Rick

10249 Winter Toy Shop

This will be the first in the series I skip. I am very disappointed. It has been a family tradition to build the new set together every Christmas season. Guess I can spend the $$ elsewhere. Now if this whas a set I did not already have, I would feel different. But that said this is not the set to re-release. An early modular or UCS Falcon... just saying.

This is a Winter Village set that I don't need since I have two copies of set 10199. I'm not going to buy the re-release. At least this decision will help me save money. :wink:

Edited by legotrainfan

As someone who just came out of his dark ages this year, I'm really excited for this set! It'll be my first Winter Village set... unless I buy the market on Amazon in the next month.

What a disappointment for those that own the original, although them carollers faces made me laugh :classic:

Well this is... Disappointing.

I mean, there's a bunch they could'a made. Train Station? Maybe a small motel? A re-hash is not what I expected. I guess if you missed out on the original, here's a second chance. But being someone who has the original, I think I may pass.

The least they could have done is made it be able to attach to the original to make one large Toy Shop. Then it could be somewhat desirable.

Next modular is a corner building.. Cafe Corner remake? :sceptic:

My thoughts too! That would be OK in my book for the 10th official modular!

Can't believe they have re-done a set from this line so soon! TLG putting more effort into other lines these days. IMO the winter village theme started going downhill with the release of the Santa's Workshop which moved away from the original builds.

Oh well £59.99 to spend on other lego. ;-)

I'm glad i sold all my Winter Village sets for a good price, a month ago.... I think it is pretty rediculous to bring out the first set again.... :sick: I could understand it if they would bring out the Toy Shop again, as well as a new set...but this is a bad choice... Obviously i saw it coming as i got rid of the Winter series about a month ago....?? For me it would be a let down if i had to add this to my 6 previous sets...

You're right about that, very disapointed!!

Edited by AlcoEmmen

Well, I'm happy that I own the original, and can now save some money that TLG would otherwise have gotten. Happy about saving money, but not happy otherwise.

I know the people that missed it are happy, but it IS pretty poor decision making on TLG's part. Think about it - the people that missed this set, but have started collecting winter village sets would have bought ANYTHING new TLG released - as would the ones who already have this. From a business standpoint, it makes little sense.

We can use the same arguments for them to stop making CMFs after series 14 and just start over again, or just "update" the modulars and not have any new ones, just recycling all the old ones. But hey, they'll have some different colors maybe!

Having missed quite a lot of stuff myself, I'm still not happy when they do stuff like this.

Edited by fred67

There is nothing that says Lego can't recreate old sets and even make them 100% the same. I wouldn't call that a lack of creativity by any means. Sure I get that is upsetting if you already have the set but at the same time there are a lot of people who might not have had a chance to get the original for whatever reason when it came out.

We see posts pretty much everyday about people wishing they would release the UCS Falcon or the Green Grocer and Corner Market again. I am sure there are just as many people that would love to have the older winter village set released again or whatever theme they are into and missed out on.

I am not saying that anyone is wrong for being upset by the re-release of this but can you say that there is not one set out there that you would be excited if it got a re-release. I have to think there is some set at some point you might have missed that you don't want to spend a fortune for on bricklink. I know there are a few for me. I just look at it as money I can use on a different set and am happy that someone who can't afford the aftermarket prices and missed it the first time can finally get it.

I'd give anything for the horror Studios sets to be remade with identical figs, so I see your point.

However, since this is the first set being remade, I feel a sense of circular closure here. I wouldn't be surprised to see the end of the WV theme after this set.

LEGO posted this on their Facebook according to someone in the Brickset article comments:

Hi everyone, thanks so much for sharing your feedback about this year's release in the Winter Village series. The Winter Village Toy Shop was a huge hit when it launched as the first set in the series back in 2009. We're excited to announce it's back.

Our designers have made several updates including adding some new printed details, additional bricks and elements along with a new minifigure.This 2015 version offers a great building experience to both those fans who have the original set, and those who may be new to the Winter Village series.

This is not an indication of any future re-release or set updates.

LEGO have trained us for the last few decades that they don't do re-issues otherwise we would have seen UCS Falcon or Cafe Corner released. When they have issued an updated model such as X-Wing or Millennium Falcon there have been considerable build modifications or updates to justify the release.

We see posts pretty much everyday about people wishing they would release the UCS Falcon or the Green Grocer and Corner Market again. I am sure there are just as many people that would love to have the older winter village set released again or whatever theme they are into and missed out on.

Yes, but nobody wants those re-releases to supplant what should have been a new set. Why couldn't they release the new Toy Shop along with something new?

A while back, in the thread about re-releasing sets, I suggested TLG allow people to vote for a set to be re-released - so I'm certainly not against the concept, but I was thinking it would be like a LEGO Ideas set - it wouldn't change the usual order of anything else, it would be extra.

Those of us who collect Lego City are used to seeing year after year of boring, repetitive sets (more fire sets next year!!). Sad to see the trend spread to the Winter Village theme too.

I have the original Toy Shop and certainly don't need a second, mostly-identical one. What a weird marketing decision. I sometimes think TLC simply doesn't understand those of us who COLLECT Lego sets as a hobby. Back in the olden days, Lego themes were designed as a system that could be expanded upon endlessly. Once you got into that system, you were hooked. These days, with all their one-off themes and repetitive sets, it seems like they're chasing short-term profit at the expense of creating life-long fans and hobbyists.

And what about that price hike!! The original was $60, and now it's $80?!?! A 33% price hike in six years?? Holy crap. I don't know about the rest of you, but my salary sure hasn't gone up 33% in the last six years!!

Yes, but nobody wants those re-releases to supplant what should have been a new set. Why couldn't they release the new Toy Shop along with something new?

True, but we also know that if one of those sets are released again it will take the spot of some other set that could be a new set. I mean if they put out a new UCS Falcon I don't think they will say since this is a remake lets make 3 UCS sets this year instead of the normal 2.

I get what you are saying and would have loved two christmas sets this year but I am not sure that would have been good from a sales perspective. This way they get all the people who didn't get the first set plus we all know there will be a lot of us that buy it even if we have the first because that is what we do. If they put out two sets they lose a lot who might already have the original plus the casual fans who can afford just one each year will have to chose. There are always a lot of leftover christmas sets at my local lego store and I am not sure it is a theme that could handle two sets in one year to be honest.

Well, I for one would have liked to see something new, but since I never got the original I'm not too sad about it.

Additionally, this one has new pieces which I am excited for, like the transparent round 1x1 tile with pin. You can see it on the red biplane micro... Maybe there are other new parts, as well?

Oh yay, now I can do that 1960's green bathroom I had thought about...haha...

I wasn't back to get the original, so I probably will purchase. It does point to corner cutting at the same time try to appease all the fans that thought the line was ending at that Santa's Workshop lump... :-)

True, but we also know that if one of those sets are released again it will take the spot of some other set that could be a new set. I mean if they put out a new UCS Falcon I don't think they will say since this is a remake lets make 3 UCS sets this year instead of the normal 2.

But I think this is out of the ordinary, and I'd liken it to an Ideas set - if they made an Ideas "Christmas" set, I don't think it would (or should) supplant the usual Winter Village set.

I get what you are saying and would have loved two christmas sets this year but I am not sure that would have been good from a sales perspective. This way they get all the people who didn't get the first set plus we all know there will be a lot of us that buy it even if we have the first because that is what we do. If they put out two sets they lose a lot who might already have the original plus the casual fans who can afford just one each year will have to chose. There are always a lot of leftover christmas sets at my local lego store and I am not sure it is a theme that could handle two sets in one year to be honest.

And yet, after only six years, the demand for the old set is apparently so high they need to re-release it... It's either popular or it's not, if it's not that popular I don't understand why they'd feel the need to re-release sets. (EDIT: although it does explain why they wouldn't want to sink a lot of resources into a new set and, instead, modify and release the old one)

And, for the record, if I'm not mistaken, they DID a limited re-release of this set either the second or third year? I know when fall came around one of those years they started selling the previous year's set. Not sure if it was the first or second year.

Anyway, one of the sets coming out (we had a set name only) was a Christmas Train (which is odd that they actually used the name "Christmas" in it). I'm hoping it's a real train, and not a mini. Maybe we'll see what these other sets are soon.

Edited by fred67

Very disappointing....I think its time to MOC the old toy shop into something else. Maybe a sweets shop?!?

UH WELL.... I actually don't own the original version so that may be a luck to me (if I can afford), but I understand why everyone moans..... :sceptic: It'd be nice if LEGO can afford two sets, one medium new set and one old remake. Maybe next time they should do a larger Santa Workshop :tongue: .

Edited by Dorayaki

PS

This really makes me dread the next modular...

Oh my...they better not do this. Modulars are what really keeps me going & is the centerpiece of my town. I do love my 10182 Cafe Corner, buti wouldn't want an identical building on the street.

This is hugely disappointing. Why couldn't they have at least made major improvements to it like they do with other remakes(SW, City Police & Fire stations). I am(may be was :sad: )a completionist with this line. I'm not too sure that the new prints & parts...along with the new price tag...are enough to get me to buy it. What a bummer.

Hi everyone, thanks so much for sharing your feedback about this year's release in the Winter Village series. The Winter Village Toy Shop was a huge hit when it launched as the first set in the series back in 2009. We're excited to announce it's back.

Our designers have made several updates including adding some new printed details, additional bricks and elements along with a new minifigure.This 2015 version offers a great building experience to both those fans who have the original set, and those who may be new to the Winter Village series.

This is not an indication of any future re-release or set updates.

LEGO have trained us for the last few decades that they don't do re-issues otherwise we would have seen UCS Falcon or Cafe Corner released. When they have issued an updated model such as X-Wing or Millennium Falcon there have been considerable build modifications or updates to justify the release.

And they decided to throw out their whole things about re-releases just for this year? Just because the set was popular when it first released? Weird.

The set actually looks pretty cool updated, but it still is a little disappointing. And whatever happened to that Candy Shop rumor by that supposedly reliable source over on Brickset?

This is why the Seasonal Vignettes will be amazing this Christmas, as will the Black Friday promos! :drool:

Just hang in there folks, the best is yet to come. :excited:

Edited by Legocity2713

The set actually looks pretty cool updated, but it still is a little disappointing. And whatever happened to that Candy Shop rumor by that supposedly reliable source over on Brickset?

No idea, but GRogall was actice yesterday but didn't post..