Sign in to follow this  
Wardancer

How to make "signatures" in images?

Hello,

many of the pro moccers insert "signatures", i.e. bannerlike logos and their names written in some exotic font in their images in order to mark them as "theirs".

How can I do such a thing? Is there a tutorial or something? I do not even know how these things are called. Watermarks? I dont mean these pale imprints though.

I am posting here, because I believe here is where the digital pros are. If you could point me in some direction I would be greatful as I have a big release coming up.

"watermark" is the correct term.

You can apply that manually (using an image editing software) or automatically (with a software that have a ready-made watermark function).

Could you provide an example of what effect do you exactly want to reproduce?

The signature of the example is very simple, a flat image without trasparency effect.

You simply have to create an image with transparent background and paste it on the main image.

Try, for example, using this Classic Space logo.

Edited by Calabar

Hello,

many of the pro moccers insert "signatures", i.e. bannerlike logos and their names written in some exotic font in their images in order to mark them as "theirs".

How can I do such a thing? Is there a tutorial or something? I do not even know how these things are called. Watermarks? I dont mean these pale imprints though.

I am posting here, because I believe here is where the digital pros are. If you could point me in some direction I would be greatful as I have a big release coming up.

Thank you!

If you look at this example, you can see both a the name in letters and the face in the corner:

https://m.flickr.com...en/19017889631/

With the poor Knowledge I have I can only think about copy and paste. I can copy one picture into another, but that would uhmm also override the space between letters.

Ehm, I don't know - maybe I got you completely wrong, but from the image link you posted is it what you really want JUST ADDING SOME CUSTOMIZED TEXT TO YOUR IMAGE? :look::classic:

If so: any decent image editor will make that for you with ease:

1. open your image in the editor

2. type your text with editor's Text tool

3. find somewhere on the web, download, instal and then select the font you like for your text you just wrote

4. export your final result

Ehm, I don't know - maybe I got you completely wrong, but from the image link you posted is it what you really want JUST ADDING SOME CUSTOMIZED TEXT TO YOUR IMAGE? :look::classic:

If so: any decent image editor will make that for you with ease:

1. open your image in the editor

2. type your text with editor's Text tool

3. find somewhere on the web, download, instal and then select the font you like for your text you just wrote

4. export your final result

Hehe, I see why you think that. I am capable of using the text tool in images. But I do not mean pure text that is available as a font. I mean letters which include images and my own modifications, things like a letter with ears or leaves or a letter which looks like a sword.

The signature of the example is very simple, a flat image without trasparency effect.

You simply have to create an image with transparent background and paste it on the main image.

Try, for example, using this Classic Space logo.

Ah, thanks. I did not know there were images with transparent backgrounds. I will try this.

Hehe, I see why you think that. I am capable of using the text tool in images. But I do not mean pure text that is available as a font. I mean letters which include images and my own modifications, things like a letter with ears or leaves or a letter which looks like a sword.

Ah, thanks. I did not know there were images with transparent backgrounds. I will try this.

I believe the file format is .png

There are many fonts available online. Install them into your operating system and then they are available for use in your editor. There are also instructions for creating your own custom fonts.

There are many fonts, but if you are really trying to do something fancy and unique, then as the other ideas suggested, you can just make your own image with a transparent background and overlay it on other images. It doesn't even have to be the same size - you can create a smaller rectangular image that, with decent image software, you can overlay located anywhere on top of the image you are trying to put your signature on.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me here, but the free GIMP software is more than capable of this and a lot more.

My personal favorite image editor is GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) but maybe that's just because it's free and I'm cheap when it comes to software.

My basic method for watermarking begins with making a small signature image with a transparent background. If all you want to do is sign your image with text, you could used the text tool repeatedly, but I prefer to just have a finished logo I can paste in at will. I save this file at a couple different resolutions from about 72-100 dpi for online images to 300-1200 dpi for print publications.

When editing a file for sharing, I crop, scale and otherwise adjust the image until I'm happy with it, then I use the add layer feature to create a space to receive the signature file. The new layer allows me to play with the signature after the fact without having to worry about screwing up the main image.

I paste in the copy of the sig file with the resolution that most closely matches that of the base image, position it to my liking, and maybe play with opacity.

Then I just save as PNG. This will flatten (merge all the layers together) the image automatically.

I'm sure there are other ways of getting from A to B, but this is the path that works for me (not that I'm an expert by any means…)

I know a lot of people will disagree with me here, but the free GIMP software is more than capable of this and a lot more.

Gimp is great, most people don't really need more than that. It's very full featured.

DaFont.com is a good place for fonts.

.... then I use the add layer feature to create a space to receive the signature file. The new layer allows me to play with the signature after the fact without having to worry about screwing up the main image.

Save a step and just cut your signature and paste it as a new layer to create the new layer automatically.