shmails

[Challenge 2][Cat C] Preparing To Launch

This is my entry into Category C of Challenge #2

PREPARING FOR LAUNCH

20359992470_cfe56b1998_c.jpg

---------- Start Log ----------

After my week long break back aboard the Axle, I am ready to get back to work. My briefing was unusually short, not saying much about my location other than "everything will be fine". Well, I guess everything will be fine! Time to get in my OF21 Sparrow Fighter and head off for my next adventure.

--------- End Log ----------

20521778956_6bac002a20_z.jpg

20554492701_c069ff5491_z.jpg

20359997840_41cf575064_z.jpg

20360032028_08789de95b_z.jpg

19927153663_c87fc87cbd_z.jpg

20360022988_3d0b900b82_z.jpg

more, larger photos here: https://www.flickr.c...157657212000605

Notes: I have always wanted to do an NCS style hangar, and this challenge was the perfect opportunity. Inspirational credit goes to Peter Reid, Thomas Oeschner, and all the great creations in the NCS style, it is one of my all time favorite themes.

The launcher was designed as a mag-lev system that slingshots the ship out of the hangar. When the ship lands, it does so in the hangar above, where maintenance is done, and then the ship is lowered into place for the next mission.

Please let me know what you think, and enjoy!

wow. this seems so much larger than i think it is, maybe because of how clean it is along with the depth the greebling and other structures make it feel. great concept, too. is he pulling a back-to-the-future fade-out-before-the-wall or is that meant to be a hangar door that opens for him? the last couple of pictures make it look like he just disappears but i couldn't tell if that was just showcasing the empty hangar. beautiful work as always

Oh that's just great! Amazing work here! I was going to do a fighter launch too, but opted against it. Now I'm glad I did because there's no way I could have topped this!

Wow really cool launch bay! Great job on the walls and the launch rail especially.

Simply brilliant scene, the back wall has just the right level of greebles. Only one thing could improve it and that is if the hangar doors would open. If you worked for Mantis, chief accountant Long may have something to say about needing 8 people to launch a single seat fighter but they do really add to the scene.

Edited by woofmcmoose

Fantastic hanger shmails! Lovely texturing on the walls and the cleanness of the whole build, and the number on the front is awesome as well! :sweet:

Superb hangar! I really like this style as well, and the Octan colors fit so perfectly! Nice little ship too, and both the greebling and the door are just about perfect!

Thanks so much everyone! The size of the scene is about 44x40 studs, so kinda big. The hangar door was my big struggle with this build, and by the comments it is hit or miss. I tried open, half open, and closed but could not decide what looked best. I figured in the end that since Jacques was not even in the ship yet, the door should be closed. It will open before launch, then the ship is slingshot out and the door closes again. As for the crew, my mind told me that there was another hangar behind the control area, so the crew actually works two launch bays at a time. Thanks again, more to come from Jacques!

Wow I love this! Great setup with the control area in an overwatch and the rail system for launching the ship. Another masterpiece.

Thanks guys!

I instantly thought of "Battlestar Galactica", any inspiration from the new series?

Yep, but probably more from the original series since I really never got into the new one.