MTM

level crossing - 33 degrees

Hi guys and girls,

today I will show you my newest project: It's a road crossing a railroad in 33 degrees:

4318-1439380304.jpg

This moc is a part of my modular railroad system, called LEN, and it's a attempt to build some parts of a railroad. Even module is'nt really deep, but a lot of modules could be a very long railroad.

The LEN-standard is close to the polish system by papagras.

Here you can find the first idea and there a very good resume of the discussions (sorry, it's in german). The most important information is:

The train track is in a high of 4 plates.

But:

Back to the level crossing.

The main idea was to build a level crossing, without an angle of 90 degrees between road and train track. So I tried to build it different. The road is build as a copplestone-road with a half stud-wide different between the 1x1 parts in each line.

4318-1439380798.jpg4318-1439380816.jpg4318-1439380834.jpg

I use these dark gray slopes (double cheese sloepe) to gave the diagional road a straight end. They're also use at the other side next to the train track.

4318-1439381025.jpg

To build the road, I needet nearly 2200 1x1 tiles in dark bluish gray. Also I "plant" 1000 crops.

4318-1439380688.jpg4318-1439380704.jpg

Normally the level crossing need 12V to flash the lights. A my pictures I forgot to build the cable. They are lay down under the train track.

And sometimes, strange things will happend in this area. I think, it's a very lonely landscape.

4318-1439381178.jpg

I hope, you're enjoy and I'm glad about comments and critics.

MTM

Edited by MTM

OMG, all those 1x1 tiles! So the road just floats on the light bley 2x2 tiles below? I really like the overall look, very impressive. The only "suggestion" I have is to finish the balasting of the track itself.

Hi, thanks for comments.

The size of the module is:

176 studs long and 64 studs wide. This is one module. You can't break it in smaller parts.

But I have more modules (not so long, mostly 64 studs long) and I can combine they today to a 5m long landscape.

MTM

It is not easy to move If the size is too large, I think 48x48 is better because largest baseplate is that size so that it is stable:)

It's difficult to break the level crossing in more parts, because the diagonally road.

The module lay on a wooden board. So it's easy to move with two persons.

MTM

It's really nice - the module size is fine, as most train LUGs use some standard size that is greater than a single baseplate (usually based on a fairly portable table size).

The technique to make the road diagonally cross the tracks is extremely impressive!

I don't mind not seeing ballast on the track - it seems to add a lot of detail that can overwhelm the rest of the MOC; the ballasting I've seen done is usually too noisy.

If I were to make any constructive criticism, it's that, while the field is really neat (and it's always cool getting an "easter egg" in there), the rest of the natural surroundings seem really tame in comparison to how nicely detailed the road and field are. In other words, I'd bulk it up with a lot more foliage, maybe adding some more (smaller) brick built trees.

Edited by fred67

Oh wow! That is an incredible amount of work but it looks fantastic. You've taken an incredible amount of effort to reproduce a common and quiet little scene (well, maybe the aliens aren't that common). Great work!

Hi.

Thanks of all. I'm very proud to read all this nice comments.

@fred67: Of course, the trees are too simple, but part-builded trees are very complex for me and they're mostly very unstable. So I decide to use the good old firs and apple trees. I like they.

@Taz35: There aren't pictures of the other modules. The problem is, I have not enough space to take a photo into my flat. But I will show them in another threads, when I got some pictures. Today I could show you the "scrapyard in autumn".

MTM

Edited by MTM

Hi guys and girls,

today I will show you my newest project: It's a road crossing a railroad in 33 degrees [...]

Nice! Looks very close up the tracks, which a lot of techniques seem to leave behind.

Crops look great too.

Cleverly done. I really liked it.

And this can be done?

Quick aside, so as not to derail this topic: not with standard LEGO track parts as far as I'm aware (although maybe this approach with flex tracks could work well enough?), but a few people have experimented with cutting rails to make more prototypical track configurations (see this Brickshelf album for inspiration and Michael Gale's work on Flickr with custom track)

Hope that helps!

Quick aside, so as not to derail this topic: not with standard LEGO track parts as far as I'm aware (although maybe this approach with flex tracks could work well enough?), but a few people have experimented with cutting rails to make more prototypical track configurations (see this Brickshelf album for inspiration and Michael Gale's work on Flickr with custom track)

Hope that helps!

or ...

diamond_crossing_x4_pov.png

Edited by djm

On 8/20/2015 at 5:17 PM, djm said:

or ...

diamond_crossing_x4_pov.png

looks good i believe it would be easier to incorporate 90 degree crossings into a layout