Rick

10249 Winter Toy Shop

LEGO thank you for saving money this year!!! :laugh::tongue:

Agreed... it's been a tight year for me.

The other differences are that the jack in the box is orange and blue instead of red and blue. It's like night and day, really.

Within a few years you can order any setnumber again......go to www.lego.com/pick_a_set and simply order whatever set you're missing..... :cry_sad:

The end of speculation?

The only reason I doubt it'll happen is not because of technical feasibility, but because they don't want old sets to compete with new ones.

JusJeff over on Brickset has a pretty good theory of why lego did this rehash:

[/font]

Makes sense. Probably what happened actually.

I tend to think people glommed on too quickly the ''complete'' the WV quote - it just seemed off the cuff. But still an interesting theory. Sales would speak louder than customer feedback. But if they truly take customer feedback serious, they're getting their behinds handed to them on this one.

Would have been better to just skip a year entirely, then return the following year with a bang - sales for the pent-up demand would have been huge.

I am in the happy camp as i don't have the set yet. I had even set up a brick link wanted list for it.

I can see why those are dissapointed but hey look at it as an opportunity to get creative and come up with your own build.

Still waiting for a Christmas train set. What's the only thing that is missing in the winter village line. I really don't get it why don't they release one :(

I'm surprised they did not put some brick profile bricks into the new 2015 set.

The Chimney could have used some.......

I'm surprised they did not put some brick profile bricks into the new 2015 set.

The Chimney could have used some.......

Right? That was pretty surprising.

While I like the set as it is, I am a bit dissapointed in not getting a new Winter Village set this year, however this only means I'll be saving some money. Actually, I'd prefer a more modified version of the house, like different colours of the awnings, so that the Winter village would be expanded with another shop.

Is there maybe a possibility that the new WV set they wanted to make was delayed due of build problems (or another problem) and that they were near the deadline so they quickly re-released the Toy Shop? So maybe Grogall was never wrong but the new set never passed so they couldn't release it (yet).

Edited by mcbbvb

I'm happy I can now dream for a re-issue of Café Corner and Green Grocer!

Actually, LEGO said on Facebook that this set does not indicate any future re-releases.

I thought it was rather suspicious when we saw the release of the Creator set 'Changing Seasons'. That also contains a winter variation. Suppose they thought that would suffice this year...

NOT! TLG is missing out on my money this year when it comes to buying a new WV-set. Hope it fails so they won't try to pull this on us loyal fans again!

Edited by TheLegGodt

I just don't really know what to think about it. It does seem a bit slapdash overall. I mean, even the Designer Video seems like they just said, "Hey- sit down and say couple things about this really quick!" Granted, there's not a lot to highlight that changed, but still... I do think it's nice for folks that missed out, of course, but I just still don't get the reasoning behind it as they've made such a big point of not doing re-releases unless the theory about a last-minute solution being necessary is indeed correct.

My biggest point of confusion is that they could have done more with the same part count to updated it or differentiate it. As other have mentioned above, use profile bricks where it makes sense, maybe change up the lamp/bench build for something else (or use a streetlamp design from one of the other sets - would it kill this village to have 2 matching streetlights??), update the large Christmas tree build and fix that horrible ladder-with-giant-foot thing.

As it stands, the most desirable things for me in it are the new minifigs (mainly the carolers since the different prints let you make a nicer group of singers for the village), and the printed shop sign.

You know what I think they should have done if they wanted to basically phone something in for Winter Village this year? A WV Advent Calendar filled with little expansion pieces for the village. They could have included those caroler minifigs, plus a singing child or two (that would make for a nice looking set of singers), naturally some extra toy & present builds would work, perhaps some additional elves for Santa's Workshop along with tools, a sweets cart for the baker to use at the market, maybe a couple of micro-builds that together make another stall or game for the WV Market, and I'm sure they could come up with a lot more, especially if they upped the pricepoint a little bit from where the advent calendars usually are just like the bumped up the price of the Toy Shop from where it had been. That would have been cool for those of us who already have all the WV stuff, but also nice for someone without all the previous sets or who just wants some additional winter-themed Lego.

They also said on facebook that each time they "re-release" a set, they have considerable build differences to justify the set...I don't see anything considerable about this change to re-release it...

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful set. But since I already have it other than the few changes, do I dare spend $80 for that...sure, I could use the pieces and make another WV set myself, which isn't a bad idea. But I don't know if it is worth it in the long run. I guess I'll see how I feel in October..

At first I'm a bit frustrated by this. We have all the Winter Village sets (I think).

But really it kind of makes me a bit more at ease that Lego is willing to revisit sets - even ones that aren't even that old! (was still available end of 2011, and 2012 in some places)

I think most of us have missed key sets in themes that we'd like to have in our collection... For me I'd hope the same treatment happens to the first two sets in the City Street Modulars... And also the early UCS type Star Wars sets (Star Destroyer, Snow Speeder, and the non play version of the Rebel Blockade Runner)

I've been looking back and forth between the pictures of this Toy Shop and the original one. It felt like a "spot the 7 differences" set of two pictures you sometimes see in the newspapers...

Dan-147

Edited by Dan-147

Oh... I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this... But does this make for an interesting Eurobricks competition?

I mean, take the pieces from the new Winter Toy Shop set and create a different addition for the Winter Village series? since probably a lot of people will want the set for completion, but will want it to be different to the one they already have

Looking at the comparison between these 2 sets I can see they are pretty close to identical, however having missed out on the first, this looks pretty good. New face prints are always welcome imo but not enough to justify the rest of the set being the same as the older one.

As I only recently emerged from the Dark Ages, I'm very happy about this news.

Not only does it drastically increase my interest in the Winter Village theme, which I had previously ignored because the retired sets were unavailable, but because it *may* indicate a greater willingness by Lego to re-release other retired, but heaily in-demand, Lego sets (particularly the first three Modulars and some of the UCS Star Wars ships/vehicles).

Honestly, I half-assumed last year's set was supposed to be the last; doing not just an ordinary shop in a small village somewhere but the workshop of Santa himself seemed to me to be both a departure from the theme and a capper to it, like a "send off" set for the theme (sort of the equivalent of Medieval Market Village, Kingdoms Joust, Haunted House, Imperial Flagship, Diagon Alley, etc.), even if it wasn't in the same price class as most of those. I wasn't entirely expecting another one this year at all.

The theory quoted earlier in the thread by Legocity2713, from JusJeff at Brickset, sounds quite plausible to me. We know it takes them a long time to design a set, and the WV sets have all been planned well in advance of their releases; if they really did intend Santa's Workshop to be the last, then there shouldn't be cause for complaint here, since this isn't taking the place of something else. Plenty of people do seem quite upset, though. Oh, well. I honestly don't mind this set at all, and I'm someone who has the original (from the second run, in 2010). I'm actually thinking of getting it if I can afford it, though that doesn't seem likely right now.

Is this the first time Lego have re-released an almost identical set?

Not even close. They did straight-up reissues of several sets in the early 2000s, most of which were closer recreations of the originals than this is (what with its new signage, additional minifigure, additional toys, etc.).

And, for the record, if I'm not mistaken, they DID a limited re-release of this set either the second or third year? I know when fall came around one of those years they started selling the previous year's set. Not sure if it was the first or second year.

Both, actually - it was available during the holiday seasons of three consecutive years. So was the one after it. For the first few years of the theme, each holiday season one could buy that year's set, plus the one from the year before if there had been one, plus the one from the year before that if there had been one. Four or five years in it changed, so that the later ones were each available only twice, but this one could be had in 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Whaou... So sad!

I'm happy this set is made again available because it is a nice one but I can only hope this re-release is not taking the spot of a new WV set for 2015.

WV and Modular Building are announcements I'm looking forward the most each years as both series are a delight to build and collect.

I'm certainely not looking forward to a 2016 Winter Village Bakery.

So sad...

Wakwak

putting toilet bowl on the wall instead of 2x2 round plates

It's actually a life preserver first and foremost, rather than a toilet seat.

As far as i am concerned this is literally the most disappointing LEGO news i've heard since becoming an AFOL. I have all the previous sets from winter village ( including toy shop ) and was so excited about new one coming up. I've read some rumours about it being a re-release but i just couldn't believe it. Woah, what a shock. This announcement actually makes me sad. Every year before i've bought a modular house and a winter village set, only these two themes (are)/were a must for me and in 2015 we get a re-release, wait what :hmpf_bad:

Was just thinking a few days ago that how come there are no smaller (in terms of set sizes) themes for adults and now they'll even waste this line. So disappointing.