jantjeuh

[HELP] How to Sell my entire Technic Collection?

Due to circumstances I've decided to sell my entire Technic collection (all sets + loose parts + boxes + instructions + storage units, etc.). Does anyone have any idea how to best approach this daunting task? Should I sell sets and rare parts separate from the rest of the loose parts?

I tried searching for a general topic regarding selling on this subforum (I thought there was one?), but didn't have any luck.

Edited by jantjeuh

I believe selling them separately (sets) would be a better idea, I have seen collections on ebay listed for thousands of dollars that never sell. It really must be a dire situation you are in, I feel really sorry for you :cry_sad:

Yeah, it's a rather large collection (25K+ parts), with a lot of rare and expensive stuff (black 19L soft axles! PP tyres!), so it's kind of complicated. I do have up-to-date BrickStore and Rebrickable inventory files though, that should help I guess.

Edited by jantjeuh

You would make more money if you sold your items individually. - but that would probably take you years.

personally I would do the following...

sell off rare parts with common parts in bulk lots.. maybe all the black soft axles together..

sell older sets as complete units.. take the time to photograph and describe these well to increase your chances of a sale

then bulk lot the rest, bulk lot instruction books as well

put reserves on the rarer stuff but be realistic or they wont sell at all.

good luck and save at least one set :)

Alright. Here's a link to the full parts list (including sets, excluding boxes and sticker sheets) in BrickStock format: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

The total number of parts is 26903, total value according to BL is $7K. Some more information to pre-empt further PMs:

Sets included

• 1 x 8461 ‘Williams F1 Racer’ (no sticker sheet, no box)
  • 1 x 8053 ‘Mobile Crane’
  • 2 x 8043 ‘Motorized Excavator’
  • 1 x 8110 ‘Unimog U400’
  • 1 x 8265 ‘Front Loader’
  • 1 x 8297 ‘Off Roader’
  • 1 x 8448 ‘Super Street Sensation’ (no sticker sheet, no box)
  • 1 x 8466 ‘4 x 4 Off Roader’ (no sticker sheet, no box)
  • 1 x 8475 ‘RC Race Buggy’ (no sticker sheet, no box)
  • 1 x 9398 ‘4 x 4 Crawler’
  • 1 x 42020 ‘Twin Rotor Helicopter’ (no sticker sheet, no box)
  • 1 x 42021 ‘Snowmobile’ (no sticker sheet)
  • 1 x 42031 ‘Cherry Picker’
  • 1 x 42038 ‘Arctic Truck’

Rare and expensive parts

Ordered by average BL price.

• 2 x 84599 Light Bluish Gray ‘Electric 9V Battery Box Power Functions Rechargeable’
  • 1 x 6272c01 Black ‘Electric RC Race Buggy Battery’
  • 1 x 5282 Black ‘Electric RC Controller Race Buggy’
  • 3 x 5292 ‘Electric RC Race Buggy Motor’
  • 4 x 32235 Black ‘Hose, Soft Axle 19L’
  • 2 x 70644 ‘Technic Hook Large Metal’
  • 4 x 32298 Black ‘Tyre Technic Power Puller’
  • 2 x 58123bc01 LBG ‘Power Functions Receiver v2’
  • 1 x 99498c01 LBG ‘Power Functions Servo Motor’
  • 1 x bb527 ‘Power Functions Adapter/Transformer’
  • 4 x 58123c01 ‘Power Functions Receiver v1’
  • 4 x 58121c01 ‘Power Functions XL Motor’
  • 4 x 58088 Pearl Light Gray ‘Wheel Cover 7 Spoke’
  • 4 x 22969 Metalloic Silver ‘Wheel Technic Racing Large’
  • 5 x 99499c01 ‘Power Functions L Motor’
  • 1 x 67c01 White ‘Pneumatic Air Tank’
  • 4 x 53178 Yellow ‘Pneumatic Cylinder Bracket’
  • 10 x 58120c01 ‘Power Functions M Motor’
  • 7 x 32201 Red ‘Hose, Soft Axle 14L’

And a lot more rare and/or expensive parts! Liftarms in rare colours, bushes in rare colours, axles in rare colours, etc. Furthermore, lots of expertly chromed parts, including wheels and rims. Feel free to ask for specifics.

Sets and MOCs you can build with this collection

Basically, any Technic set from about 2005 until 2015 (except the 2015 2H sets) can be completely built using this collection of parts (minus some stickers ofcourse), though ofcourse not necessarily all at the same time (except for the sets mentioned above).

Furthermore, the following popular MOCs can be built 100% (verified with Rebrickable) with this parts collection:

• Almost all of Crowkillers’ MOCs (including the expensive black Vampire GT!)
  • All of Madoka’s MOCs (including the Wing Body Truck and Tatra Trial Truck)
  • Almost all of Jurgen Krooshoop’s MOCs (including the Back Hoe Loader, Ultimate 42009 and Ultimate 8043)
  • Almost all of Designer-Han’s MOCs (including Dragline Crane, Stone Trailer Truck, Articulated Hauler, Prinoth Leitwolf)
  • A lot more! Searching for MOCs to build on Rebrickable yields more than 200 pages of results.

Edited by jantjeuh

What is the price for the 8043 motorized excavator ?( always wanted one but sadly the prices are just too high :look: )

Edited by LXF

Oh MAN! I just bought some power functions and I dont want to spend anymore money this month :cry2::cry3::cry_sad:

I believe I've seen a few people on the Dutch LUG (LowLUG) selling complete collections succesfully. I don't know though if I remember it correctly and if it's still allowed in the selling section of that forum.

About selling a collection in general, either in sets or all at once: it depends if you want "quick" money, or "more" money. If you sell all sets at once (if you'll find a seller), you're done in a relative quick timeframe. If you sell everything set by set, it might take more time to sell everything (and it might even be very difficult to sell some sets, you never know), but you might end up with more money in the end.

Just wondering though (you don't have to go into detail), are you selling it because you don't want it anymore, or you need the money for something more important?

Yea.... I think you are asking the wrong question. I think we all know the best way to sell your items.... or at least the way to make the most money. Individually. As a BL store owner for years, as well as a frequent forum BL poster and browser, generally it is pretty well accepted that parting out sets as opposed to selling whole sets yields more money. However, it is so much more work. Not only in terms of parting and organizing everything..... but it is harder to fill hundreds of different orders for separate parts opposed to a few, very large orders.

Your question really should be, how much time and effort do you want to put into selling your sets. I assume you are a pretty avid fan, and selling your sets only because you absolutely have to. Therefore, time and effort likely are not your allies in your circumstance. And that, my friend, may be your answer.

Sorry to hear that you must sale. I agree with the previous statement about fast money vs more money. Finding an AFOL that can afford the collection AND does not already have part of it is going to be hard. In order to get someone like me to buy another 8043 or MKII it would have to be at a deep discount. Plus if you sale on an auction site you have to pay an additional 10% or so fee. I hope you can afford to sale them off as sets as to retain most of your invesrtment. One of the ways I justify the cost of this hobby is that there is a value of the sets on the collectors market, but I have always considered the fact that I may never get what the "market" claims them to be worth. Maybe you will find a local buyer so you can avoid shipping.

Good Luck!!!

I believe I've seen a few people on the Dutch LUG (LowLUG) selling complete collections succesfully. I don't know though if I remember it correctly and if it's still allowed in the selling section of that forum.

Ah, good idea. I'd much prefer selling the entire collection at once, instead of parting out sets or shipping individual parts, etc.

Just wondering though (you don't have to go into detail), are you selling it because you don't want it anymore, or you need the money for something more important?

Both really :classic: I need some money in the short term (moving into new appartment etc.), and I've kind of lost interest in Lego Technic. Found some new (expensive) hobbies instead :laugh:

How much? Probably wont buy it, just curious lol

I think a conservative estimate of the worth of everything together would be € 4-5K , but I'm willing to go much lower if people buy the entire collection at once (and come pick it up).

Edited by jantjeuh

Sad to see you go-- Will you still continue frequent the forums here and work on Rebrickable etc? Or are you leaving Lego completely and for good?

As for your collection, it can be really really hard to find the right buyer. The ideal buyer would be someone like yourself, really :classic: I believe we all here know the value of such a collection, but it is still a whole lot of money to dish out at once!

Personally I'd try to sell the sets individually, and possibly some complete MOCs, if there is a market for that. As I understand it, the Dutch Technic market is fairly good, so if you need to get money fast, I'd but them on eBay or marktplatz or whatever for 10-20% less than the going price at the moment, and you should see them disappear quickly.

For the parts, well, it all depends on how much time you have :sweet:

I definitely see some parts on your list that I'd be very interested in that I don't already own at :wink:

Sorry to hear this and sad to see you go. I would be interested in a few of your items and can send a PM, but where are you located?

I can only really echo what has already been said; if you need the cash quickly and with relatively little fuss - I know how stressful moving can be - then selling complete sets and MOCs would be the best way to go, leaving any spare/"common" parts to be sold in bundles or lots. There is also the question of whether you are willing to sell at a discount to get things shifted quicker. This might be something to think about for the rare parts instead of (for instance) using the BL average and waiting a few weeks for a sale. If I may say so you're lucky to be Dutch because in my experience there is a very good market in Holland for Lego, including Technic, which you will of course know more about than I do.

I am interested in much, much more than my wallet could handle (a sign of a superbly curated collection :wink: ) so I'll have to take a good look at the BSX file before I commit to anything. From the initial list though, I'd be interested in any of 8043, 8475, 42038, the air tank, the electric parts and rare wheels. I'll also add myself to the list of people who would like to know how P&P would be handled for international buyers.

I'll miss your very speedy Rebrickable updates, but I hope the move goes well and that your new hobby gives you as much pleasure as Lego did. May I ask what this new expensive hobby is?

Edited by Jay Psi

I am pretty sure that you can sell most of your collection here on EB. Many AFOLs will be interested in it.

I sell Lego stuff from time to time, and I didn't not resort to ebay for quite some time now. TechLUG is enough, altough it is way smaller than EB.

So I am confident that you can sell it on EB easily and quickly.

What is the price for the 8043 motorized excavator ?( always wanted one but sadly the prices are just too high :look: )

i parted mone out, i bought all the parts brand new....the only thing i have left to buy are the motors.

i agree a new set, even used sets, are too expensive....that is why i thin its more feasible to buy in the parts and do it that way.

Alright. Here's a link to the full parts list (including sets, excluding boxes and sticker sheets) in BrickStock format: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

The total number of parts is 26903, total value according to BL is $7K. Some more information to pre-empt further PMs:

Sets included

• 1 x 8461 ‘Williams F1 Racer’ (no sticker sheet, no box)
  • 1 x 8053 ‘Mobile Crane’
  • 2 x 8043 ‘Motorized Excavator’
  • 1 x 8110 ‘Unimog U400’
  • 1 x 8265 ‘Front Loader’
  • 1 x 8297 ‘Off Roader’
  • 1 x 8448 ‘Super Street Sensation’ (no sticker sheet, no box)
  • 1 x 8466 ‘4 x 4 Off Roader’ (no sticker sheet, no box)
  • 1 x 8475 ‘RC Race Buggy’ (no sticker sheet, no box)
  • 1 x 9398 ‘4 x 4 Crawler’
  • 1 x 42020 ‘Twin Rotor Helicopter’ (no sticker sheet, no box)
  • 1 x 42021 ‘Snowmobile’ (no sticker sheet)
  • 1 x 42031 ‘Cherry Picker’
  • 1 x 42038 ‘Arctic Truck’

Rare and expensive parts

Ordered by average BL price.

• 2 x 84599 Light Bluish Gray ‘Electric 9V Battery Box Power Functions Rechargeable’
  • 1 x 6272c01 Black ‘Electric RC Race Buggy Battery’
  • 1 x 5282 Black ‘Electric RC Controller Race Buggy’
  • 3 x 5292 ‘Electric RC Race Buggy Motor’
  • 4 x 32235 Black ‘Hose, Soft Axle 19L’
  • 2 x 70644 ‘Technic Hook Large Metal’
  • 4 x 32298 Black ‘Tyre Technic Power Puller’
  • 2 x 58123bc01 LBG ‘Power Functions Receiver v2’
  • 1 x 99498c01 LBG ‘Power Functions Servo Motor’
  • 1 x bb527 ‘Power Functions Adapter/Transformer’
  • 4 x 58123c01 ‘Power Functions Receiver v1’
  • 4 x 58121c01 ‘Power Functions XL Motor’
  • 4 x 58088 Pearl Light Gray ‘Wheel Cover 7 Spoke’
  • 4 x 22969 Metalloic Silver ‘Wheel Technic Racing Large’
  • 5 x 99499c01 ‘Power Functions L Motor’
  • 1 x 67c01 White ‘Pneumatic Air Tank’
  • 4 x 53178 Yellow ‘Pneumatic Cylinder Bracket’
  • 10 x 58120c01 ‘Power Functions M Motor’
  • 7 x 32201 Red ‘Hose, Soft Axle 14L’

And a lot more rare and/or expensive parts! Liftarms in rare colours, bushes in rare colours, axles in rare colours, etc. Furthermore, lots of expertly chromed parts, including wheels and rims. Feel free to ask for specifics.

Sets and MOCs you can build with this collection

Basically, any Technic set from about 2005 until 2015 (except the 2015 2H sets) can be completely built using this collection of parts (minus some stickers ofcourse), though ofcourse not necessarily all at the same time (except for the sets mentioned above).

Furthermore, the following popular MOCs can be built 100% (verified with Rebrickable) with this parts collection:

• Almost all of Crowkillers’ MOCs (including the expensive black Vampire GT!)
  • All of Madoka’s MOCs (including the Wing Body Truck and Tatra Trial Truck)
  • Almost all of Jurgen Krooshoop’s MOCs (including the Back Hoe Loader, Ultimate 42009 and Ultimate 8043)
  • Almost all of Designer-Han’s MOCs (including Dragline Crane, Stone Trailer Truck, Articulated Hauler, Prinoth Leitwolf)
  • A lot more! Searching for MOCs to build on Rebrickable yields more than 200 pages of results.

i agree with others...if you are willing to take a hit on the price of the rare parts they will sell...people love a bargain and they find the money.

as for the complete sets....again it will all come down to price. you will probably sell everything quickly if you are willing to take a major hit on price and not seek to get BL prices.

I think a conservative estimate of the worth of everything together would be € 4-5K , but I'm willing to go much lower if people buy the entire collection at once (and come pick it up).

I have no euros....And I'm only a teen who makes 5$ a week. :P

I had a great idea, is there Craigslist in the Netherlands?

Edited by Block_Smarts Lego Technic

I'm only a teen who makes 5$ a week. :P

I'm a teen who makes $10 a week :P

Edited by JJ2

I might get a raise if I stop being lasy. Crap! Gotta go do it now!!!

My job is taking care of chickens :sick: I can tell you they STINK!