistic about Ben 10, gamejutzu, but the original constraction theme was a HUGE flop. The sets were shelf warmers at a price that only the Architecture Seattle Space Needle has managed to use with success.

Ben 10, although it's probably still running, is not exactly the most popular TV show from social media's concerns. Add that to the fact that the initial group of kids that fell in love with the show are now teens and probably don't care anymore doesn't help much either.

Lego got the license several years after the original Ben-10 was relevant, hence the limited success (if it could be called that). Them using the license again would be like if they got the license to Angry Birds six years after being even remotely relevant...

... oh wait.

I'm very happy that you're optimistic about Ben 10, gamejutzu, but the original constraction theme was a HUGE flop. The sets were shelf warmers at a price that only the Architecture Seattle Space Needle has managed to use with success.

Ben 10, although it's probably still running, is not exactly the most popular TV show from social media's concerns. Add that to the fact that the initial group of kids that fell in love with the show are now teens and probably don't care anymore doesn't help much either.

Lego got the license several years after the original Ben-10 was relevant, hence the limited success (if it could be called that). Them using the license again would be like if they got the license to Angry Birds six years after being even remotely relevant...

... oh wait.

Angry Birds is getting a movie in 2016, so it might be irrevelant right now...

This probably belongs in the thread Dream LEGO Licenses. They did Ben 10. Not in minifgure scale, but they did it. Given all the different figures Ben could transform into, minifigure scale probably wouldn't be all that great.... some of those creatures had "weird" articulation that wouldn't work in minifugre scale. Some might work with big-figs. I seriously doubt TLG would want to revisit it.

... oh wait.

Even when they made the buildable figures, I was always saying, "well that's nice, you guys can make the sets now (and they never came)."

You are right. We do need to look at the minifigure anatomy, and how TLG chooses to size their minifigures.

examples:

1.) It's pretty obvious what the standard is for big figures, so I really don't think we need to cover that.

2.) Figures that can pass with short legs include Spongebob and most hobbits. And now we need to compare them to larger characters in their real sources. The hobbits, in the films around the size of a grown man's elbow. Spongebob is around the size of Patrick's eyes. Now, minifigure hobbits are about the size of almost below a full minifigure's eyes as well. Yoda as well.

So I think Echo Echo will work with short legs, since he is even shorter than arm length in the show.

3.) Four-armed minifigures, such as Garmadon, are considerably taller than two-armed minifigures. This will work in Four-arms case. But in order to avoid the arms looking like two plain arms stuck together, the top set of arms include a special mold to go down all the way to the second set of arms. This mold can also show off Four-arms physique by adding a few bumps and such. And in my mind I can see this working, since it can't really be worse than the Dogpound figure.

4.) The only real design problem is the actual minifigure scale figures. But I have a solution; Only make figures that can match a minifigure scale. Unfourtunately, there are very few aliens that can meet a minifigure scale, like Swampfire, who is taller than a regular minifig. But this problem can be somewhat dealt with by making a normal plain head, than over it, a special mold. And if nesessary, a buildable piece on the back, this will not only make the figure more accurate, but also taller than a minifig.

5.) The actual main protagonists are a piece of toast. Ben can have some special molded hair (Alien force), Gwen has a red long ponytail, and Kevin is shiny. Or wooden.

Did it work? Did I persuade you a bit?

Angry Birds is getting a movie in 2016, so it might be irrevelant right now...

Oh, the theme will make money during the movie's release, and when the DVD releases. It's just that, in between those windows, it's likely that it'll just warm the shelves...

Did it work? Did I persuade you a bit?

It's more of a "face the music" situation. The theme is dead. I can't be persuaded, because I never liked the theme, and anything that makes Lego not make money is something that I naturally detest. I feel the same about Galidor.

Now I don't know about others, but I wouldn't get your hopes up...

It's more of a "face the music" situation. The theme is dead. I can't be persuaded, because I never liked the theme, and anything that makes Lego not make money is something that I naturally detest. I feel the same about Galidor.

Now I don't know about others, but I wouldn't get your hopes up...

Okay then, fine. Another question, though. If Lego read my post, and made some sets, would they work? Like would they actually look good, or look like freaks?

Y'know, they could at least put him in Lego Dimensions, where size wouldn't matter, and select aliens with a selection wheel... Sigh..

Edited by gamejutzu

Would it be a good idea if LEGO released some Ben 10 minifigure scale sets? The only problem I could see is maybe that LEGO has no TV show or movie to accompany the sets, if that's how it works. But if that isn't an issue, then this could be a gold idea.

I'm so glad you brought up this topic because as someone who went through the whole "ben 10" flop, as it's an interesting point. Although I like your ideas for a minifig version, as many have pointed out, some of the aliens have very weird connections that probably could not be done at that scale. If we're talking about the original show, for example, how would you do wildmutt? Or xlr8? Both have very unique designs not compatible (so far that i know) with the minifigure scale. I would suggest constraction, but as you know, I don't quite think that that's going to work again.

Not to mention, as other people have been saying, the original generation that grew up with it (my generation, but I don't think I'm that much older than you) have grown up and are now teenagers and adults. So already the demographic is gone.

Now, I'm not usually a debbie-downer, so here's a little "optimism" if it warrants it.... of course there's been news that the show is receiving a reboot (http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/06/08/ben-10-reboot-coming-to-cartoon-network , though no surprise considering how w**red out the once-great Man of Action is), so it may be possible that LEGO will re-launch Ben 10 at the minifigure scale. Though even if they did I would never buy it. Can't beat the original, and you never will. Sadly Man of Idiocy-er, I mean "Action" will never understand that.

I'm so glad you brought up this topic because as someone who went through the whole "ben 10" flop, as it's an interesting point. Although I like your ideas for a minifig version, as many have pointed out, some of the aliens have very weird connections that probably could not be done at that scale. If we're talking about the original show, for example, how would you do wildmutt? Or xlr8? Both have very unique designs not compatible (so far that i know) with the minifigure scale. I would suggest constraction, but as you know, I don't quite think that that's going to work again.

Not to mention, as other people have been saying, the original generation that grew up with it (my generation, but I don't think I'm that much older than you) have grown up and are now teenagers and adults. So already the demographic is gone.

Now, I'm not usually a debbie-downer, so here's a little "optimism" if it warrants it.... of course there's been news that the show is receiving a reboot (http://ca.ign.com/ar...cartoon-network , though no surprise considering how w**red out the once-great Man of Action is), so it may be possible that LEGO will re-launch Ben 10 at the minifigure scale. Though even if they did I would never buy it. Can't beat the original, and you never will. Sadly Man of Idiocy-er, I mean "Action" will never understand that.

Augh! my eyes! Why did you show me that?! I thought we were friends!

Seriously though, if Lego is seriously planning on making a minifigure of that, i'd rather there not be sets at all. For those that did not click, do it at your own risk.

With that out of the way, if Lego would be willing to go back and make the originals, You would be right on how Lego would make figures of certain aliens. If the only solution is to make an exclusive body (like for Xlr8 and Wildmutt), I think that the simple solution is to not make these aliens minifigure scale at all. Only make ones that have an appearance of a humanoid, like Fourarms, Swampfire, Big chill, Echo Echo, and Humougasaur.

Yeah, I kinda do have to face the music now huh... This will probably never happen...

But it isn't too late to put him in Lego Dimensions, where the appearance of the alien will not matter.

Edited by gamejutzu

Petition for Ben 10 in Lego dimensions!

Nah, whatever.

But, c'mon! At least Ben himself! I'm pretty sure they could at least make a minifig...