Gearslover01

Winter Village Sets - Rumours and Discussion

You could argue that there are five stores in Boston, a the is a LEGOLAND Discovery Centre, which has a store you can go in without a ticket, and also had a Pick a Brick wall and BAM station.

It's actually the one closest to the centre of Boston, and you want to take the orange line T to it.

13 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

You could argue that there are five stores in Boston, a the is a LEGOLAND Discovery Centre, which has a store you can go in without a ticket, and also had a Pick a Brick wall and BAM station.

It's actually the one closest to the centre of Boston, and you want to take the orange line T to it.

Boston is sure lucky! It seems it’s more easy for Lego fans to go to these stores in the city than my location here in southern PA. 

I used to live in Rochester NY and they have a store just south of the city. It was really nice being closer but still took 45 minutes to go 13-15 miles on a bus. I never understood that. It was a straight line and no one ever really used it.

I really want a Mrs. Claus.

If you do go to Boston the Natick Mall has a store and is the oddest mall I've ever been to. There are condos and a Wegmans so you never have to leave the building. Half the people are wearing clothing that costs more than I make in a year and the other half are wearing ripped PJs.

We only have 3 (4 if you include a Lego Discovery Centre) in the Toronto region - and none downtown (where I work, before WFH), which is annoying.  I am half an hour (on a good day, which by Toronto standards is never) away from the closest one.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

It seems there is more than just 1 one of the cancelled GWP sets on the streets because another just showed up on IG

Lets hope for a review soon

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

It seems there is more than just 1 one of the cancelled GWP sets on the streets because another just showed up on IG

Lets hope for a review soon

Any idea what kind of cancelled GWP sets? Other than that living room, I mean. 

17 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Any idea what kind of cancelled GWP sets? Other than that living room, I mean. 

I assumed they meant another copy of the same cancelled set (Santa's Living Room), rather than an entirely different set that was also cancelled.

Brick Fanatics has an new article with additional shots of the GWP:

https://www.brickfanatics.com/cancelled-lego-xmas-set-problematic-print/

The theory that it is canned because the names on the naughty list are visible - and can upset kids with the same names - makes more sense than canning it simply because there is a naughty list.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

That makes more sense.

LEGO is really a horrible incapable company. Why not just use scribbles for the names? LEGO got rid of any letters on the keyboard piece, the same should be for all LEGO pieces because LEGO is a universal toy.

13 hours ago, Maple said:

LEGO is really a horrible incapable company.

I mean one might say they've put various layers of fail safes in place to ensure customer satisfaction and the ONLY reason we know about this is from leaks. Everyone needs to stop feeling so slighted and aggrieved. Hopefully it's released with a modified version of the print.

Edited by CDM

Just now, CDM said:

I mean one might say they they've put various layers of fail safes in place to ensure customer satisfaction and the ONLY reason we know about this is from leaks. Everyone needs to stop feeling so slighted and aggrieved. Hopefully it's released with a modified version of the print.

That's true for the Christmas GWP, but not for several other sets that have been cancelled in the last year or so. The City bomb factory hideout was shown in promotional images in the instructions of other sets, then cancelled. The Marvel mechs were announced, and then cancelled. The Osprey was delivered to some independent retailers and then cancelled. I appreciate the fail safes and think they're great to ensure product quality and protect brand image. But they should probably come earlier in the process. To be fair though, in the grand scheme of things, it's a minor PR blip. It's just magnified in places like this forum. 99% of LEGO fans don't know and don't care.

22 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

...in the grand scheme of things, it's a minor PR blip. It's just magnified in places like this forum. 99% of LEGO fans don't know and don't care.

Exactly.

Honestly TLG should just release it as a paid set - I am sure AFOLs would just snap it up anyways (I know I would), and it eliminates the problem of wastage (assuming the sets are already made anyways).  They can release a corrected version next year or skip it entirely.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

I don't care about the set, but I need that Mrs. Claus! Such an improvement over the Santa Village set years ago.

12 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

That's true for the Christmas GWP, but not for several other sets that have been cancelled in the last year or so. The City bomb factory hideout was shown in promotional images in the instructions of other sets, then cancelled. The Marvel mechs were announced, and then cancelled. The Osprey was delivered to some independent retailers and then cancelled. I appreciate the fail safes and think they're great to ensure product quality and protect brand image. But they should probably come earlier in the process. To be fair though, in the grand scheme of things, it's a minor PR blip. It's just magnified in places like this forum. 99% of LEGO fans don't know and don't care.

Exactly. This isn't just a recent problem either. There was TMNT set that had to be redone in the middle of production, there was an Antman set that was the same. The most famous for me wouldn't be the Osprey which was insane, but Wall-e. Like they made a set that couldn't hold up the eyes well? No one checked?!

So my issue isn't that this set was canceled, it's more of a trend that LEGO should have fixed years and years ago.

To be fair, the event that lead to the bomb factory cancellation happened too close to the release for it to be stopped before it got as far as it did.

Same with the Osprey, the push from whatever groups pushed against it didn't come until it was close to release and lots of copies had been sent to stores.

18 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

100% agreed.

10 hours ago, jonwil said:

To be fair, the event that lead to the bomb factory cancellation happened too close to the release for it to be stopped before it got as far as it did.

Same with the Osprey, the push from whatever groups pushed against it didn't come until it was close to release and lots of copies had been sent to stores.

The Osprey being a military thing wasn't even the main issue. The gears of the set were being stressed and breaking. Brickset has yet another set were the pieces do not connect correctly and are under stress which will most likely lead to cracks.

There is a Lego resale shop in my town that currently has a Winter Village on display. I think the way they incorporated the Gingerbread House into the layout is brilliant.

The center of the layout has a Christmas market theme that includes the carousel, food booths, an ice skating rink, the large GWP Christmas tree, and a gingerbread house attraction.

Here is how they staged the gingerbread house attraction:

-booth in front of the big house where visitors can buy tickets for the Gingerbread House attraction.

-Fences surround the 3 houses (the 2018 house and the 2 small GWP houses).

-On the big house, baker minifigure are standing on ladders putting the finishing touches on the house.

-The Gingerbread man and woman are placed in front of the big tree a props for a photo opportunity. A photographer is taking pictures with the visitors to the attraction.

It is very clever and well done. 

Edited by Tinkfan
clarify

I do not know when will be a “leak” season for Winter Village and i’m quite looking forward for it! I think September will be when a next Winter Village will be revealed like last year. 

But this is a different topic I’m going to say - I kinda hope we will see Halloween-themed village for Halloween lovers. I know Halloween is the second popular holiday, following Christmas.  We could swap some colors & parts and add trick-or-treaters but I till think Halloween/autumn lineup would be cool. 

8 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I do not know when will be a “leak” season for Winter Village and i’m quite looking forward for it! I think September will be when a next Winter Village will be revealed like last year. 

But this is a different topic I’m going to say - I kinda hope we will see Halloween-themed village for Halloween lovers. I know Halloween is the second popular holiday, following Christmas.  We could swap some colors & parts and add trick-or-treaters but I till think Halloween/autumn lineup would be cool. 

Hear, hear! I would adore a Halloween village.

Ok, Santa’s Gingerbread House set (from DUPLO only) is revealed and will be released on September 1. 

I hope we will see more about the next Winter Village set!