Capn Frank

Pillage the Village Contest: Out for Blood Edition

Phred, the contest tags required to enter are too long, and are cut off when used for a tag (at least the small entry one is, though I would imagine the rest are as well).

I had added the Tags to this topic and the digital one was too long. :look:

I apologize for the confusion. I have altered the tags replacing Pillage the Village with PTV. The following topics have been updated:

Pillage the Village Contest: Invasion from the Ocean
PtV: Bartholemew Robbins

Also, do we need to link the topic to in a post in this thread?

You don't need to post a link in this topic. The idea behind the tags is if the PTV 2015 Small tag were selected, then all other entries with the exact same tag will show up in a list. I have added these tags to this topic. If your topic does not show up when selecting the relevant tag of this topic, then the text in the tag needs to be altered. If you aren't able to edit your tags, post in here with a request to fix your tag.

Rule 15 has been updated.

• 15. A specific thread tag (beneath the title) is required for each entry. Only entries with these tags will be accepted. This topic contains the three tags below. If you select the relevant tag and your topic is not listed, you need your tag corrected. If you need help with your thread's tag, ask in this topic.

• PTV 2015 Large
      PTV 2015 Small
      PTV 2015 Digital

Hey! Anyone have any good source pictures of "age of sail" villages of the like one might pillage? I have a topic open for source pictures here. I would like to use them in the planning of my build, so I can make it as accurate/good looking as possible. Thanks in advance! :grin:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Just to doublecheck:

My Idea for the large MOC is a scenery where Pirates are attacked and elimated by Imperials. Yes there will be enough "police brutality", but is it ok to include an early steam ship (no steampunk)?

Yes there will be enough "police brutality", but is it ok to include an early steam ship (no steampunk)?

I'm happy to hear about the police brutality. :devil:

Yes, early steam vessels will be allowed similar to the types found in the Ship Index.

I have a few clarification questions.

1) I assume that the physical modification of LEGO pieces (ie coloring or cutting) is not allowed?

2) May I use an official LEGO set as a base to my submission? For example, if I depicted a battle between two large ships, would they have to be custom built, or could they be official LEGO sets?

Thanks!

1) I assume that the physical modification of LEGO pieces (ie coloring or cutting) is not allowed?

Correct, physical modification of Lego pieces is not allowed.

2) May I use an official LEGO set as a base to my submission? For example, if I depicted a battle between two large ships, would they have to be custom built, or could they be official LEGO sets?

• 6. All entries must be new creations, not posted anywhere else prior to being entered in the contest. You may be asked by a staff member to change your entry if it is too similar to an earlier creation.

A majority of your creation should be a new MOC or MOD. Using small, unmodified sets as a part of your overall build is acceptable. I recommend you modify/improve your ships according the needs of your creation. I would recommend more cannons on the pirate ship. :cannon:

Lord Valgor and Captain Braunsfeld, I have amended my answer about modification of Lego pieces to allow custom figs.

• May I mutilate and brutalize the actual Lego bricks in my creation by cutting, gluing, painting them?
    :pir-cry_sad:
    Custom Figs (including animals) are fine. Physical modification of Lego pieces for the construction of the entry is not allowed.

Hi. I'm new here, but lurk a bit in some of the other forums.

My daughter got a couple of the new small pirate sets, and loves the theme. But the lack of a smallish ship is a curious omission for an ostensibly nautical theme. Her Elves ship got called to action, and I cobbled together a hull from some Technic panels. The ship is still in development, but would it qualify for the "small" category if we make it sufficiently gory? (It extends beyond a 16 square base.)

redship.JPG

@Majorna: how far beyond does it extend? Does the body of the ship rest within a 16 square base? Is it just the front mast thing (I have no knowledge of boats) that extends beyond? If that was the case, then it may work, but I'm not a judge and cannot speak officially on the subject.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Both the bowsprit and a bit of the prow extend beyond the baseplate if placed diagonally. Even some of the stern greebling overhangs the plate, slightly. The hull, at waterline, would fit on a baseplate.

Both the bowsprit and a bit of the prow extend beyond the baseplate if placed diagonally. Even some of the stern greebling overhangs the plate, slightly. The hull, at waterline, would fit on a baseplate.

Is there a way to make the vessel a little shorter?

Your entry's main build (the entire hull) should to be able to fit inside the 16X16 square. I would interpret the bow extending beyond the square to be overlap.

Any insight into how competitive a 36-36 build would be in the large category? Should I expect to be competing against highly detailed 100-100+ builds?

I could scale my plan down to 16-16, but I think it'd be easier to make a bit larger than that so it doesn't look cramped. :blush:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I wouldn't worry too much about size in the large category. Bigger isn't automatically better; besides, the rules plainly state that the level of violence/mayhem will deternine whether a design makes the cut for the final voting round. If your design meets the criteria it would handily beat out a 100x100+ that shows little of the "out for blood" or doesn't really inspire with good building techniques, photos, etc. I say go for it - but perhaps Phred or the other staff can share their thoughts too.

Any insight into how competitive a 36-36 build would be in the large category? Should I expect to be competing against highly detailed 100-100+ builds?

I could scale my plan down to 16-16, but I think it'd be easier to make a bit larger than that so it doesn't look cramped. :blush:

Thank you Captain Dee. I couldn't have said it better myself. :grin:

I wouldn't worry too much about size in the large category. Bigger isn't automatically better; besides, the rules plainly state that the level of violence/mayhem will deternine whether a design makes the cut for the final voting round. If your design meets the criteria it would handily beat out a 100x100+ that shows little of the "out for blood" or doesn't really inspire with good building techniques, photos, etc. I say go for it - but perhaps Phred or the other staff can share their thoughts too.

The grand prize winner of the for the large category of the first Pillage the Village Contest was on a 48x48.

• 20. For each category, EB staff will make a first selection, and then EB members will vote for their favorite entry among that selection. If the staff doesn't question your sanity based upon your gruesome entry, it's not making the first cut. pirate_devg1.gif

Just you know, this rule serves multiple purposes. One purpose for this rule is to cut down the number of entries per category in case there are more than 15ish entries. Another reason for this rule is for deciding tie breaker votes quickly.

Thank you Captain Dee. I couldn't have said it better myself. :grin:

The grand prize winner of the for the large category of the first Pillage the Village Contest was on a 48x48.

Just you know, this rule serves multiple purposes. One purpose for this rule is to cut down the number of entries per category in case there are more than 15ish entries. Another reason for this rule is for deciding tie breaker votes quickly.

Thanks Captain Dee and Phred! I have a limited (and disorganized :blush: ) collection, and a full schedule this month, so I likely won't be able to build anything truly massive, but I do have a cool idea I want to try, so I'm glad to know that the first winner was only 48-48. :classic: if I get the time to build this, the "sanity-questioning levels of demented acts" should be no issue whatsoever... :devil:

Never built a village scene before! :sweet:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

• 16. You may present up to 6 pictures per entry. Post pictures no larger than 800x600, but you may link to bigger pictures and image galleries.

Hello Phred,

If I can manage to meet the deadline, I will include my next build in this competition. I was wondering if you would consider pictures as the following as 1 picture:

16867113855_5b08e24173.jpg6. Fort Portugal Details

This is quite useful to show some details or play features.

I was wondering if you would consider pictures as the following as 1 picture:

[snip]

This is quite useful to show some details or play features.

The staff and I are discussing this and will respond in this topic when a decision is reached.