Sign in to follow this  
GREG998

[MOC] Porsche 917K 1971

Wow...That's an impressive build, nice job. Will have to check out your Lego Ideas project too. Thanks for sharing.

Fantastic model! Pretty sure I had this one (or something very similar) as well for my Scalextric back in the day. Loved it, because it looked like a fighter jet with those dual tail fins! :laugh:

Really great model, the details are outstanding, and the stickers really make it something special! :thumbup:

Thanks for your comments :)

Just discovered Lego will make a speed champions 917 in 2016 :)

Set 75876: "Porsche 919 hybrid and Porsche 917K pit lane".

This is awesome! I like detailed body and chassis so much, and coolest thing is that air intake propeller :thumbup: Stickers are very nice too :classic:

The day Lego produces enough parts in pink, i could build the 917/20 wide body "Pink Pig":

800px-Porsche_917-20_Pink_Pig_Sau_1971_frontright_2009-03-14_A.jpg

Same thing for light blue parts and the Gulf team (John Wyer Racing):

4375843268_4a94c637b5_o.jpg

Edited by GREG998

Very nice! :thumbup: Not only the 1971 winner, it also set a distance record that stood until 2010.

Why did you use a different number?

Edited by Richie

Thanks Richie :)

Race number on my cars are applied following order of construction.

In this cas, it is my 27th big scale car. But, this time, it bears number 22 for Lego Ideas.

2038049-o_19s4a6dh01njhpg217m970v1pkn7-full.JPG

Edited by GREG998

Great looking MOC. I registered to Lego Ideas to give this a vote. The other liveries (models?) look great as well :thumbup:

Just a thought, would it be possible to make https://en.wikipedia...iki/Nissan_R90C ?

Thank you very much Legocube, i appreciate.

Gr.C Nissan are of course considered to be built, especially R90/R92 versions.

There were several versions of the 917, here is an exhaustiv listing of them:

http://962group.com/...y/917/index.htm

The most famous are in my opinion the "K" (1970 and 1971) and the 917/30 Biturbo Canam.

The 1973 917/30 Biturbo, 1400 Bhp monster!

17fyymvfv9ey1jpg.jpg

Edited by GREG998

Very interesting. I am now curious how that arch around the "cockpit" was done... Lot's of interesting techniques around. I am still struggling with technic panels :grin:

Edited by LegoCube

Thank you very much Legocube, i appreciate.

Gr.C Nissan are of course considered to be built, especially R90/R92 versions.

There were several versions of the 917, here is an exhaustiv listing of them:

http://962group.com/...y/917/index.htm

The most famous are in my opinion the "K" (1970 and 1971) and the 917/30 Biturbo Canam.

The 1973 917/30 Biturbo, 1400 Bhp monster!

*snip*

there are reports that in highest HP tune it was making 1580HP but they rarely ran it in that form to protect the internal components of the engine! but the most insane power fact is its power to weight ratio.... 1967.36 bhp/ton in qualifying tuneand 1369.68 bhp/ton in race tune (for reference the Caparo T1 which is the highest power to weight road legal car in the world is only 1025bhp/ton) as for your build amazing! I've supported it on ideas, and if you didn't read already the speed champions sets will include a 917 in one of next years sets :)

Thanks for your support Gallardo :)

I can't wait to see the 917 by the lego group!

According to Mark Donohue, The 917/30 with full boost was something "from another world". The fact is the turbo set up of the 917/30 had almost no turbo-lag. Hence, the HUGE power was usable almost carefreely.

Strassenversion? You mean there was a street-legal version of one of the most brute, unforgiving race cars ever created? Cool! 140,000 DM, how much € would that be today? :laugh:

Yes, there was a street version of the car...at least some have been converted.

When presented in 1969 at Geneva, it was shown as a "Street legalisable" car.....but TUV never gave agreement to the 917 so these cars obtained their documents in some tortuous ways.

In fact, a very few 917 became street cars (as far as i know 3 of them).

The most "famous" is the Chassis 917/030:

75road30.jpg

2.jpg

A former Martini Racing Team car:

030%20-%20ZELTWEG%201971.jpg

140,000 DM, how much € would that be today?

140000 DM = 77000 euros....but taking account of the inflation, if a 917-like car would be for sale today, it would cost around 700 000 euros.

Basicaly, a 918 :)

Edited by GREG998

Yes! There are several replica builders providing really good replicas of the real thing: RCR, Bailey (represented by TWRR in Europe), Werkzcars.

Even if their chassis can sometimes be fitted with the original Flat12, most of them run flat6 air-cooled (turbo or N/A).

These replicas are expensive but far less than a real one and an effort is provided about security (a concept almost inexistant in racecar conception at the time of the real 917).

The werkzcars site:

http://www.werkzcars.com/