Gearslover01

Winter Village Sets - Rumours and Discussion

2 hours ago, temes said:

I'll wait for the official pictures, but my first impressions aren't that good. As someone already said, the buildings look more like LEGO City than Winter Village. They don't represent my idea of Winter Village... the style and era are too different, they don't fit that well next to previous WV sets.

Agreed, it feels like we went from winter village to more of a winter city type set that would be in the normal City line. Will wait to see release pics in a few days, hopefully its just bluryness that makes it look meh.

I agree with the general concerns about it leaning more city than old time village. I already have Hogsmeade, the bank from 60140 and 40305 Xmas'd out. Also adding Sesame st and thinking about a 2 story MOC of my Toys R Us 7848. I think that will provide a fleshed out main street for the trolley to connect the old time village to the market/fairgrounds.

Love it. :grin_wub: Stands alone and as part of the group. Can picture it in the middle of the train loop with the other buildings along the outside of the track as you get farther from the city. The sign says “Main Street” after all so it makes sense that the area is more built up.

This one is up there with the Bakery, re-released Toy Shop, train station, original cottage, and Elf Clubhouse for me.

Can also picture a ton of Batman Arkham Origins and Spider-Man pics on Instagram with these builds lol.

I feel like villages are very European, the U.S. doesn't really have villages.  But I would argue, in head canon, that the Winter Village is the name of this small town.  At this point the "village" has 2 or 3 toy stores, a music store, a bakery, a post office, a train line with its own station, a decent sized fire fighting crew AND a trolley, and if you throw in the Hogsmeade sets, which is almost a no brainer unless you are  a purist, a Candy Shoppe and tavern.   This is a small town.  And if you look at Disneyland Main street, it really fits into that kind of motif.    So, at this point I feel like the WV line has three distinct parts, the town, the outside of town (with the cottage and natural looking elements, and Santa's Village.  I feel like the Winter Village is more of a tourist trap, the train bringing in the punters.  Anyhow, I do find how this set seems all over the place in the general consensus, from Skip, to OK to BEST SET EVER!  I for one am pleased though, which I think I have mentioned.   Cheers!

Edited by Celtchief
clarity

I like it! It would be nice if it were a bit more detailed but honestly they look fine, and the flat sides make it easy to put multiple buildings next to each other. I’m going to get this and I’m looking forward to integrating the two buildings into my layout. (Definitely going to change it from a toy shop to something else, though.)

Love it. For me it is same spirit than fire station and will fit well in a kind of town center, including the train station.

47 minutes ago, bricks4live1972 said:

So now Lego has removed the photos everywhere

Our friend on here who has a video about the topic, that video is still up.  

42 minutes ago, keba said:

Which winter vilage sets are best and worst for you?

Hmmm

The set that got me into WV was the train.  So it's number one.  

1st place- train

3rd Place, Firehouse--- it's fine.  

2nd Place.. Everything else is tied for 2nd.  

First world problem incoming! :tongue: Is this really coming on October 3rd/8th?! I’m already going to be at the store on the 1st...and all the other sets(bar Visit which was already released by this time last year) have been Oct 1st. What are they doing?! I hate waiting for shipping. :cry_sad:

59 minutes ago, keba said:

Well, Santa’s Visit is my first winter village set. So it’s the best one for me. 

But I can tell you which is the worst sets I have se eer - Santa’s Workshop (i hate that brick-built reindeer, just ugly), Firehouse, Gingebread house. 

3 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Sigh. Looks like it will indeed be $130 rather than $100, which makes it an even harder decision on whether to get it.

What happened to it being $80?!

Shit, at $130 I’m suddenly a lot more ambivalent about this set. Damnit LEGO . .

3 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

What happened to it being $80?!

Shit, at $130 I’m suddenly a lot more ambivalent about this set. Damnit LEGO . .

I mentioned that 100 dollars made sense because the Harry Potter set was two buildings for 80, and so 100 for two buildings and a tram made sense to me.  If that is where you got the impression it was 80, I apologize.  I am a little surprised it is 130, but it was going t go up along with many other sets, I was hoping 120.  That said, If I were to buy one lego set a year, it would be the WV set, so I'll take the hit.  

12 hours ago, keba said:

Ooh, this is a question I'll stop lurking for.

My first set was Santa's Workshop and, despite the brick-built reindeer, I think it's an incredible set. The building is really nice looking and I think a lot of MOCs since have copied the style. Also, unlike last year's, the sleigh seems more in scale compared to the buildings, and sits nicely on top of the toy shop roof. I do like moulded animals, but it sometimes feels that they're not so much Lego as action figures.

I have every WV set, and I can't say there's any one model I don't like, but the firehouse and perhaps the new set are the only ones where the architectural style doesn't feel quite right. The train station is the one building which feels kind of underwhelming, it just isn't as substantial as most of the others and, if you see old country train stations from Britain, they were sometimes quite beautiful and elaborate. I do love the bandstand from the post office, the tree from the Toy Shop, and the house itself from the gingerbead house.

I'm halfway through building the Home Alone house and have the Santa's Visit and Elf Club house to go before christmas, but this is my layout from last year...

y4mfget_Ojk3ok3JreItYIP59VNSCQa-mkxjXOQV

It has a town area on the left, a snow area with ski slope front right then a fairground behind and fantasy land back left. It takes up too much room in my lounge so I only set it up for a couple of days and then put half of it on display on a dresser. Can't wait to take it all out in a month or two.

thats a great setup daemon4001. Will you motorize the new tram and run it on same tracks or change layout so tram gets a separate track?

Disappointed no light brick in this years set - one of the things I always like to see 

Interiors are really compact too - but I guess I will buy it like I always do - the sage green tea pot is nice though 

Just saw a couple of official pictures on Reddit - the buildings are shallow and interior is very simple, worse than the Hogsmeade set. Hopefully this won't be 130€...

Edited by domen151

This image was just published on a Dutch LEGO fansite. I wasn't that enthousiastic about the set when I saw the leaked (low quality) images before, but the colors look really good on the box. Previously felt it was to generic-city-ish, but I'm coming back from that.

LEGO-Winter-Village-10308-Holiday-Main-Street-1.jpeg

Here's a link to the backside of the box that shows the interior:

LEGO-Winter-Village-10308-Holiday-Main-S

Very shallow buildings, that's a bit disappointing. The set as it is would not justify a €130 price for me, so I hope they keep it around €100.

Edited by Tc99m