For the past two months I've been building my entry for the Enforces vs. Bandits competition, and it has finally arrived!

Enforcers - Valuable Transport

enforcer_1.jpg

My source of inspiration is an actual valuable transport truck that I once saw driving over the Dutch highways:

enforcer_bron.jpg

which led me to think: how cool would it be to hide some sort of advanced weaponry in there and have it fold open? First I thought about folding open the container, but in the end it's the entire truck that folds open. Also, the weapons I envisioned were different from what they have become, but the main idea is still there.

So, the specs:

Manual functions

First of all, three of the four axles have steering. The third axle is idle, but has double tyres. I used the same steering linkage as D3K did in his Midi-scale pneumatic crane truck (with his permission), but I reinforced it, sacrificing some ground clearance.

Another feature is that the doors of the cabin can open.

enforcer_2.jpg

Electric functions

The truck houses the normal battery box driving an M motor. This drives a gearbox that operates three functions:

• transformation
  • rotating the turrets
  • raising/lowering the guns

Transformation

Getting the transformation to work was the biggest challenge. The entire sides of the truck are panels that are hinged at the bottom. Via a worm gear system they are deployed outwards. Also, the seats will rotate so that they face the weaponry, so that the driver can operate them.

enforcer_5.jpg

enforcer_6.jpg

enforcer_7.jpg

Because of the weight of the side panels, transforming back into transport mode takes well over a minute...

Armament

In battle mode, the truck shows two turrets carrying two guns, having three bullets each (making the total ammo 12). Via the gearbox the turrets can rotate together, and the guns can be raised.

A spring-loaded mechanism is used to shoot. No specialized parts have been used, except the standard dark-gray 9.5L springs from set 8880. Shooting is done manually by rotating the knob wheels. The bullets are white 1x5 beams.

Here's a computer image of all the functions.

enforcer_assen.jpg

And, of course, the video.

Edited by Erik Leppen

That's great. Nice to see vehicles other than cars and buggy's. This contest is producing some great models. Good luck.

H

Edited by Horace T

Looks superb, and great choice of scale! :thumbup:

Also; smart solution with the steering system, I can imagine that helps a lot with the "wobbliness" I experienced! :thumbup:

Because of the weight of the side panels, transforming back into transport mode takes well over a minute...

...folding the walls down seem to take well over a minute :sweet: Maybe you should implement a "combat override" button, in case of emergency! Picture this: The truck is cruising along in normal mode, nothing special happening, then it rounds a corner, and BAM! BANDITS! Run? Or stay and fight? "Hang on guys, I just need to bring down the walls, should only be a minute!".. Or: COMBAT OVERRIDE! The walls come crashing down and the guns are ready before the bandits even know what happened! Preferrably this would be combined with a hand brake turn :grin:

Nah, just kidding.. would be cool though :wink:

Edited by D3K

That is one interesting truck and as the axles setup indicates, that precious cargo shouId be quite heavy. I really like the bodywork - kinda model team style but nicer, less studs :-) Great use of the steering system that allows nice tight mudguards. The custom switch on the BB seems very usefull and makes operating much easier. Those AA guns sure look great and very intimidating while they dance simultaneously. That computer image of the mechanism inside is a really nice touch and I kinda envy you the knowledge of producing it. I just can't get myself to start and learn those 3D programs. Did you build the whole chassis in 3D or just those mechanisms? Good job overall, see you on the battlefield ;-)

Thanks to all so far for the replies!

This contest is producing some great models.

Yeah it sure is. There's a lot of really neat stuff by many people.

Also; smart solution with the steering system, I can imagine that helps a lot with the "wobbliness" I experienced! :thumbup:

It sure does. This was one of the first (of many) problems I encountered for this MOC. Solving it was required before even going further. Also, the ground clearance is now just short of a stud. Also, the axles are a half-stud offset vertically.

...folding the walls down seem to take well over a minute :sweet:

Haha, so true...

Looking at it this way, it's not really a front-line scout, it's more kind of an artillery force.

That is one interesting truck and as the axles setup indicates, that precious cargo shouId be quite heavy. I really like the bodywork - kinda model team style but nicer, less studs :-) Great use of the steering system that allows nice tight mudguards. The custom switch on the BB seems very usefull and makes operating much easier. Those AA guns sure look great and very intimidating while they dance simultaneously. That computer image of the mechanism inside is a really nice touch and I kinda envy you the knowledge of producing it. I just can't get myself to start and learn those 3D programs. Did you build the whole chassis in 3D or just those mechanisms? Good job overall, see you on the battlefield ;-)

Thanks. Yes, I used MLCAD heavily for this, almost in tandem with the actual construction, because both work best for different problems. I couldn't have done this without the CAD software, I think. So yeah, I have 99% of the whole model in MLCAD (only the latest changes haven't been digitized). It's about 2500 parts.

The civilan mode looks stunning! The battle mode has great weapons, but I kind of wish the battery box was a bit more concealed. We don't want those Bandits aiming for your fuel tank!

I can only think of 1 song that describes the MOC

Great job by the way :thumbup::wub:

this is a great entry. The two working guns are my favorite and to the bonus that they fire as well. Awesome stuff..well done and good luck in the comp.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Just EPIC! Great entry. Good looks combined with a high technique model. Amazing you where able to get it so compact.

It feels like a Ultra Agents set.

A little bit of a same that it takes so long to fold open, but the outer shell is pretty heavy that gearing down is necessary and that makes thing go slow.

God luck in the competition. The competition is heavy with so many great entries.

Thanks all for all the nice words! Yes, one of the things I wanted was for normal mode to look as normal as possible. Only the front grille is a small hint that it has something to hide ;)

And yes, I really like this scale (and those wheels). It's not as big as the scale of the 62x20 wheels, but (just :P) big enough to fit functionality inside. But indeed, tucking away the battery box wasn't possible. Everything just fits. For example, getting the hinge points for the guns exactly such that they could freely move and fitted in the box when flat, was a challenge. I'm glad it worked out in the end.