Gearslover01

Winter Village Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Very likely. They already did a Gingerbread Man promo box so I dont think they will make another one. And the CMF line already had the gingerbread man

A Gingerbread house would be amazing

1 hour ago, Legocity2713 said:

Could be a gingerbread house? A couple of gingerbread people leaked. A man with a mustache and woman with a gingerbread skirt thats a recolor of Minnie’s.

Sure, especially if you consider the rejected LEGO Ideas project back from 2016. :shrug_oh_well:

I'm still going to hold out hope that we get a town hall set this year. This piece count (if it can be believed) being higher would seem to indicate either a larger set or more complicated one. Its kinda fun trying to play detective and figure things out this early in the game and a town hall or gingerbread house seem to be great possibilities. I wouldn't rule out a police station though. Would make sense after getting the fire station last year. 

Whatever it is, I just hope it's at a price point that I can justify spending on this year.

I have been thinking, though, that it might be interesting if they went in more of a fantasy direction every so often. I know people weren't crazy about Santa's Workshop, but I'm not sure whether it was the premise that bugged them or the actual design of the set. In any case, there are a lot more winter holiday fantasy concepts that could be explored--a gingerbread village, peppermint forest, ice palace populated by snowmen, etc.

Edited by Karalora

6 hours ago, Blackpool said:

我仍然希望今年有一个市政厅。这件数(如果可以相信)更高似乎表明更大的一组或更复杂的一组。尝试在游戏早期玩侦探和解决问题有点有趣,市政厅或姜饼屋似乎是很有可能。我不排除派出所。去年去消防局后会有意义。 

I don't think it will be the town hall. The town hall is a city building. It is not suitable for winter villages. But if it is a gingerbread house, it is really a disaster for collectors of winter villages!

According to the leaked gingerbread man, I am sorry to believe that this is probably a gingerbread house. But a gingerbread house is useless to collectors in winter villages, and it can't be coordinated. And more than 1,400 pieces are likely to be mostly small parts such as candy that make up the gingerbread house, which is also very disappointing. I hope that there will be a village hotel or village restaurant that feels both warm and retro. I have to say that the winter village series has started to decline since the Santa work room. Trains without passenger compartments and only half of the train stations are unsatisfactory. If this year's winter village theme is a gingerbread house, it may be a beautiful gingerbread house, but I don't think it will be a milestone for the tenth anniversary of the winter theme. Of course this is just my opinion.

Edited by bbrousong

9 hours ago, bbrousong said:

I don't think it will be the town hall. The town hall is a city building.

Fire Station is also a city building.

9 hours ago, bbrousong said:

I don't think it will be the town hall. The town hall is a city building. It is not suitable for winter villages. But if it is a gingerbread house, it is really a disaster for collectors of winter villages!

According to the leaked gingerbread man, I am sorry to believe that this is probably a gingerbread house. But a gingerbread house is useless to collectors in winter villages, and it can't be coordinated. And more than 1,400 pieces are likely to be mostly small parts such as candy that make up the gingerbread house, which is also very disappointing. I hope that there will be a village hotel or village restaurant that feels both warm and retro. I have to say that the winter village series has started to decline since the Santa work room. Trains without passenger compartments and only half of the train stations are unsatisfactory. If this year's winter village theme is a gingerbread house, it may be a beautiful gingerbread house, but I don't think it will be a milestone for the tenth anniversary of the winter theme. Of course this is just my opinion.

But we’ve had city buildings the past two years for the winter village series. A fire station and a train station, I don’t think it’s too far fetched for a main town hall/center building

4 hours ago, Sunseeker21 said:

The hot cocoa stand is super cute. I would buy a bunch of winter village polybags if the builds were as detailed as that.

Sport shop is a really nice blend of classic and modern. They did a great job of making it look and feel like a part of cozy downtown of some small Colorado ski town. 

It looks like the tried to do the same with the Ski Resort but that just looks like a total mess. Too many colors in too small of an area and the grey elements are especially off putting. It looks to cold and not in the fun winter way. Looks a tiny bit better from the side but not really.

11 hours ago, legonerd54321 said:

But we’ve had city buildings the past two years for the winter village series. A fire station and a train station, I don’t think it’s too far fetched for a main town hall/center building

This makes sense, so we can never figure out what lego is thinking. If it is really a town hall, it would be great, but the leaked gingerbread man makes me worry about it will be a gingerbread house.

11 hours ago, Legocity2713 said:

The hot cocoa stand is super cute. I would buy a bunch of winter village polybags if the builds were as detailed as that.

Sport shop is a really nice blend of classic and modern. They did a great job of making it look and feel like a part of cozy downtown of some small Colorado ski town. 

It looks like the tried to do the same with the Ski Resort but that just looks like a total mess. Too many colors in too small of an area and the grey elements are especially off putting. It looks to cold and not in the fun winter way. Looks a tiny bit better from the side but not really.

Agree, the whole looks very rudimentary and fragmented. But the hot cocoa stand is very cute.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the pictures of the 60203 - Ski resort set. It doesn't look snowy enough IMO, but it's still a City set, not a dedicated Winter Village one, so I guess it's OK... If I decide to buy it, maybe I will reuse some of the elements in my own WV. 

Regarding rumours I read in this thread, I would be a bit disappointed if this year's set were a gingerbread house but I would wrap my mind around it anyways. I started collecting WV sets earlier this year and some old sets are just crazy insanely expensive on eBay or Bricklink. I would have been pleased with a big reedition of an old set like the WV Market but it's still quite new (released "only" in 2013, maybe not old enough to be re-edited). Still IMO, I don't think a 1400 something brick set with very small elements such as decoration for a GB House would satisfy me as an anniversary set.

I guess we can only wait and see in the next few weeks if we have more details to discuss about.

7 hours ago, GwladysM said:

Still IMO, I don't think a 1400 something brick set with very small elements such as decoration for a GB House would satisfy me as an anniversary set.

This statement got me thinking about what we've seen in the past and how it might compare to the rumored piece count.  Looking at the series so far it would need to be a pretty detailed GB House to rack up that kind of piece count.    

Winter Village Toy Shop – 815 Pieces

Winter Village Bakery – 687 Pieces

Winter Village Post Office – 822 Pieces

Winter Village Cottage – 1490 Pieces

Winter Village Market – 1261 Pieces

Santa’s Workshop – 883 Pieces

Winter Toy Shop (re-issue) – 898 Pieces

Winter Holiday Train – 734 Pieces

Winter Village Station – 902 Pieces

Winter Village Fire Station – 1166 Pieces

On 7/20/2019 at 11:03 AM, legonerd54321 said:

Arguably even toy shops, bakeries, fairgrounds, and post offices can be "city buildings"… I'm not sure how that would be any type of strike against the possibility of something appearing in the Winter Village theme one way or another as long as it's something that can be adapted to a quaint, nostalgic, small-town holiday aesthetic rather than a big urban playset aesthetic.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:04 PM, Karalora said:

Whatever it is, I just hope it's at a price point that I can justify spending on this year.

I have been thinking, though, that it might be interesting if they went in more of a fantasy direction every so often. I know people weren't crazy about Santa's Workshop, but I'm not sure whether it was the premise that bugged them or the actual design of the set. In any case, there are a lot more winter holiday fantasy concepts that could be explored--a gingerbread village, peppermint forest, ice palace populated by snowmen, etc.

I definitely agree that's hardly a worst case scenario. Even from the perspective of including stuff together in a modern-day layout, I think it can work. In the United States, at least, there are a lot of properties even in rural areas or small towns that comparable to Christmas-themed amusement parks or tourist attractions, with fanciful decorations meant to resemble kids' Christmas dreams brought to life. Some people might consider them tacky, but for many people they're just as big a Christmas traditions as Christmas markets are in central Europe.

And they're hardly some phenomenon that's too modern-day, too uniquely American, or too "big city" to work in a quaint little Winter Village layout… just look at Santa's Land, in the tiny, sparsely-populated, rural town of Putney where I go to school, the Santa's Village theme park franchise that was founded in the late 1950s, or even the Santa Claus Village in Finland!

Other people all over the country simply go all-out decorating their private homes to resemble something out of a Christmas card, which can easily become a tourist attraction and tradition in their own right if the owners put up signs or advertisements encouraging people to drive or stroll through their driveways and/or neighborhoods. The idea of somebody decorating their house resemble a gingerbread house, including full-size gingerbread people, is not far fetched at all!

I've often thought that a large gingerbread house or carousel would make for a good employee holiday gift.  Similar to the elaborate nutcracker they did a couple years ago.  

A LEGO-certified self-media heard after I said this year’s winter village was a gingerbread house.
Reply to me: I can only tell you hahaha, because Lego’s surprise will always surprise you.

According to his answer, this winter village is another theme?

I'm not convinced this years WV set will be a gingerbread house and here's why

1. The image itself was pretty grainy and could've easily been doctored

2. The piece count of 1400+ seems too high even considering a bunch of small detailed pieces

3. We already have multiple versions of a gingerbread minifigure. (1 from CMF Series 11 and 1 from set 5005156)

4. We got a smaller gingerbread house only a few years ago (set 40139 from 2015)

All that being said Lego does weird things sometimes that don't seem to make a lot of sense to us (I'm looking at you Toy Shop Re-Release) but I'm just excited that WV rumor season is in full swing.

1 hour ago, Blackpool said:

4. We got a smaller gingerbread house only a few years ago (set 40139 from 2015)

And a small holiday train (40138), too. Oh, wait... ;)

Personally I think a Gingerbread House would be great. But it wouldn't fit into a Winter village, because it's not a real house. Of course they could simulate a life size gingerbread house ;)

Edited by incognito

On 7/18/2019 at 12:25 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Sure, especially if you consider the rejected LEGO Ideas project back from 2016. :shrug_oh_well:

So it's confirmed that it will be a Gingerbread House. :laugh:

13 minutes ago, incognito said:

And a small holiday train (40138), too. Oh, wait... ;)

Personally I think a Gingerbread House would be great. But it wouldn't fit into a Winter village, because it's not a real house. Of course they could simulate a life size gingerbread house ;)

LOL - it would be fitting for Lego

On 7/22/2019 at 5:33 PM, GarmadonFan said:

This statement got me thinking about what we've seen in the past and how it might compare to the rumored piece count.  Looking at the series so far it would need to be a pretty detailed GB House to rack up that kind of piece count.    

Winter Village Toy Shop – 815 Pieces

Winter Village Bakery – 687 Pieces

Winter Village Post Office – 822 Pieces

Winter Village Cottage – 1490 Pieces

Winter Village Market – 1261 Pieces

Santa’s Workshop – 883 Pieces

Winter Toy Shop (re-issue) – 898 Pieces

Winter Holiday Train – 734 Pieces

Winter Village Station – 902 Pieces

Winter Village Fire Station – 1166 Pieces

I remember this Ideas set that was proposed a few years ago by Swan Dutchman https://ideas.lego.com/projects/7a204071-7d33-4cfd-9306-15f1cdbfb798/updates#content_nav_tabs

The piece count is 1424, so basically fairly close to the actual rumored piece count.

21 hours ago, bbrousong said:

A LEGO-certified self-media heard after I said this year’s winter village was a gingerbread house.
Reply to me: I can only tell you hahaha, because Lego’s surprise will always surprise you.

According to his answer, this winter village is another theme?

This year being the 10 year anniversary of this series, I would like very much to be surprised!

9 hours ago, GwladysM said:

I remember this Ideas set that was proposed a few years ago by Swan Dutchman https://ideas.lego.com/projects/7a204071-7d33-4cfd-9306-15f1cdbfb798/updates#content_nav_tabs

The piece count is 1424, so basically fairly close to the actual rumored piece count.

This year being the 10 year anniversary of this series, I would like very much to be surprised!

Does that kind of thing happen with Ideas?  Does LEGO ever deny a set with that much support and then release something really similar?   

4 hours ago, GarmadonFan said:

Does that kind of thing happen with Ideas?  Does LEGO ever deny a set with that much support and then release something really similar?   

There was some controversy surrounding the latest Jurassic Park set with the main gate and the T-Rex. A set very similar was rejected awhile before. The official word from Lego was that they had theirs in development before the ideas set ever came up for vote. Many people are skeptical about that...

I'd agree that a Town Hall wouldn't be in keeping with the setting. What about a Village Hall though? Just a simple, small building with enough room for a choir to perform. 

I think a gingerbread house would be perfect for the Winter Village, being a part of Christmas, and the winter village being synonymous with Christmas for those who celebrate it. Those who prefer realism could always style it as a tourist attraction. I like a bit of fantasy in my village so I would love to site a gingerbread house in a bit of forest, with a ‘friendly’ looking old lady living in it....

i look forward to this year’s set, whatever it is. I agree, a village hall would be excellent and would make for a wonderful 10th anniversary special set - something that brings the whole community together!