MTM

[MOC] scrapyard in autumn

Hi guys and girls.

Here I will show you a diorama built in autumn 2014: a scrapyard.

User Taz35 asked me in the thread of my "level crossing - 33 degrees", if I could show my other modules. So I will do this. But this place isn't built in my modular train standard, call LEN, because it was designed months before the standard grow up.

DSCN6200.JPG

In model train communities there is the opinion, that railroads shouldn't drive exaktly parallel to the table edge. So I decide to build a diagonally train track and so the whole place developed also diagonally. In the pick-a-brick wall in lego store leipzig I found a lot of wedge plates. So the idea to build this was born:

DSCN6066.JPG

The scrapyard is designed so, that all side are front sides. There's no back. So observers can take a look at all side into the yard.

At the first side, you can see a sidewalk and the huge metal fence (it's in old dark gray). Also you can see a little family with a dog. (and this dog made a doggy do :).

DSCN6140.JPG

At the second side you can see a wall and a lot of plants. Also you can see the sign of the german forum 1000steine.de. There I showed this scrapyard in octobre last year and it gaves me the third place of best mocs in this month.

4318-1440035523.jpg

At the third side you can see old tires and containers with a lot of scrap, mostly bionicle and other things inmetallic colors . Also you can see at the left side the biggest tree at this diorama and the huge crane. It's the first version of it and nearly closed to the crane in set 6541, but this one is a little bigger.

DSCN6114.JPG

And at the last side you can see the little bureau and the entrance for cars and buyers.

DSCN6135.JPG

There are a lot of details you can found, like the scrap collectors and the scathing watchdog. But I think, it's better, if I show you some pictures without any comments:

DSCN6121.JPGDSCN6147.JPGDSCN6129.JPGDSCN6117.JPGDSCN6153.JPGDSCN6203.JPGDSCN6205.JPGDSCN6206.JPGDSCN6207.JPG

A very important part is the track-ending sign (called "Schutzhaltesignal sh_2" in german) at the gate. It's really a original lego part, but it's very very rarely. It's included in set 4306 produced in 1980. Normally it's a part of human girls rings and certainly the most uninteressting part in this set. Today you can't buy it at bricklink. I don't know, why it is so rarely.

4318-1440037075.jpg

I hope you're enjoyed about this weird moc.

MTM

Edited by MTM

Building the tracks diagonally like this makes everything feel so much more natural. Too bad it's so parts-intensive and hard to get ten people to do it for an exhibition...

I just now noticed the birdhouse on the back side of the tree. That's a clever detail that's sealed the deal for me: this is an amazing build!

It looks great! I love the grimey, well-used look you've achieved here. It looks so like a junk yard. And it's full of some lovely details.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Simply a stunning MOC with all sorts of great touches- the fence, the washing machine made out of the rotation brick, the books on the shelf out of profile bricks, the tree, the mix of classic bits in the scrap piles. I have but one minor quibble that is easily fixed- for this scene you should replace the tank car with a gondola car.

Dear zephyr,

@tankcar / gondola: That's right. Normally. A tankcar isn't any help at this place. But in the originally text at 1000steine.de and in my own blog was wrote (in german):

This tankcar waits for his scrapping. But here I forgot this part. Because that there's a tankcar. In the first pictures you can see a short open wagon.

I'm happy, that you see the details. I like the washing maschine too. This idea is many years old, but there was no place to show it before the scrapyard.

MTM

Edited by MTM

Great work! (sorry for bumping an old thread, but I thought I deserved it :D)

Wow excellent work and a great challenge to have your tracks on an angle. Nice scrapyard. Great work and thanks for sharing!