Gearslover01

Winter Village Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Celtchief said:

Thanks for sharing that video conspiracy, it's very well done!  is that yours?  

Unfortunately, not :-) I just found it some time ago on YouTube and saved the link for future inspiration. It was done as a colab between two Australian AFOLs (Ryan Masters and Cherie Shields aka Aussie Chick Brick) for the Bricktober event in Perth, Australia in 2019.

There are some more pictures in the Flickr albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cherieshields/albums/72157711386933541 and here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bricktasticblog/albums/72157711359178868/

Edited by CoNSpiracy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2020 at 9:34 AM, Yellowturnip said:

Not sure if this has been already asked so apologies if it has but how does everyone else store their WV sets? For the past couple years I’ve kept most of them made up and carefully placed in a big plastic storage box together. But was thinking of storing them separately in shoe boxes or something similar. Grateful for any suggestions. Thanks 😊 

Hi Turnip, your getting lots of help!  I love Maniac’s routine of actually rebuilding each set every year, I just don’t have the energy or competent help to do that.  Sounds like a hoot though!

We use the Sterilite boxes suggested above so they stack easily.  They make a tall thin one that holds ones like the Gingerbread house and Fire Station, and more squat ones that hold ones like the Bakery and Workshop.   I’ve added some things, like I’ve winterized the Treehouse and I winterized the Disney Train Station and added them, but I have to get special boxes for them.  I’m finishing a train tunnel and snow hill this year (if I can make it!) and that is modular on 4 baseplates.  Need to find boxes for that.

Our tradition then becomes the assembly of the village, not the sets.  I set up 8, folding half card tables that have telescoping legs, set low.  We cover the tables in white cotton batting (I know I’m cheating, I just can’t justify covering the thing in baseplates), and I set up the 3 interlocking train loop tracks.  Then with whatever of my kids/grandkids are there we place the buildings.  Some have standard locations, others we change year over year.  The grandkids love the motion of 3 trains (2 winter Village and the Disney train) and I’ve got room for a lot more sets.

Assuming I get done the mountain/tunnel/ski hill (=survive), next year I was thinking about winterizing the Disney castle, but I wonder is the Hogwarts one wouldn’t look better covered in snow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CoNSpiracy said:

Unfortunately, not :-) I just found it some time ago on YouTube and saved the link for future inspiration. It was done as a colab between two Australian AFOLs (Ryan Masters and Cherie Shields aka Aussie Chick Brick) for the Bricktober event in Perth, Australia in 2019.

There are some more pictures in the Flickr albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cherieshields/albums/72157711386933541 and here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bricktasticblog/albums/72157711359178868/

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I tried to see if they had any and came up short. Is that a teleport in the one pic?! Absolutely love it!!!

 

4 hours ago, LifeLongBuilderJim said:

Hi Turnip, your getting lots of help!  I love Maniac’s routine of actually rebuilding each set every year, I just don’t have the energy or competent help to do that.  Sounds like a hoot though!

We use the Sterilite boxes suggested above so they stack easily.  They make a tall thin one that holds ones like the Gingerbread house and Fire Station, and more squat ones that hold ones like the Bakery and Workshop.   I’ve added some things, like I’ve winterized the Treehouse and I winterized the Disney Train Station and added them, but I have to get special boxes for them.  I’m finishing a train tunnel and snow hill this year (if I can make it!) and that is modular on 4 baseplates.  Need to find boxes for that.

Our tradition then becomes the assembly of the village, not the sets.  I set up 8, folding half card tables that have telescoping legs, set low.  We cover the tables in white cotton batting (I know I’m cheating, I just can’t justify covering the thing in baseplates), and I set up the 3 interlocking train loop tracks.  Then with whatever of my kids/grandkids are there we place the buildings.  Some have standard locations, others we change year over year.  The grandkids love the motion of 3 trains (2 winter Village and the Disney train) and I’ve got room for a lot more sets.

Assuming I get done the mountain/tunnel/ski hill (=survive), next year I was thinking about winterizing the Disney castle, but I wonder is the Hogwarts one wouldn’t look better covered in snow.

Yes I have loved reading everyone’s response and sharing their stories. I have to say I was really scared to ask as I’m pretty new to forums I wasn’t sure if anyone would even respond so I’m really grateful to all of you. Thank you ☺️ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yellowturnip said:

Yes I have loved reading everyone’s response and sharing their stories. I have to say I was really scared to ask as I’m pretty new to forums I wasn’t sure if anyone would even respond so I’m really grateful to all of you. Thank you ☺️ 

Don't be afraid to share or ask questions. I've always found the Winter Village forum to be full of like minded friendly people

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just keep my Winter Village built permanently as part of my city. Though it’s nothing compared to some of these; I only have the 2015 Toy Shop, Train Station and Fire Station, plus the Friends Ski Resort Chalet and a modified version of the Creator Expert 3-in-1 Ski House from a couple of years ago. (Actually I got a couple of other sets from that modular series and put them all together as a large house/sweet shop, and tweaked the roofs so that they were all covered in snow to match.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the storage ideas - It's starting to take a while to break down and rebuild all the sets each year.  I don't have a good space to fit everything together, so I usually set up the sets into three areas - the main "village", the fair (the winter carnival and the train/train station), and Santa's Village (I modified the gingerbread house to look like the Clause's residence).  I'm not super excited about an elf clubhouse, but will probably incorporate it into Santa's village (I'd prefer another village building).  We also get a Star Wars and Friends advent calendar each year - the kid's favorite thing is to hide each day's build somewhere in one of the three areas.  Some of them fit in so well, they become permanent additions the following year (the tree farm is now manned by Stormtroopers).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LifeLongBuilderJim said: I set up the 3 interlocking train loop tracks.  Then with whatever of my kids/grandkids are there we place the buildings. 

I love your tradition Jim!

I bag up my sets in ziplock bags, and gather smaller pieces into smaller bags and then carefully pack them all together into large plastic containers which sits above the wardrobes in my kids rooms.  I have collected pieces to create mils plates for my entire village but as of yet haven’t managed to start building. Have three kids at home for stage 4 lockdown at the moment so don’t get much time to myself but have been doing a bit of sorting so that I can hopefully start building soon.

Unfortunately I no longer can fit all the sets on the table space that I have, so from now on some will be left out each year. That’s ok I guess, it brings variety. 

I love winter village! It’s the theme that brought me out of my dark ages. I just love this aesthetic more than anything.
 

Looking forward to the reveal of this year’s set, and really hoping that for next year they return to real life village buildings.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, alsielou said:

I love winter village! It’s the theme that brought me out of my dark ages. I just love this aesthetic more than anything.
 

Looking forward to the reveal of this year’s set, and really hoping that for next year they return to real life village buildings.  

Agreed. Winter Village was what first got me into city building a couple of years ago. (Then I managed to get the Detective’s Office at 30% off as my first Modular Building, then they made the Sanctum Sanctorum and I just had to get it. Then I was looking at those together and thinking, “Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a road there?” and now I have five tables in the shed with a layout of more than sixty baseplates . . I guess you could say it snowballed. :P)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Agreed. Winter Village was what first got me into city building a couple of years ago. (Then I managed to get the Detective’s Office at 30% off as my first Modular Building, then they made the Sanctum Sanctorum and I just had to get it. Then I was looking at those together and thinking, “Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a road there?” and now I have five tables in the shed with a layout of more than sixty baseplates . . I guess you could say it snowballed. :P)

Detective office is what got me too.  Once we built that it the gates were opened.  

1 hour ago, alsielou said:

Looking forward to the reveal of this year’s set, and really hoping that for next year they return to real life village buildings.  

Yes, I am hoping TLG returns to more traditional sets too for the theme.  What we did last year (passed on the gingerbread house) was build our own set.  It was not as pretty as official set, but kids loved making it and that is what really matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LegoDW said:

Detective office is what got me too.  Once we built that it the gates were opened.  

Oh yeah? What have you put around it? I got it in about April 2018, right after the Downtown Diner was revealed, and resolved to match the aesthetic by putting the DO and DD right next to each other. But more important things kept coming up and I kept putting it off and . . well, there’s been an empty lot labelled ‘Reserved for Downtown Diner’ to the left of the Detective’s Office for more than two years now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Blackpool said:

Don't be afraid to share or ask questions. I've always found the Winter Village forum to be full of like minded friendly people

Thanks Blackpool yes I’m starting to feel this is a safe and welcoming place. Can I ask how you quote a section instead of the whole text? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yellowturnip said:

Thanks Blackpool yes I’m starting to feel this is a safe and welcoming place. Can I ask how you quote a section instead of the whole text? 

You just quote and then put the cursor inside it and delete the portions you don’t wish to include. That said I have trouble with the quotes when commenting using my mobile phone and even though I deleted only part of the quote I replied to above, the rest got deleted as well. So perhaps I’m not the best person to respond! Hopefully someone else knows a better trick!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, alsielou said:

You just quote and then put the cursor inside it and delete the portions you don’t wish to include.

😂 never thought to even try that doh. Ok here goes...

 

P.S thanks for sharing 😊

I loved the detectives office. Is it as good in real life as in the pictures? Hmm 🤔 maybe don’t answer that I will probably just sigh with regret. I haven’t brought any of the modulars even though they look absolutely beautiful I think I would be ridiculed by my friends. The first set I brought myself was in fact the WV toy shop. Year my daughter was born and decided it would be something for her, never realising it would then turn into a tradition. One I hope continues nudge nudge Lego 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Winter Vignette set appeared :

https://brickset.com/sets/40424-1

Imo this is pretty good, and makes up for a lackluster 2020 City Calendar, even if this repeats some things from previous sets, I do like how it fits in with previous sets in the City/Creator/Xtra and Winter Village.

40424-1.jpg?202008270409

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

New Winter Vignette set appeared :

https://brickset.com/sets/40424-1

Imo this is pretty good, and makes up for a lackluster 2020 City Calendar, even if this repeats some things from previous sets, I do like how it fits in with previous sets in the City/Creator/Xtra and Winter Village.

40424-1.jpg?202008270409

This might just be me, but I’m getting sudden Club Penguin flashback vibes from this set. Especially that little snow fort, that’s such a lovely design. It’s gorgeous and I can’t wait to put this in my Christmas square. 

Also, is that a trans blue 1x1 tooth? That’s awesome! I want so many of those!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2020 at 2:45 AM, alsielou said:

Looking forward to the reveal of this year’s set, and really hoping that for next year they return to real life village buildings.  

I can't agree more! WV is for me winter fun mainly in the winterly town itself and not fantasy stuff outside.

21 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

New Winter Vignette set appeared :

https://brickset.com/sets/40424-1

Imo this is pretty good, and makes up for a lackluster 2020 City Calendar, even if this repeats some things from previous sets, I do like how it fits in with previous sets in the City/Creator/Xtra and Winter Village.

Thanks for the informtion, TeriXeri!

20 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I like it, but I think the Halloween one was way better

Absolute agreement here. The snowfort is cool, but the hill is much too small and I don't need another snowman and minimalistic sleigh. But for kids for sure a nice set.

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the D2C Mos Eisley set is rumored to have an VIP early access in mid September, I dount that the Elf Clubhouse will have, too. And if the Elf Clubhouse was going to be released in the beginning of October with no VIP early access, we for sure will get pics firstly at the end of September - so in about one months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooh thanks for sharing TerriXeri. Well that’s another advent door sorted - build a fort! 

19 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

This might just be me, but I’m getting sudden Club Penguin flashback vibes from this set. Especially that little snow fort, that’s such a lovely design. 

Can I ask what a Club Penguin is?

 

Also Not that I mind if our WV set this year is an Elf Clubhouse as my scene is set in the North Pole but I’m still struggling to believe it is going to be one. What does an elf clubhouse entail? If you forget the elf bit for a moment what is a clubhouse? I googled pictures and saw lots of golf/ spas/ restaurants etc. I then googled German Clubhouse and it translates to Klubhaus or something like that and that brings up hut, cottage, lodge, shack, pavillion. I know it’s probably me being crazy hoping here but Lego have just released that butter beer glass for the HP cmf. Could we dare to hope we might get that accessory or are they limited to the cmf? I was thinking a cute little lodge restaurant hotel??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I like it, but I think the Halloween one was way better

Totally agree. I do like the snow fort wall and the minifigures though. I think some of the prints are new

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I be a pain and also ask what the Halloween set is? I have the Monsters Haunted House which I make up for Halloween with some cmf trick or treaters and was hoping to add a bit more to the scene. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A nice little set. Not a great buy for a 'seasoned' veteran, but a great add on for someone starting.

Nice pieces for the snowman - a better build than most already released. More winter villagers are always nice, especially with hats, scarves and mitts.

While the sled and table are forgettable,  the play feature is nice and it is always great to have more snow builds. You can never have too much snow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2020 at 3:54 PM, TeriXeri said:

Imo this is pretty good, and makes up for a lackluster 2020 City Calendar, even if this repeats some things from previous sets, I do like how it fits in with previous sets in the City/Creator/Xtra and Winter Village.

Don't even get me started on this year's City Calendar. :facepalm: I see no play value in the micro builds now or when I was a kid. No rolling wheels, not able to seat minifigures, too big for me to really see them as the minifig's toys. What is the point? 2013 is one of my fav's with a great blend of useful city elements, festive winter elements, and microbuilds that were creative and usable. Not to mention that dalmatian piece :grin_wub:

23 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I like it, but I think the Halloween one was way better

I agree, affordable while also being great for both play and display with the tractor. I think this one would have been helped by replacing the sledding mountain thing with something else. Everything else looks pretty good though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.