ogelivation

Hi from Australia

I'm Sara from Melbourne - I'm an AFOL who joined to enjoy the magnificent MOCs posted here. See, I'm learning the lingo. And I'm totally in awe of the imaginations on display.

Every Christmas as a child my siblings and I would shake our wrapped presents under the tree to see if they had that "Lego jangle". Back then (ahem, the 70s) sets were a lot more generic and I don't think I followed a single instruction booklet in my childhood. Pretty much the only thing my sister and I made were little houses complete with furniture, using the (now) vintage 2x3 doors, which is a smaller scale than minifigs (did they even exist then)? We would build anything from mansions to tiny caravans where we squeezed in just enough furniture to be functional. While our brother used the "blocky" 2x2s and 2x4s in primary colours to make his cars and trucks, we were only really interested in the thin white bricks to build walls.

My parents still have a drawer-ful of that old Lego (used to be 3 drawers, but it got redistributed among grandkids), which I still play with despite its rather unhygenic state. More recently I've started buying myself new sets and learning how to follow instructions... the first time around. Then I take it apart and build mansions and bedsits again. My daughter at 5 is now old enough to join in. I was pleased to see how well she coped with instructions, then astonished by the little creations she's started to make. She's obsessed with the Lego movie so her sets are all from that theme. I prefer Friends, Elves and the Creator houses because they have the pieces I like for my architecture.

Phew. That's me and my lego!

Edited by ogelivation

Hello Sara

I used to receive LEGO sets every Christmas too!

Welcome to Eurobricks!

Edited by Robert8

I shop online quite a bit, so now every time a package comes to the door I'm back to shaking it to see if it's my Lego order!

I used to receive LEGO sets for Christmas……..and I still do, although I buy it for myself now! Welcome to the forum.

Paul

I'm afraid I buy them NOT for Christmas. Just bought the new Ninjago temple yesterday, which is a line I never thought I'd look twice at.

Warm welcome to Eurobricks Sara!

Just bought the new Ninjago temple yesterday, which is a line I never thought I'd look twice at.

Oh yeah, what a great set it is, isn't it? Maybe I see you back in the Action and adventure themes :classic: