Rick

10249 Winter Toy Shop

This is pretty simple. If you like/defend TLGs rerelease of this set, it's justified solely by virtue of the fact that they did it.

I can't argue with that. But, gee, I'd love to be held to that standard in my life.

I wonder if they forgot to design a set for this year :laugh:

If LEGO would use this concept to re-release more classics, I would be *very* pleased.

Is the Toy Shop a classic?

It's fascinating.

Looking at the comments, more or less it seems like people are in agreement that a totally new wv set would've been preferable.

But how many people think that tlg are in the business of making bad decisions? I don't know whether or not this set is the optimal thing to have done, but it probably was based on the data tlg would have at the time that decisions have to be made.

i mean if that isn't the case what would it be?

They wanted ot piss off collectors?

They couldn't be stuffed to come up with a new design?

They were worried people hadn't gotten a set that relatively speaking hadn't been retired that long ago?

All of those explanations seem unlikely to me... The one regarding using data available to their business to make calculated choices does seem more likely.

Like most i hope for re-releases of old sets, particular the first city modulars and the really old ucs level star wars sets... Well lets hope that J.J put star destroyers and snow speeders as well as the MF in the new movie ;)

Edited by Alternator

Let me explain why I think this set as a re-release is bad. These sets are pretty much supposed to be collectible - they released one new one every year - and it's not a new concept, there are a lot of Christmas "series" out there from other places (like ceramic villages) where one or two new pieces are added every year - even Barbie has a holiday release every year (or used to - I don't really follow Barbie, but my niece got the new one every year).

You can argue that LEGO is not supposed to be "collectible," except when they release minifigures as "collectible..." So TLG DOES recognize the collectibility of some things.(*) It's just part of ANY hobby. It's just how it is.

This.

Rereleasing it doesn't affect the collectibility, though. If anything, it makes it more collectible, since it's easier to collect. :p The problem is that you're using the wrong definition of "collectible".

These sets were never intended to be "rare" or whatever; they were limited, yes, but in the sense of being seasonally available, like Christmas trees, Santa ornaments or Pumpkin Spice Frappuccinos. The idea these were ever intended as trophies for those elite few who are able to get everything right away and then lord it over the poor teeming unwashed masses is refuted by the fact they released each of the first two or three sets for three consecutive years each (the original Winter Toy Shop was released in 2009, and rereleased in both 2010 and 2011; the Winter Village Bakery was made available in 2010, 2011, and 2012, etc.). These are sets for "everyone" (that is, at least as many people as LEGO is able to sell them to).

That said, I will agree with your point that one shouldn't count on a set being rereleased, and to just be happy if one is.

Comparing WV releases to a seasonal coffee? That's...odd. And, I'm not a collector of Christmas ornaments, but I have no doubt they release ones each year that aren't to be seen again. That's what collecting is all about. There will always be people who missed things.

People had 3 years in a row to buy this, so there was plenty enough opportunity.

This.

Comparing WV releases to a seasonal coffee? That's...odd. And, I'm not a collector of Christmas ornaments, but I have no doubt they release ones each year that aren't to be seen again. That's what collecting is all about. There will always be people who missed things.

People had 3 years in a row to buy this, so there was plenty enough opportunity.

I was comparing them to various seasonal things, to emphasize the fact that they're, y'know, seasonal, which is the extent to which they're "limited". That's all.

And that might be what "collecting" is all about, but "collecting in that sense isn't necessarily what the Winter Village line was about, which was my main point.

If they ran out of ideas for the Christmas sets, maybe they should try releasing Halloween sets with people wearing costumes, houses with spooky decorations and a Costume shop

If they ran out of ideas for the Christmas sets, maybe they should try releasing Halloween sets with people wearing costumes, houses with spooky decorations and a Costume shop

Have you noticed that the green rail garlands look like scary eyes on the new Toy Shop? Probably not hard to convert it to a little shop of horror. :classic:

I thought at first that I would end up getting this even though I already have the original version...but upon further reflection I think I'll skip it. I might see if the new carolers turn up on Bricklink for a reasonable price, but that's all. The photos of the new toy mini-builds should be sufficient for me to build them out of my existing collection.

When it comes to new holiday scenery this year, I'll focus on MOCing a gingerbread house and/or Snow Queen's Grotto.

This has to be the funniest thread I have read on EB...is it a rehash, sure, but it almost sounds like some live and die to be able to get that new WV set. This is a toy folks, your lives will go on. As a huge fan of the Architecture series, this isn't any worse than that, trust me. Sure you get a couple new sets a year, but even those are half finished in total...the Louvre coming out has the pyramid and a bit of the building, not even the full thing.

Would I have been more pleased with something else in the WV line, sure, but I am just dumbfounded that people are really that mad over a toy. Just use your funds to get something else. I am sure there is going to be stuff coming out that people will want to buy.

This has to be the funniest thread I have read on EB...is it a rehash, sure, but it almost sounds like some live and die to be able to get that new WV set. This is a toy folks, your lives will go on. As a huge fan of the Architecture series, this isn't any worse than that, trust me. Sure you get a couple new sets a year, but even those are half finished in total...the Louvre coming out has the pyramid and a bit of the building, not even the full thing.

Would I have been more pleased with something else in the WV line, sure, but I am just dumbfounded that people are really that mad over a toy. Just use your funds to get something else. I am sure there is going to be stuff coming out that people will want to buy.

I would not be dignified to put in words what I think about your 'it's just a toy' observation but I would add that your comments about the Architcture line is exactly why I have never bothered with it.

The WV line started off really strong (ironicly with this very set being discussed) and basically lost it's way ever since the WV Market came out 2 years ago. What I think most AFOLs want to express here is that rehashing sets that serious collectors and fans alike enjoy is not a practice we wish to see continued by TLG. We hope they are reading this and take notice!

This is pretty simple. If you like/defend TLGs rerelease of this set, it's justified solely by virtue of the fact that they did it.

People know your position on this issue by now. As you've been told on several other occassions before, there's no need to keep reiterating it after every poster who disagrees with you.

Anyway, on-topic: TLG marketed last year's release, Santa's Workshop, as an "addition to the Winter Village series", whereas 2013's Winter Village Market "continued" the Winter Village series. Moreover, Santa's Workshop was the first to not have "Winter Village" in the name. If I recall correctly, they added "Winter Village" to 10199's name when the second Winter Village building came out. If you look at this year's re-release, they have not labelled it "Winter Village Toy Shop" but "Winter Toy Shop" instead. To me, it's another indication that TLG discontinued the Winter Village series last year.

Well I always thought that this was the second most popular none licensed them after the Modular's. So yes very disappointed if they kill it!

I thought the cottage was a little to big or should have been a 3 in 1 build....

and Santa's Workshop was sadly to small, but will make an excellent train station wit a little modding.

But anyway I saved €70 I can spend on something not Lego.......

Disappointed :(

As an avid collector and builder of the WV series my only choice is to give this years set a miss or buy it in the hope of selling my old one. I (like anyone else who has the full set) has hundreds of pounds invested in it and whilst it's not about the money it's always nice to know your LEGO is holding it's value should you wish to sell. With this "update" being virtually identical the original set has probably dropped in value.

I would rather LEGO just end the theme. "Updates" will only annoy loyal fans.

Edited by colmoore

People know your position on this issue by now. As you've been told on several other occassions before, there's no need to keep reiterating it after every poster who disagrees with you.

Anyway, on-topic: TLG marketed last year's release, Santa's Workshop, as an "addition to the Winter Village series", whereas 2013's Winter Village Market "continued" the Winter Village series. Moreover, Santa's Workshop was the first to not have "Winter Village" in the name. If I recall correctly, they added "Winter Village" to 10199's name when the second Winter Village building came out. If you look at this year's re-release, they have not labelled it "Winter Village Toy Shop" but "Winter Toy Shop" instead. To me, it's another indication that TLG discontinued the Winter Village series last year.

Right you are! Again! So, I'll impose another 90 day suspension (make it longer if you like) on myself since I appear to be your singular problem. Oh, I don't know how life will go on! Life without a toy forum! Logging off! Out!

They would have known shortly after last years release how demand was trending. So, they'd have almost a year to put together something new. Making a box, an instruction book and using less that 900 existing parts isn't all that complicated. But, I welcome the rerelease even though I have the original.

Let's not make manufacturing a set the size of a WV set with existing parts sound like it's all that complex. It ain't.

Next Lego apologist, your turn.

Try to watch one of the documentaries or even read an article concerning the production cycle of LEGO, then come back and support the claim above.

And like someone else said: we really don't have anything to "apologize" for.

It is kinda funny. I've never really considered buying the WV sets, as I just came back from the dark ages earlier this year. Now that the toy shop is there, I'm really considering buying this set, to supplement my wifes Christmas decorations aorund the house. The kids will love this :-D

I know that Lego says they do not plan to re-release sets but we have seen it a couple times recently between this and the Lego Technic Race truck. The technic set was actually identical to the set that came out in 2010 (8041 vs 42041).

I have to wonder with the huge growth in Lego popularity the last couple years because of the Lego movie if we might not see more of this in the future. Lego is as mainstream as it has ever been right now and with the insane amount of new fans both old and young you have to consider that releasing older sets with a few tweaks here and there could be a huge profit gain for the company. They spend less money on design, testing, and everything else that goes into a new set while getting both new fans and even old to buy the sets. I am not saying this is what will happen but its not like toy companies have not been releasing the same thing for years with tweaked looks. I know that to most all of us on this site we look at sets as a collectible but that is not what Lego is in business for they are a toy company and if releasing an older set will make them more money and get more people hooked on buying more that is what they will do. I mean most of the people on here have said they will just use their WV money on another set so Lego still wins even if you don't buy this toy shop.

If they really were killing off the WV sets which seems to be a solid theory this would be a really easy way to see if all the new lego fans are interested in older sets that have since retired. Maybe all the new Lego fans out there go nuts over this toy shop and they see that its worth bringing back the series.

Edited by shaggysanchez

THE BURST OF THE ALTERNATIVE LEGO MARKET BUBBLE!!!

Oh my gosh!!! I have a sealed Cafe Corner that I was waiting to pay my mortgage with it!!!!!

But I can also buy the release of the classic space!!!!

Disappointed :(

As an avid collector and builder of the WV series my only choice is to give this years set a miss or buy it in the hope of selling my old one. I (like anyone else who has the full set) has hundreds of pounds invested in it and whilst it's not about the money it's always nice to know your LEGO is holding it's value should you wish to sell. With this "update" being virtually identical the original set has probably dropped in value.

The update isn't identical, and the ways in which it's not make it arguably superior (and it will likely also be rarer, as I doubt they will reissue this next year and the year after that as they did with 10199). If anything, then, this new one ought to go for a better price on the secondary market eventually, though the first one may have an advantage simply by virtue of being first (and kicking off the whole line).

(Not that investment value is or should be the most important consideration with LEGO sets, of course, but it is for some, I know.)

I'm kind of disappointed as I was excited to see what new WV set this year would bring after having got every set previous for my girlfriend. But, at the same time, I am happy for those that will have a chance to get this after not getting it the first time around.

I just don't get the whole 'collectible' thing around Lego. Being a hobby doesn't change the meaning of 'collectible'.

Every single piece of lego produced, every single set is a 'collectible', as people... collect it.

That doesn't mean that particular product should never be made ever again so that those 'collectors' can rejoice how they have something that time/circumstances prevented someone else from getting back then.

It simply means it is something made for someone to enjoy that people might start collecting other types of that hobby item (Lego in this case).

Having a 'collection' doesn't imply having every item that is rare. Limited Edition is where something should not be reproduced again, and should be the rare item you want to obtain.

It simply means a group of stuff.

Why some people get sooo butthurt over it is beyond me.

I collect for me, for my own enjoyment, not so I have something someone else doesn't. If that is part of your enjoyment of the hobby, that you have something that someone else doesn't... Well, that's a not very nice side to you, and it's best to keep it to yourself.

Edited by Fuppylodders

I know that to most all of us on this site we look at sets as a collectible

Really? In the sense that others were using the word "collectible"? If so, I don't know that that's thr case.

Look, with new hat!

The set is a re-hash and everyone I've talked to mentioned how upset they were. However, they also all mentioned they planned on buying one or two to MOD...so even if they are upset, the set will still be a success, plus all of the people who didn't get a chance to get it. I'd say LEGO knows what they are doing whether we like it or not.

I'm hesitant to spend 80 on a set I already have, but I'd like to MOD something too for our LUG's winter village.

My, my, aren't we dramatic. I think if TLG re-releasing a Winter Village set is the worst thing that happens to you this year, you're having a pretty good year. I mean, I understand being disappointed if you have the previous version, but to talk about how FURIOUS this makes you, and how this is a knife in the back/slap in the face/first harbinger of the Apocalypse is just a little excessive IMO.

It works out well for me, since I never did get the Toy Shop. I do hope the Winter Village continues. Hopefully it comes back big nect year with something that amazes long-term fans and newcomers alike, and no one will feel like they've been slapped in the face with a knife in the back again.

I don't know about that. I've said it before, but this feels like a closure to the theme. It was the first WV set, which I think has some sort of significance. If it was the Bakery or Post Office, I wouldn't worry, but to reissue the first set seems like some sort of sendoff.