Rick

10249 Winter Toy Shop

I think when TLG ends something, it just ends. They don't throw a party and often don't let the public know it's about to happen.

With all the other small holiday sets and this rerelease, obviously TLG believes a market exists to support such sets.

The way it's presented has already changed by the dropping of the winter village theme. And we may see other changes including the frequency the sets are released. I do imagine we will see further such sets in the future.

I would rather LEGO just end the theme. "Updates" will only annoy loyal fans.

Maybe, in the sense of trying to have a complete collection... But as a fan I see more upside than downside (particularly based on the leading theory that it didn't replace a new WV set).

I was ecstatic when they updated the UCS X-Wing a couple of years ago... I'm sure many fans will be ecstatic if they update the UCS MF as well

Nah, come on.. Lego can come up with more nice buildings than 10.... ??

Sure they can! I wasn't suggesting they stop doing new modulars altogether. But an updated version of the Café Corner might be a nice thing to do as a one-off thing for the 10-year anniversary, to celebrate how far the series has come. After that they could obviously go back to doing new buildings (maybe returning to update the Market Street once the series hits the big two-oh).

But this isn't a re-release, just like the X-Wing UCS set wasn't a re-release. Things are definitely different, just not enough to make fans who own the first copy to jump up and down for joy. But they are different products and people who didn't get it the first time around, I can understand why they would be happy.

I certainly didn't have the first UCS X-Wing and I did end up picking up this second version, but I wasn't dying to have one. I just got it because it looked neat in the LEGO store. If they re-released Cafe Corner, they certainly would change it ever so slightly and I would pick one up since I didn't get it the first time around, but at the same time, I don't find that to be that great of a set either (blasphemy I know).

With the larger audience now, it is possible LEGO sees the market to add in a few other sets that are basically the same version. Their research might show better numbers than what we are thinking there actually is.

I am excited about the new version of the Toy Shop. I didn't get any of the Winter Village sets when they were out, though I eyed them longingly. The people who already have this set should be happy as they will now have some extra money in their pockets for other Lego deals. If TLG re-makes the Cafe Corner I would get that too! I believe they would add an interior in a remake. :wub:

I think some of us on the forums have just proven there is indeed a market for remakes of sets. I wouldn't be harsh with TLG for their choice this year. It can be hard to keep up with all the releases.

What a disappointment. Oh well, less money to spend this year…

Steve

My disappointment isn't so much that they re-released an almost identical set to the Toy Shop but more that they didn't release something I didn't have. I glad for all you guys that missed out when it was originally available but I can't bring myself to buy something that I (mostly) already have when my LEGO budget is limited.

Im ready for leaked images or rumors of the 2016 modular and minifigure series 15. Im ready like now.

Everyone is! We'll be getting descriptions for everything throughout the week, someone on here has the catalog! :grin:

Everyone is! We'll be getting descriptions for everything throughout the week, someone on here has the catalog! :grin:

I hope they share the news fast. :sweet:

My body is ready!

Why some people get sooo butthurt over it is beyond me.

I collect for me, for my own enjoyment, not so I have something someone else doesn't. If that is part of your enjoyment of the hobby, that you have something that someone else doesn't... Well, that's a not very nice side to you, and it's best to keep it to yourself.

yes!

A re-release as such is not necessarily taboo but it is a real pity if that has come instead of a fresh new product. Spoiling for many loyal fans the enchantment and tradition of the Winter Village series.

Edited by TheLegGodt

If you agree, follow suit. Help get the message across. TLG is great, but not this time.

It's done. They won't change it.

As someone said, they are relaunching the line under a new name. But I don't think they will rehash the entire line-up so next year's is likely to be a new set

As much as I think it's a dumb idea to re-release this set instead of a new one (or re-releasing a different set), I can't find myself able to rate it one star because, as a set itself, it certainly warrants more than that. I won't $#@ up ratings just because I think the release of the set itself was dumb, and I really don't like when people take that approach, honestly.

IOW, if someone who kids are just getting into LEGO goes and reads those reviews, they should get an honest review of the set, and not a review based on politics.

As much as I think it's a dumb idea to re-release this set instead of a new one (or re-releasing a different set), I can't find myself able to rate it one star because, as a set itself, it certainly warrants more than that. I won't $#@ up ratings just because I think the release of the set itself was dumb, and I really don't like when people take that approach, honestly.

IOW, if someone who kids are just getting into LEGO goes and reads those reviews, they should get an honest review of the set, and not a review based on politics.

I generally agree that a review should be balanced and objective.

I REALLY do hope that TLG gets the point that we don't mind re-releases as an extra, but NOT instead of new sets. Especially not when people come to count on it as part of a holiday ritual. If they want to stop the series, OK. That is their business decision.

Someone mentioned the idea of a Classics Line. Now that would be fantastic, and I say that as a collector who has already paid top bill to acquire sets such as the Taj Mahal and MF. Even if that means I paid too much, the value is still the same to me - if not more! I mean, they are for building and displaying anyhow, not for reselling.

Edited by TheLegGodt

This thread has deteriorated to the point of uselessness. Just more rants. I normally don't post like this but I can see no use for this thread to continue.

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy D

Maybe we can use it to spot the differences?

I see besides the clear chance in colour of the technic parts and the useof lifesavers, that the roof now has a hingepart underneath. So the build should be differant and maybe less fragile?

I see that there are a FEW minor improvements, but overall it's a obvious copy paste. I already own the first winter village toy shop and have all, but one of the winter kits. This year is a SORE DISAPPOINTMENT. I'm quite displeased with TLG. I know I musn't be the only one with this opinion.

I'm kind of disappointed as I was excited to see what new WV set this year would bring after having got every set previous for my girlfriend. But, at the same time, I am happy for those that will have a chance to get this after not getting it the first time around.

I just don't get the whole 'collectible' thing around Lego. Being a hobby doesn't change the meaning of 'collectible'.

Every single piece of lego produced, every single set is a 'collectible', as people... collect it.

That doesn't mean that particular product should never be made ever again so that those 'collectors' can rejoice how they have something that time/circumstances prevented someone else from getting back then.

It simply means it is something made for someone to enjoy that people might start collecting other types of that hobby item (Lego in this case).

Having a 'collection' doesn't imply having every item that is rare. Limited Edition is where something should not be reproduced again, and should be the rare item you want to obtain.

It simply means a group of stuff.

Why some people get sooo butthurt over it is beyond me.

I collect for me, for my own enjoyment, not so I have something someone else doesn't. If that is part of your enjoyment of the hobby, that you have something that someone else doesn't... Well, that's a not very nice side to you, and it's best to keep it to yourself.

But that's a big part of the fun of collecting. Meeting new people and showing off what you have that they don't, not as a "haha, you don't have it & I do" thing, but a mutual excitement for the hobby. I guess that's just me.

im hoping theyve improved the build of the tree, especially the base area. my builds are left constructed year round and then get used in a public display each year. the tree is one thing i have to repair every single time. the roofs are also a pain, they drop off so easily.

Right, I'm also hoping the tree and roof is improved! One thing I noticed that I thought was a little odd- the swapped the color on the awning. Instead of white-red-white-red, it's the opposite. Pretty minor and doesn't really "enhance" the build any, but I kinda like that it makes it look a little bit more distinct if you do get it and place it near the original one.

ive just had a tidy and minor rebuild of my winter village pieces and managed to strengthen the tree even more than i had it before.

ive removed the original base [the red led pieces] and mounted it on a small plate. on the central rod, ive slipped two of those round 4x4 and then over the top slipped one of the yellow cones from the ultra agents helicopter set. then ive put all that on a larger round plate and finally onto the base plate. i can now pick the plate up anywhere and it stays together. given how successful that has been, ive put aside the same pieces for the tree in this set, just in case. the cone looks a bit like a tree skirt. pity its yellow, but doesnt look too ugly.

after having a bit of play with things, im now more interested in this set. who doesnt love more toys to put under the tree, or a larger carol group? im not sure if a mirror build would work now, due to how far out the roof sticks. they wouldnt be able to fully butt up together. may still do it and use them as end pieces, with the other shops in between.