Capn Frank

Pillage the Village Contest: Out for Blood Edition

I might be able to enter the competition... But I am still not confident in my photographing skills. Also the only camera I own is a cellphone. I also don't have any picture editing program for my computer where I can remove the background, so my pictures will be very inferior to those of other members. Does anyone know if there is a good editing program legally available for free?

I used paint.net. There you can use different layer. I deleted alle background, take a new (or let it white). At the end you can merge both layer.

Ich benutze paint. net für das verändern zum Beispiel bei meinen Comics. Du kannst verschiedene Schichten des Bildes anlegen. Löscht du etwas in der oberen Schicht, so sieht man dann die darunter liegende Schicht. Das ermöglicht das "weißmachen" des Hintergrundes oder das Einfügen eines anderen Hintergrundes, wie zum Beispiel eine tropische Insel.

Gimp is a free download, and I'm told there are YouTube videos available to learn how to use it. I just played around until I figured out how to do what I needed, and I've never used a photo editing software, so I think it's relatively easy to learn. I also just take pictures with my cellphone (iPhone 4s) and my results are good enough for me.

This picture for example probably took about 3 minutes of editing.

19569892004_1be7e7f266_c.jpg

Edited by MiloNelsiano

I might be able to enter the competition... But I am still not confident in my photographing skills. Also the only camera I own is a cellphone. I also don't have any picture editing program for my computer where I can remove the background, so my pictures will be very inferior to those of other members. Does anyone know if there is a good editing program legally available for free?

I use Gimp from http://www.gimp.org too.

I think you're only allowed background editing on one photo for the contest.

Edited by dr_spock

Vielen Dank für die Empfehlungen. Thanks for the recommendations. :) Maybe I'll try gimp. So will I only be allowed to erase background on one photo? Otherwise there'll be shelves, chairs and stuff behind the build. : P

Edit: Oh, it seems I can remove backgrounds at least.

Edited by Sigolf Brimabane

Yeah I am definitely going to put in an entry.

Not the best moccer yet but it will be fun to have some sort of incentive to build!

Vielen Dank für die Empfehlungen. Thanks for the recommendations. :) Maybe I'll try gimp. So will I only be allowed to erase background on one photo? Otherwise there'll be shelves, chairs and stuff behind the build. : P

Edit: Oh, it seems I can remove backgrounds at least.

You could use a large sheet of paper and take pic of your MOC in front of it. I find it easier than trying to post-edit out shelves and chairs, etc.

setup.jpg

18854320348_7cd5d4ed4e_z.jpgDay 173 of 365: Racing Drag by dr_spock_888, on Flickr

Hmm, my build is in the large category , I think it is 64x96 studs big. So it would have to be one heck of a large paper : ) I've seen that some people use those roll down curtains, but then I'd have to buy one of those. And I need to make a couple of orders for my build already... So I think I'll have to try the editing.

Hmm, my build is in the large category , I think it is 64x96 studs big. So it would have to be one heck of a large paper : ) I've seen that some people use those roll down curtains, but then I'd have to buy one of those. And I need to make a couple of orders for my build already... So I think I'll have to try the editing.

Poster board or foam core can be found in large sheets at any office supply store. It is inexpensive.

You can also use a white or other solid color bed sheet. Be sure there are no stains or anything, clean would be best. :look:

But I am still not confident in my photographing skills.

There are some things you may do to get better pictures. Check out Hinckley's Photographing Lego Tutorial. :thumbup:

I think you're only allowed background editing on one photo for the contest.

You are correct Dr. Spock.

• 17. ...All your other pictures may have no editing other than color adjustment or background removal for a solid-color background. ...

SEA Nightmare

Do you think it will fit the Pillage the Village Contest? If yes, I'll add the pictures later. The most interesing part of the story - before dawn - will come later, too.If not, please say why. As you can see in the 1st picture, one unlucky night a redcoats' frigate was sailing the seas. The watchman in the crow's nest saw a small boat with a couple of pirates and a strange creature. It was a golum. (picture #2). The crew took the strangers on board the ship. But alas!.... In the morning - all the crew members became skeletons (pictures 3, 4, 5). And the captain became the most scary 4-armed skeleton! Even the ship became a see monster with a dragon's head and tail at the back. Why, to your mind, all that happened? Hope you like my story and creation.

Edited by Staslegomaster

SEA Nightmare

Do you think it will fit the Pillage the Village Contest? If yes, I'll add the pictures later. The most interesing part of the story - before dawn - will come later, too.If not, please say why. As you can see in the 1st picture, one unlucky night a redcoats' frigate was sailing the seas. The watchman in the crow's nest saw a small boat with a couple of pirates and a strange creature. It was a golum. (picture #2). The crew took the strangers on board the ship. But alas!.... In the morning - all the crew members became skeletons (pictures 3, 4, 5). And the captain became the most scary 4-armed skeleton! Even the ship became a see monster with a dragon's head and tail at the back. Why, to your mind, all that happened? Hope you like my story and creation.

Of course it would take a picture to judge, but bare in mind that this contest is called 'Pillage the Village', and in the destription it states 'Looting, robbing, smuggling and plundering are the hobbies of every healthy pirate. This contest explores the nefarious side of the LEGO System pirate's life, so your mission is to show us the gory aspect of their daily activities in the Golden Age of Piracy.' To me it sounds like your creation does not fit this 'What would Pirates do' - theme. Please also take into consideration that an ongoing MOC-based story would depict several MOCs and these would therefore be separate entries. Better stick to one MOC and come up with a decent story in writing.

You could for example depict your sea-monster-ship on a rampaging raid of the closest merchant harbor or in battle with another ship.

My MOC will feature the evil Imperial Soldiers killing "criminals" (there will be a tragic backstory)... is that evil enough? And is this too much of a spoiler for my entry (which might not be ready in time because of university)?

I am keeping mine simple with basic rape and plunder type of shore leave. Is it ok to rape? :pir-look:

Sounds sufficiently evil to me, and if that's what this is about, I don't see why not. I suppose it's better than being killed, but somehow I suspect it will provoke a sharper reaction, which seems odd.

I would not say it's better than being killed... but I have experienced neither and the victims of one of those kinds of violence never live to tell the tale so guess it's hard to compare. I had thought of doing something with slavery and islanders, but I think that would probably be too serious for the LEGO world as well. It still feels like a natural part of colonisation, which the *insert colour*-coats are doing. Anyways, I look forward to seeing good builds, and hope I have a shot at making it into the top four :) I hope this livens up the Pirate forum. Does this competition mean that BoBS is nigh?

Edit: knowing Eurobricks we'll probably see some insane builds that claim the top spots... but I can dream at least.

Edited by Sigolf Brimabane

I did consider some of the more serious atrocities when I first heard of the challenge, but I personally don't feel comfortable portraying them properly. Much easier to portray murder or the like... not that I intend to do something as simple as just murder.... :devil:

Time to break out the good book!

BoVDCover.gif

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

I have some nice ideas which contain the Pirate Cook(one that was introduced in the Brick Bounty set), a cleaver, a screaming civillian and a pirate crew hungry from all the pillage, rape, murder and plunder they've recently done. The problem is, while I've done some MOCs before, I never participated in a contest, and I practically got zero experiece on photo editing. So hopefully, if I can get my bricks together, I might try my chances on this one.

Can I do a semi sci-fi scene? It would be still set in a village, just with alien thingies...

This was already asked... it's gotta be "golden age of sail!"

That said... a lot of Strange stuff could be going on in the age of sail...

~Insectoid Aristocrat

This was already asked... it's gotta be "golden age of sail!"

That said... a lot of Strange stuff could be going on in the age of sail...

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Oh, definitely, just with sci fi.

Do you think it will fit the Pillage the Village Contest?

My MOC will feature the evil Imperial Soldiers killing "criminals" (there will be a tragic backstory)... is that evil enough? And is this too much of a spoiler for my entry (which might not be ready in time because of university)?

It's hard to judge based upon a text description. Your description may sound inadequate for the contest, but then your entry turns out to be insanely awesome. Remember, entries are considered W.I.P.s until the end of the contest. :pir-wink:

If you're looking for ideas, I suggest the same as KB. Check out the Pillage the Village Contest from 2008,large, medium, and small entries.

I am keeping mine simple with basic rape and plunder type of shore leave. Is it ok to rape? :pir-look:

You've gotten me a little concerned about your entry. I hope it won't give me the jibilees.

Can I do a semi sci-fi scene? It would be still set in a village, just with alien thingies...

Are you talking Cowboys Pirates vs. Aliens?

Phredit:

Due to a PM conversation I had and a question by someone else in this topic, rule #10 has been updated to include a definition of reasonable overlap.

• 10. A reasonable amount of overlap is allowed in the Small and Digital Categories, but nothing extensive. Stacking plates/baseplates will not be allowed. If you are uncertain that your entry qualifies, we suggest posting it with a specific request in this topic for a review and someone in the staff will make a determination.

• Reasonable overlap is defined by:The main build should be able to fit inside the 16x16 square. Minor portions of the MOC such as greebling, minifigs, and accessories could be partially outside the "square".

Phred, the contest tags required to enter are too long, and are cut off when used for a tag (at least the small entry one is, though I would imagine the rest are as well). Also, do we need to link the topic to in a post in this thread?