legoman19892

what would it take to cut out LEGO from your life?

Dire financial need.. or a really really good price. I can always use the money to buy newer sets. I'm only ever attached to one set that I'll never sell, my PR, because of memories.

Stop all LEGO related viewing? When I enter another dark age, of course. In college at the moment, I forsee it happening soon enough. But I will try my best to balance my life and my hobby.

Edited by santaends

Well, if I ever find a satisfactory 1960 thunderbird ('square bird'), that would probably put Lego on the back burner for a while. I just got into Lego a few years ago. While I like it, the lack of so very few true AFOL sets may eventually result in a total lack of interest on my part.

Same here. My 64 Impala on the road as a daily driver.

Any financial issue would make me sell most of my lego, other than that, death or a nuclear apocalypse.

Edited by TheLazyChicken

This is an interesting thread. Being old, I can tell you that interests change, evolve during the course of a lifetime. Many will leave the hobby for other interests. Times change. People change. Interests change. If you told me 40 years ago I would no longer be interested in what I was interested in back then, I wouldn't have imagined that was possible. Nothing forced me out of what I was interested in way back when. But, I saw other things, developed different interests and moved off down other roads. Those old interests weren't bad, it was just time to move on. I've known very few who moved on to different hobbies because of being forced to do so (financial problems, illness). They simply moved on to explore other territories. And, that's not a bad thing or a knock on the old hobby/interest.

Edited by Off the wall

That's a very good point and probably why most people have at least one 'dark age'. It may not necessarily be a lack of interest, but perhaps a higher priority of other things that leads to one being neglected. I used to have an old land rover that I loved and spent large quantities of time and money on. However with changes in legislation, dwindling parts supply and demands from a growing family, it became a better proposition to get rid of it. It didn't necessarily mean i'd lost interest at the time but with a long enough absence you no longer look forward to the idea like you used to.

I expect that when my children hit their dark ages in about 12 years, I will move on to other things. Will I still be MOCing when I'm 60? 70? 80? 90? Maybe....I think other stuff will take priority though.

What would it take? Complete loss of my collection (be it via fire, theft, or a subterranean monster sick of eating rocks, and lives in a cave that happens to be directly under my LEGO Room). Any surviving pieces will most likely be sold on Bricklink or given away. Any money gained will go toward my woodworking hobby, and will focus more on that.

I have to admit a lot it is down to LEGO's strategies. If they ever hit as low as they did in their years of chrisis in the late 90's with those gigantic blocks, i'd be ready to sell.

Edited by Sven F