Continue updating :blush:

img_1505.jpg

img_1506.jpg

Almost finished the front chassis and driving part. And yes, it will be a 4WD version, "all 4", per MINI's naming :wink: .

But I chose a little weird driving configuration:

By default, it is FWD, when the driving ring engages with the central diff, it becomes AWD but without the central diff.

The odd thing you may notice to the right of the diff is a mock L motor. :laugh:

img_1510.jpg

img_1516.jpg

I corrected the proportion by widen the whole thing by 2L and stretch the hood by 1L.

Also, I took Jeroen's advice on the wheel arc, I think it looks way more better than the previous version :grin: .

img_1518.jpg

The upper part of dashboard is done, it features adjustable steering wheel as well as a speed needle in the speedo.

Real interior for comparison:

2011-mini-countryman-interior.jpg

img_1520.jpg

img_1521.jpg

How do you think? Suggestions are always welcomed! :blush:

Edited by falconluan

That is coming along really nice.

I like the front suspension, and some nice details on the bodywork.

Thanks and the suspension is 100% credits to sir Nicjasno :grin:

Your making good progress :thumbup: I really like you dashboard design. The only thing I can complain about is the hood is not flat enough.

Continue updating:

img_1600.jpg

Finally finished the rear axle and got a rolling chassis.

img_1603.jpg

A closer look at the rear axle.

img_1601.jpg

img_1607.jpg

The front is almost done. I'm not pleased with the fog light part though.

img_1608.jpg

It's time for the rear part of the car now and I think the rear is a bit harder to make than the front...

img_1605.jpg

img_1609.jpg

The overall look of the car right now. This scale MOC is really too heavy, a lot things left uninstalled and the car is already very heavy...

There are still a lot things needs to be done:

4 seats

side skirt

rear bumper

sunroof

fake engine

That's all for today and hope you like it. Please leave your comments :blush:

Nice work getting the shape of the car. It's fun to watch the evolution of this project. The rear fenders and front running boards move with the doors unlike the car (unless I'm mistaken?), was this done to achieve the shape or to make it stronger? The shape looks great, but that rear fender sticks out quite a bit.

Will you get rid of the color jungle?

Yes, I'll build a red body/black roof version when all the designs settled.

Nice work getting the shape of the car. It's fun to watch the evolution of this project. The rear fenders and front running boards move with the doors unlike the car (unless I'm mistaken?), was this done to achieve the shape or to make it stronger? The shape looks great, but that rear fender sticks out quite a bit.

Thanks. The front part of rear fenders are on the rear door like the real car.

The "front running boards" you meant actually are the curve on the door, sorry about the poor implemention. I used a 5/6# panel for that part in the beginning,

as you can see in the pics at the first page, however, changed them into beams later.

Good progress!

It is really nice to see the car evolving over the weeks :classic:

One option to consider maybe: What if you put the 7x3 panel above the rearwheel facing backwards and upside down? That way the horizontal line below the windows stays intact. It does require the panel to be tilted as well to follow the curve of the 11x3 panels, I'm not sure if you have the space for that.

Good progress!

It is really nice to see the car evolving over the weeks :classic:

One option to consider maybe: What if you put the 7x3 panel above the rearwheel facing backwards and upside down? That way the horizontal line below the windows stays intact. It does require the panel to be tilted as well to follow the curve of the 11x3 panels, I'm not sure if you have the space for that.

Thanks Jeroen again for another good suggestion!

I put the panel facing backwards, but instead of upside down, I put it upside up :wink:. By putting it this way, I can put another 7x3 panel above it. Pics are better than talking I think, :wink:

img_1615.jpg

img_1612.jpg

img_1613.jpg

There is some gap between the 2 panels, I think I can take it :laugh:. What do you think?

Edited by falconluan

Thanks Jeroen again for another good suggestion!

I put the panel facing backwards, but instead upside down, I put it upside up :wink:. By putting it this way, I can put another 7x3 panel above it. Pics are better that talk I think, :wink:

There is some gap between the 2 panels, I think I can take it :laugh:. What do you think?

Yep, that works :thumbup:

Hi,all,

Having been busy for the past weeks... But finally, here are some updates:

I started building the final version and making photo instructions at the meantime :blush:

I know this kind of car is not popular here (We all love super cars...), still, I'll get the instructions done, it's my first time, and I think it's rather interesting :laugh:

img_1926.jpg

I spent nearly a whole day and now the unibody is almost finished, obviously, not including the roof, I need BL some panels...

As described at the start, the building is modular, and I tried to represent the making process of real cars.

I kept updating the part list while taking photos, and it adds up to about 540 parts now(without the roof), I think it may end up to 2000 parts or so.

img_1927.jpg

The final version and the beta one side by side for comparison.

Thanks for watching and hope you like it.

Great work! It is so interesting to see this car taking shape gradually. Obviously, This is not a light one. How does it drive at different speeds?

Obviously, This is not a light one. How does it drive at different speeds?

In fact, I don't know either :grin:

Thanks to Sariel's gear box design, the friction of the whole transmission path is not much, so hopefully it can use all the 4 gears.

Will test that out this week and keep you updated :wink:

Again, some updating:

img_2121.jpg

img_2119.jpg

The rear of the body is finally done :blush: . Still waiting for the ordered panels so the roof is temporary white at present.

img_2120.jpg

Also, did some more driving test and found that the CV joints are too weak and they popped out easily when stressed.

Having replaced those with 3L universal joints on the rear axle, but I still need to fix the front axle :devil:

img_1395.jpg

Thanks for watching and your advises are very welcomed.

Wow!!! That looks just amazing :wub: It get's better with every iteration.

I love the colourscheme. Please keep the roof white (you mention it is temporary white), it shows the lines so much better than a black roof can.

One tiny nitpicking detail: do you plan to substitute the row of 16T gears with something else (I just don't like this solution for translating a rotation input)?

Other than that it is just great. :thumbup:

How is the stiffness of the structure? Does it have longitudinal torsion stiffness?

Thanks a lot for your caring about this project :thumbup:

I love the colourscheme. Please keep the roof white (you mention it is temporary white), it shows the lines so much better than a black roof can.

I think I can make one white and one black roof then. :wink:

One tiny nitpicking detail: do you plan to substitute the row of 16T gears with something else (I just don't like this solution for translating a rotation input)?

I don't like that part either... Put some detail of that part below maybe you can help me figure out a better way :classic:

img_2137.jpg

img_2136.jpg

How is the stiffness of the structure? Does it have longitudinal torsion stiffness?

The longitudinal torsion stiffness is good enough for me I think, the rear side skirt part is a little wobbly when twisted intentionally though.

Such nice progress.. i love how you made the suspension as realistic as possible. I really really like it!

:wub: :wub: :wub: Beautiful! I agree with Jeroen Ottens with keeping the roof white

2011-Mini-Cooper-S-Countryman-front-three-quarters.jpg

Will look something like this..... With red.

Such nice progress.. i love how you made the suspension as realistic as possible. I really really like it!

Thanks, glad you like it

:wub: :wub: :wub: Beautiful! I agree with Jeroen Ottens with keeping the roof white

Will look something like this..... With red.

Looks like the white roof is a little more popular here, advises taken! :laugh:

Thanks a lot for your caring about this project :thumbup:

I think I can make one white and one black roof then. :wink:

I don't like that part either... Put some detail of that part below maybe you can help me figure out a better way :classic:

Hmm, that's not easy, I can see why went with this solution...

The only way I can think of is to remove the T-beam, place a 20T bevel gear instead and connect using another bevelgear (if a 36T fits that nicely centers it with the driveshaft I think). But you will have to take care with the bracing. (OTOH the torque needed to turn a fakeengine is very limited so you don't need a 9398 drivechain-like bracing)

Hmm, that's not easy, I can see why went with this solution...

The only way I can think of is to remove the T-beam, place a 20T bevel gear instead and connect using another bevelgear (if a 36T fits that nicely centers it with the driveshaft I think). But you will have to take care with the bracing. (OTOH the torque needed to turn a fakeengine is very limited so you don't need a 9398 drivechain-like bracing)

I understand what you mean and will give it a try later :wink:

Before that, I got the dashboard done:

img_2183.jpg

img_2184.jpg

Adjustable steering wheel angle, please note the turning signal stick :grin:

img_2174.jpg

img_2180.jpg

openable glove box

Thanks for watching :blush: