I work at a hospital and talked a rep into letting me by this baby. They are surgical pliers. Of course it is new and not used. :sweet: I have been using them for a while now and they are wonderful helps. Mostly for grabbing and pulling out stubborn pins. There are little teeth like a set of pliers so they grab and hold real well. I like them better than pliers because they are narrower and can fit better in tight places. I can also hold axles and connect with connecters or bushes in tight spots that otherwise I could not. I used to have to redo whole sections of build b/c I could not access tight spaces b/c of my fat fingers.... but with this baby I have not had to do that.

So this got me thinking..... what, if any, tools do people use as they build? I know pliers are common.... any others? If any one has access to surgical pliers, I would greatly recommend them.

Here is another pic

post-126355-0-17337200-1439493034.jpg

post-126355-0-20342400-1439493300.jpg

I've got a little Gerber Clutch multitool, and it is my best friend. The pliers on it are small enough to fit in axle holes for pushing out stubborn axles, and it proved invaluable in routing pneumatic hoses in 42043.

I use a Victorinox Swisstool for many things, mostly for pulling out axles that have a lot of friction and not much to grab on to :classic:

A Needle nose pliers for axles, A butterknife for separating plates/ tiles, jewelers flat-head screwdrivers for prying out small pieces, and forceps for getting pieces out of the deep areas.

For a long time I used the blade of a pair of fabric scissors to dislodge pins and axles. Then the inevitable happened - I snapped a 12-axle and realized that I should have just got the needle nose pliers out that I use for building and fixing computers, which I now use for the same purposes.

For plates and bricks I've found that (disposable) toothpicks work very well and don't leave any marks behind, so I can be as ham-fisted as I like and the worst that will happen is that the toothpick will break.

Edited by Jay Psi

Is this for Technic building or LEGO building in general?

For Technic, I use only my fingers.

For other themes, I use the brick separator tool

I use a Victorinox Swisstool for many things, mostly for pulling out axles that have a lot of friction and not much to grab on to :classic:

This. I have two Swiss Army knives and I use them for everything, including Lego. I also use my teeth sometimes when I'm removing pins or separating small plates that are stuck together. We all do it, surely.

Hands, Needle-nose Pliers, brick separator, and a of regular pliers. Don't forget this to!

331375-512329-48.jpg

Edited by JJ2

one of these 4526119.jpg for pushing / pulling out pegs, one of these 4198367.jpg for extra grip on those axles that can't be pulled / pushed out.

Oh, and brick separators still have obscure uses for all such as getting things like wheel bearings apart.

Only in extreme circumstances will I resort to other solutions, and then it'll be something brutal like locking pliers.

I use tweezers fairly often for putting small knots in string for cranes, etc.

I use needle-nose pliers for tight spaces and in general various suitable things to push out pins and stuff if I can't otherwise.

lol... I like the teeth. And for those who are claiming they only use their hands there is a little disclosing that needs to go on :wink: There are simply some configurations of Technic where it is impossible to remove a part without the use of a tool. Even if it is just another axle to push out an axle out of a tight spot......say, a 2L red axle out of like ummm.... a 2L spot.

... that is still considered a tool.

Hands, Needle-nose Pliers, brick separator, and a of regular pliers. Don't forget this to!

331375-512329-48.jpg

This is what happens when you build the Arocs from beginning to end without stopping :laugh: :laugh:

I have a tweeker that I use mainly for the small screws on the IR remotes. I've also used it pushing axles out of bushings.

Otherwise. Just my hands.

Sometimes i use something like this or needle

adatas_8260397_caurumiem-200x200.jpg

to pull put some axle, if it's impossible to push it out from other side.

In all other cases hands and fingers were enough

I have done this.

To make the pliers, I used a small grinding wheel mounted on a drill. Be careful not to over tighten.

899751Pince02.jpg994852Pince03.jpg

Edited by oracid

I use my hands and for pushing out pins or axles I use an old bend 12 long axle.

Edited by vliet

Oh no, I'm too scared I would scratch my preciousss bricks by using metal tools. I only use fingers and other Lego pieces to dislodge or push stuborn parts.

Often I use simple tricks or build basic tools, like the way TLG advised to construct tools from Lego parts in the 80's:

001.jpg

Edited by Cumulonimbus