Gearslover01

Winter Village Sets - Rumours and Discussion

As much as I'd like to see LEGO do a nice, big chalet-type building, I have to admit I'd be a bit pissed if that is this year's Winter Village set and ends up being twice as expensive as the previous ones. I personally like to think of the Winter Village as a great collectable one-set-a-year theme for people who can't afford the Modulars, so if they jack up the price on the Winter Village to twice the price, people collecting them might not be able to afford the newest addition.

I couldn't agree more. I think of the sets exactly the same way. And it's extremely unlikely that I will buy a new Winter Village set if it costs the same as the VW van or Helm's Deep. Sets in that range are my big, once a year purchases. There's no room in my budget for another one in that range. And I know many dedicated AFOLs actually do buy many more expensive sets than I do, but I suspect the Winter Village makes most of its sales from casual buyers, not superfans.

This would explain why the Post Office didn't sell as well as the first two sets, if in fact it didn't. That relatively small price bump pushes the set into the "big once a year" category for many casual fans and people who are buying for their children. A bigger price hike would make that even worse.

Also, speaking from an artistic perspective as a fan of Lego design, I think there's a lot more artistry involved in making a $60 set that is a small, well-crafted, complete building, than there is in making a $120 set that does the same job. Of course a chalet could be twice the size of a rural post office. And yes, you could pour in details until your piece count was the same as a modular building. But it's a lot cooler to see a $60 chalet that still has a beautiful design and character, and doesn't dwarf the buildings we already have.

I couldn't agree more. I think of the sets exactly the same way. And it's extremely unlikely that I will buy a new Winter Village set if it costs the same as the VW van or Helm's Deep. Sets in that range are my big, once a year purchases. There's no room in my budget for another one in that range. And I know many dedicated AFOLs actually do buy many more expensive sets than I do, but I suspect the Winter Village makes most of its sales from casual buyers, not superfans.

This would explain why the Post Office didn't sell as well as the first two sets, if in fact it didn't. That relatively small price bump pushes the set into the "big once a year" category for many casual fans and people who are buying for their children. A bigger price hike would make that even worse.

I agree. Though I will still buy a Winter Village set as long as it is less than $180, I would prefer for it to be around $60. :grin: Additionally, you are right about the reason why the last one didn't sell as much as the two before it. :thumbup:

Also, speaking from an artistic perspective as a fan of Lego design, I think there's a lot more artistry involved in making a $60 set that is a small, well-crafted, complete building, than there is in making a $120 set that does the same job. Of course a chalet could be twice the size of a rural post office. And yes, you could pour in details until your piece count was the same as a modular building. But it's a lot cooler to see a $60 chalet that still has a beautiful design and character, and doesn't dwarf the buildings we already have.

Look at the Modular series. First 5 hovered about the $150(US) mark and then here comes the Town Hall shot up $50. Sure, the piece count was more, but only buy a couple hundred than Green Grocer. If the 'large' winter set is reliable, then we can certainly expect a price hike. The only question will be, how much?

Also, I bought the Post Office just as quick as I did the Toy Shop and Bakery. Just sayin'.

I have heard all sort of rumours but I don't care what we get, so long as we get one as I like building something to display over the festive period.

I have a question.. Does anyone know if the Toy Shop has been permanently retired or if it will be (yet again) brought back into production at the end of the year? Has LEGO said anything about that?

To tie this into the thread, would anyone care to predict the likelyhood of the Toy Shop returning? :wink:

I have a question.. Does anyone know if the Toy Shop has been permanently retired or if it will be (yet again) brought back into production at the end of the year? Has LEGO said anything about that?

To tie this into the thread, would anyone care to predict the likelyhood of the Toy Shop returning? :wink:

1) LEGO hasn't said anything.

2) I predict that it is gone for good. I haven't seen it at the LEGO store since last Christmas, and it has been removed from S@H. If you really want it, now is the best time to get it second-hand, as it's cheap (since it's not Christmas time).

Hope I helped! :sweet:

Edited by just2good

Something X-mas based like... I'm not sure really :sweet:

Good thing were discussing a Winter Village set here, then, :laugh:

I hope they will not discontinue this collection or I would be pissed off.

No need to get pissed. The rumor is it will be bigger this year.

I predict that it will be a scrooge-like family house with scenery, so it will look cosey and warm!

Good thing were discussing a Winter Village set here, then, :laugh:

No need to get pissed. The rumor is it will be bigger this year.

I hope you are right. Bigger this year? Are we getting ski resort? :)

I was starting to guess at a Coffee Shop since TLG has a thing for coffee. I'll actually be looking to pick up the bakery next and see if they discount this years set early next year.

I don't know any details, but someone mentioned that they heard from someone that it's going to be bigger this year. It's back a few pages.

Well, I'm both excited and dismayed - excited that there is probably still going to be a new installment to the Winter Village this year, since I was worried that the Haunted House was going to supersede it, and dismayed at the news that it might be larger than previous offerings, once again, because of the Haunted House. I really want to get the HH as a display piece for Halloween (in a similar fashion to the Winter Village) but it's already a hefty price tag. If the next Winter Village set is anywhere near or beyond $100 it's going to be a hard sell to convince the missus to purchase both...

I hope they will not discontinue this collection or I would be pissed off.

Relax...its a plastic toy.

Well, I'm both excited and dismayed - excited that there is probably still going to be a new installment to the Winter Village this year, since I was worried that the Haunted House was going to supersede it, and dismayed at the news that it might be larger than previous offerings, once again, because of the Haunted House. I really want to get the HH as a display piece for Halloween (in a similar fashion to the Winter Village) but it's already a hefty price tag. If the next Winter Village set is anywhere near or beyond $100 it's going to be a hard sell to convince the missus to purchase both...

Wouldn't it be awesome if they provided a parts pack to winter-fy the Haunted House. Frost on railings, snow on headstones, Santa hats for the zombies, a tree trimmed with rats, etc.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Wouldn't it be awesome if they provided a parts pack to winter-fy the Haunted House. Frost on railings, snow on headstones, Santa hats for the zombies, a tree trimmed with rats, etc.

Yes! That's a brilliant idea. Spooky Black Christmas Tree and monster-appropriate presents. Love it!

If the next Winter Village set is anywhere near or beyond $100 it's going to be a hard sell to convince the missus to purchase both...

I agree! I was already planning on waiting for the Haunted House just because of the pricetag, but then I completely forgot about a new Winter Village set. I already don't know if I am able to budget for it anyway, even if it is bigger or the same price. TLG has too many sets out that I want.

Hope it would be a ski resort! Gets my vote. And if it was to be a ski resort then the village could grow around it, maybe meaning that the winter village would continue to expand, dispelling myths of it ending!

Hope it would be a ski resort! Gets my vote. And if it was to be a ski resort then the village could grow around it, maybe meaning that the winter village would continue to expand, dispelling myths of it ending!

I would be up for a ski resort. I just wished it would mean that they would give us a raised baseplate.

I would be up for a ski resort. I just wished it would mean that they would give us a raised baseplate.

I would also. A very large ski resort. Maybe a 2000+ piece set would be cool. :wink:

If the Winter Village set were, say expensive as the Haunted House, at least it would be equally as detailed. So, that's a plus.

When did we get news of 10222 last year?

If the Winter Village set were, say expensive as the Haunted House, at least it would be equally as detailed. So, that's a plus.

When did we get news of 10222 last year?

I posted the info in May last year!