Rick

10249 Winter Toy Shop

Honestly speaking - how many WV sets do you need? These six released by now are quite enough. They're taking a lot of space, time for building etc.

You have little Christmas sets - it's enough to refresh your buildings. It's like a Christmas tree - old ornaments with new additions.

Some people have more space and want a big village, others want to randomize each year.

So deciding each year what to build is a tradition for some.

And for the christmas tree it's just the same, I can't put all my ornaments in the tree but rather decide each year new how it should look like.

That's the fun part, at least for me...

even though i have the original, i will likely pick this one up and try to "mirror build" so the two can butt up to each other, but only one will be a toy shop. the other will be, i dont know what yet! i use these in a model train layout, so maybe this one can be a model supply store? though how to make that obvious i dont know yet. might try and write something with the round 1x1 translucents on the roof or similar.

not sure what to do with the second tree. those pieces might end up in with the general lego.

Thank you very much for the press release, Rick! :classic:

I'm with the majority here: HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

This is the second year that I don't buy the Winter Village set.

It's really disappointing how TLG kills this great theme! The first four years there had been amazing sets - toy shop, bakery, post office and hut. Already the winter market was not that awesome since the stalls were too small, there was no stand selling hot drinks and even no building included. But the death blow for the WV theme came last year with that kitschy Santa's Workshop imo absolutely not fitting in the charm and the lovely and realistic atmosphere of this theme. So I was that much hoping on this year finally getting another new and great WV building! But what?! Only a re-release of the first set with minor changes?! That's like TLG did not release a WV set at all!

I understand that some people are happy because they missed this set. And so even TLG thinks that they could get these customers. But why then not releasing a completely new toy shop as a completely new building / shop, which could give those people the chance to get a toy shop, but nevertheless do justice to the majority of their WV customers who already own the old toy shop?!

Besides: I missed the Winter Train - which had been released long before the toy shop. But where is the re-release of this set?! :angry:

I really don't understand why TLG doesn't release new WV buildings! There are so many which are highly in demand - such as a candy shop, a grocery or a train station.

I'm really, really hoping that TLG will surprise us with a completely new and awesome Winter Village building (set) in 2016! Since a winter village with only a toy shop, a bakery, a post office, a hut and a winter market (and for those who like it, the Santa's wokshop) is since long not already a complete winter village!

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

As someone who missed out on the original version, I will most definitely be picking this up

Definitely, very happy I never bought the original after it's discontinuation. I prefer the different odds and ends of this version, regardless if it's more or less an exact copy. The updated wreath pieces, alone, look much better. Though, not thrilled about the $20 dollar price increase for 83 more pieces. *sigh* LEGO :sceptic::classic:

Edited by LEGO Guy Bri

There is, of course, something new in the set that makes the whole thing worthwhile. Something that wasn't in the original, and that no AFOL can ever have enough of.

A Brick Separator.

:laugh:

There is, of course, something new in the set that makes the whole thing worthwhile. Something that wasn't in the original, and that no AFOL can ever have enough of.

A Brick Separator.

Hmm...i might change my mind and consider buying it....or just bricklink a brickseparator... haha...

Hmm...i might change my mind and consider buying it....or just bricklink a brickseparator... haha...

Yeah, be quick, it will only cost $21, in six years it will be $41... so you better hurry :wacko:

Edited by finish-last

Yeah, be quick, it will only cost $21, in six years it will be $41... so you better hurry :wacko:

Maybe they will do some new colors on the brickseparators... It would be nice to have a separator-collection..i guess i have them in orange and green already..!!! Hopefully these colors won't be re-released....

I'm only collecting brickseperators myself. Hmmm $41 for a blue one. I'm all in!!!! $410 for one in old-grey :thumbup:

I could melt down old grey bricks and put them in a new mold....hmm... MONEY!!

I heard a rumour that TLG had decided to finish the winter village theme and then changed their minds and re-released one of the better sets (and the one possibly best placed to stand on its own). Perhaps for people who had missed the launch of the theme. We might be lucky to be getting a WV at all!

I've never been tempted by the WV theme before, but I will be getting this one. Not to add to, but as a standalone set. I'll make Advent calendar boxes and the kids can do the builds in the lead-up to Christmas. Then afterwards, packed away until next Christmas.

It will be a family tradition!

I'm so happy about this, I've always wanted the toy shop and so glad I have a chance to build my own.

If I already had the previous version, I would be equally happy to save my money for all the other incredible sets coming out soon.

I heard a rumour that TLG had decided to finish the winter village theme and then changed their minds and re-released one of the better sets (and the one possibly best placed to stand on its own). Perhaps for people who had missed the launch of the theme. We might be lucky to be getting a WV at all!

I've never been tempted by the WV theme before, but I will be getting this one. Not to add to, but as a standalone set. I'll make Advent calendar boxes and the kids can do the builds in the lead-up to Christmas. Then afterwards, packed away until next Christmas.

It will be a family tradition!

Wow, thats a cool idea with the whole advent thing. Really keeps you interested and it will be great to see the structure form over time until Christmas.

Awesome idea!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by Legocity2713

I could melt down old grey bricks and put them in a new mold....hmm... MONEY!!

They already put up a site for us: http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6007

Wow, thats a cool idea with the whole advent thing. Really keeps you interested and it will be great to see the structure form over time until Christmas.

Awesome idea!!!

Indeed! So you have to built in steps of 24? Like page by page or 1 day a lamp, next day a toy? And so on? On Dec. 6th a bigger thing I suppose.

Or one set a day, so Lego NEEDs to create at least 24 sets, guess we're save now!

Edited by finish-last

This thread proves that AFOLS never are or will be satisfied.

This thread proves nothing of the sort.

A company can't do something controversial, and expect everyone to be happy. That's like making Episode 1 and expecting absolutely everyone to love it.

A company can't do something controversial, and expect everyone to be happy. That's like making Episode 1 and expecting absolutely everyone to love it.

Agreed. Good comment.

Maybe TLG has a sabbatical year the coming 12 months, and they only come up with re-releases of sets that were sold out within a year in the past 10 years or so.....haha... Still i think it really sucks, bring out re-releases.... I collected coins for about 10 years ago.. what if they would duplicate the most rare pieces, so everyone has exactly the same collection...everyone can afford all pieces, including the formerly rare ones, which are cheap now... Personally with the feeling of collecting you should actually always have one or a few pieces that you can never afford... I'm still pissed they did this.. although it does not hit me directly....

That's part of the fun of collecting, showing off(or being shown)something rare that you own that others have only seen in photos. This ruins that for some. I know, being LEGO, it's sort of a moot point since you can Bricklink the set anyways, but still. It just kind of ruins the collecting aspect. While I don't really care, as I don't plan on selling, but it is quite astonishing & fun to see what these old sets go for. As many have said, 10199 Toy Shop will(probably have)take a huge hit due to this release.

This thread proves that AFOLS never are or will be satisfied.

Please let them make a Holiday Train next year again...

If LEGO re released the Holiday Train there would be as many people upset about that as there are people upset about the re release of the Toy Shop.

I'm glad so many of you will not be buying the Toy Shop... It will make it that much easier for me to find and purchase the multiples of this set that I want.

Just MHO, YMMV,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I second that.

It would be fun, if it is possible to take the old and the new christmas tree and make a giant one.

Then stack the new toy shop on top of the old one and call it "Toy Emporium".

Put that in the official manual and I would be pleased too.

Edited by finish-last

This makes me happy. It's great news for people like me who don't own any WV sets yet. :excited:

I like this set being re-released mostly because I missed it when it first came out (Still in the Dark Ages), but also because it was slightly updated to make it not an exact re-release of the 2009 set. I do find it interesting that there of those in the LEGO community who don't like this set's re-release, but are calling for the re-release of other sets. I do see it as TLG testing the waters to see if bringing back older sets that are slightly updated will sell.

For those of you who have been out of the dark longer than I have, how often does a set get re-released?

Let me explain why I think this set as a re-release is bad. These sets are pretty much supposed to be collectible - they released one new one every year - and it's not a new concept, there are a lot of Christmas "series" out there from other places (like ceramic villages) where one or two new pieces are added every year - even Barbie has a holiday release every year (or used to - I don't really follow Barbie, but my niece got the new one every year).

You can argue that LEGO is not supposed to be "collectible," except when they release minifigures as "collectible..." So TLG DOES recognize the collectibility of some things.(*) It's just part of ANY hobby. It's just how it is.

So the first point is that re-releasing the Toy Shop would be like re-releasing CMF series one with some slight variations because, hey, some people missed it.

The second point is that there are retired sets that are HUGELY in demand compared to the WV sets. It's hard to quantify the number of people, but given the economics of supply and demand, a good measure would be what old sets are selling for. Up until yesterday, the Toy Shop was selling for somewhere around 3 to 4 times it's MSRP. Cafe Corner is closer to 10. Which one does it make sense to re-release?

Keep in mind that I have both - I'm not arguing this from a "I don't have it so they should re-release it" perspective, I have BOTH, and it wouldn't bother me nearly as much if they re-released Cafe Corner because that's obviously what people want.

The third point is that if there's only one main WV set per year, then a repeat supplants anything new. Re-releasing a modular wouldn't have to supplant releasing a new modular, too... if they release a new modular at the beginning of a year, re-releasing an old set in the summer wouldn't hurt anything.

To answer your last question, you should never, ever count on a set being re-released... ever. Just be happy if they do it for a set you missed, but never count on it, and don't bother getting your hopes up.

(*) As a side note, my only problem with "collectible" is when they create an artificial scarcity, or make something unreasonably difficult to get - but these sets were widely available to everybody at the time.