nebraska

Union Pacific Big Boy # 4014

Ever since my 844 was built I decided to build a Big Boy 4-8-8-4 and when the UP brought 4014 back online - I knew she was the one. Powered by power functions she can handle ME Models R104 track with ease. It can't do regular Lego curves; I had no intention of doing it as I wanted to pile as much detail as I could into her. With the tender she comes in at 102 studs long. A comparison next to my 844 is included.

It helped having an actual Big Boy down the road to take my tape measure and to climb around on at the Lauritzen Gardens….

20365770988_ffb9171518_c.jpgLego Union Pacific Big Boy # 4014

20527535626_4715f1dd3a_c.jpgDSCLego Union Pacific Big Boy # 401402694

20367111159_0baa970d31_c.jpgLego Union Pacific Big Boy # 4014

You did it again Nebraska!

I love the Big Boy and your model has many beautiful details ...I like the rods and the red steering wheels

It's amazing to see those two locomotives together! :wub: :wub:

I didn't like the...

I don't think the...

It doesn't need the...

Nope, I've got nothing. That is seriously inpressive. I thought it looked impressive when I saw it on my phone, now I can see all the detail on a big screen all I can say is wow.

The stand out for me is the neatness of your joints and connections. It shows real skill to build like that. There are no gaps and spaces where there shouldn't be and it makes it look suitably 'heavy.'

Love it.

Love your work

wonderful! i love the amount of detail you put into it like those valves, running gear and railings and the decals make it complete! wonderful!

She's a beauty with very clean lines and great attention to detail. It can be hard with long articulated locomotives like this to keep the boiler looking realistic and you easily pulled that off. Excellent work. I'd like to see a shot of her in the R104 curve. Of course now you're gonna have to get an R88 for the little sister (grin)... and 300 coal hoppers to drag along behind the two of them (grin some more)

I am speechless with the beauty of this locomotive, it is just phenomenal. Now I am usually critical but with this I can find no flaws. The wheels are amazing.

Edited by Legoboy22

I hate you now more than when you built the 844.

It's a very jealous, envious type of hate :laugh:

That again, is one damned fine locomotive sir! As a life long UP fan it's awesome to see something like that out of Lego

Amazing engine! Need a video of it running!

Any chance you'd show how you make those axles on the tender look so cool? I am building a custom engine of my own and REALLY want my tender to have those axles!

Edited by someguy

You know what this topic really needs is a picture of Nebraskas 844 and 4014 double heading pulling those awesome Union Pacific passenger cars!

Since I upgraded the drivers on my Union Pacific 844 to Shupp's 80" boxpok from Shapeways (I was using Big Ben Bricks XL) -  I wanted to upgrade the Big Boy's drivers from LEGO's large driver to BBB XL so it would be more in scale to a 68" driver.  It stretched the engine by about 9 studs and came out looking really good.

33136438202_8434a95883_c.jpgLego Union Pacific 4014 Big Boy version 2.0 by Nate Flood, on Flickr

32448854314_62254f4cb7_c.jpgLego Union Pacific 4014 Big Boy version 2.0 by Nate Flood, on Flickr

This is really nitpicky of me I know, but I feel like you should rise the bar on the front of the engine by one stud (so switching spots with the tiles). Other than this, I really love this build.

1 hour ago, legonerd54321 said:

This is really nitpicky of me I know, but I feel like you should rise the bar on the front of the engine by one stud (so switching spots with the tiles). Other than this, I really love this build.

I think you may be right...

17 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I really love your works ...and this upgrade is delicious! :wub:

Are you planning to build new locomotives?

Yes - Lately I've done a Berkshire 2-8-4 Polar Express that I don't think I've posted here.  I'm also going to do UP 3985 eventually.

Edited by nebraska

This is a great train! I love how nice the SNOT technique turned out. I can't even fathom how you made such a good train. I'd love to see a few carriages hooked up to it!

I love these big long trains but they always look a little goofy going around Lego's tight curves. They really are suited to the large radius cubes made by other companies.