Gearslover01

Winter Village Sets - Rumours and Discussion

On 11/9/2021 at 7:36 AM, RichardGoring said:

I've often thought that Modulars should be on a 48x48 baseplate if they were to be more realistic scale wise. But they would be crazy expensive and almost certainly very little extra enjoyment to be gained.

Exactly, like you said, the diminishing returns is ever present.  Like the back/4th wall of WV sets. I feel that's why so many people buy multiple modulars to bulk out the buildings they choose.

I've been bit by the LED striplight bug recently and today I ordered supplies to light my WV. Nothing crazy, just some warm white strips to light the buildings from the inside. Depending on how this goes I may add multi-colored fairy-type lights.

On 11/12/2021 at 7:15 PM, CDM said:

I've been bit by the LED striplight bug recently and today I ordered supplies to light my WV. Nothing crazy, just some warm white strips to light the buildings from the inside. Depending on how this goes I may add multi-colored fairy-type lights.

Sounds good. Are you using any special set of lights? What is the power source? It would be great to see pictures once you have set it up 

Question is... Do I buy the Home Alone set this weekend with the Retro Tin LEGO Sign, Santa's Front Lawn and Double VIP points, or do I gamble all that on the Mrs Clause and Santa Clause Loungeroom being a better GWP? Geez I wish we knew what that next GWP looked like.

22 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

Question is... Do I buy the Home Alone set this weekend with the Retro Tin LEGO Sign, Santa's Front Lawn and Double VIP points, or do I gamble all that on the Mrs Clause and Santa Clause Loungeroom being a better GWP? Geez I wish we knew what that next GWP looked like.

Or you could look at it saying the extra points are worth $12.50, and you could likely sell the sign and garden scene for more than it costs to buy the front room, if it's good. And if it's not, your have the better deal?

We have a week for it to leak though, so maybe it will be an easier decision.

20 hours ago, CoNSpiracy said:

Sounds good. Are you using any special set of lights? What is the power source? It would be great to see pictures once you have set it up 

2-pin 12v LED striplight powered by a regular brick transformer. Not sure the color temp but they're on the warm side. I tested the strip this weekend and they're quite bright so I'll run it through an in-line dimmer / controller, which should be here today. This particular strip is 3 diodes per cut, spaced approx 1" apart so each piece will be kinda big. My village sits on a mantle and the backs face the wall so while I'll try to keep everything as discrete as possible I'm not really concerned about the size of the strip.

19 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Or you could look at it saying the extra points are worth $12.50, and you could likely sell the sign and garden scene for more than it costs to buy the front room, if it's good. And if it's not, your have the better deal?

We have a week for it to leak though, so maybe it will be an easier decision.

Thank you, that's a very good point! Had not thought of it in a monetary sense. Was only really thinking about what I would like better. Very helpful comment! :-)

8 hours ago, cosmic said:

Is 10275 Lego Ef Clubhouse being discontinued this year? Not sure about that one.

10267 Gingerbread House is going EOL this year. Looks like the clubhouse will be available through 2022.

20 hours ago, cosmic said:

Is 10275 Lego Ef Clubhouse being discontinued this year? Not sure about that one.

No. And are you fence about getting it because I love the set.

39 minutes ago, Maple said:

No. And are you fence about getting it because I love the set.

Not on the fence about it, I love it! Just not sure if I should wait I get it or if I should jump on it now that’s why I asked. Has the same vibe as assembly square in that its the oldest set of its subtheme but is not retiring and a newer set (Gingerbread House and Corner Garage) are.

4 hours ago, cosmic said:

Not on the fence about it, I love it! Just not sure if I should wait I get it or if I should jump on it now that’s why I asked. Has the same vibe as assembly square in that its the oldest set of its subtheme but is not retiring and a newer set (Gingerbread House and Corner Garage) are.

Elf Clubhouse came out the year after Gingerbread House. I'm pretty sure they've largely been retired in the order they were released, 2-3 years later.

I started building my original WV Cottage (10229) and loads of the square 1x1 tiles and plates cracked down the middle as I secured them. I've never had that before, I wonder if it's because it's an old (though previously unopened) set or there was a faulty batch of pieces at the time.

Elf Clubhouse will be my next build. I'm running out of time to get everything done before Christmas.

3 hours ago, daemon4001 said:

I started building my original WV Cottage (10229) and loads of the square 1x1 tiles and plates cracked down the middle as I secured them. I've never had that before, I wonder if it's because it's an old (though previously unopened) set or there was a faulty batch of pieces at the time.

I have not heard that before about 10229. I bought mine when it came out and I am rebuilding it every year, without any cracking tiles or plates. With some other sets I have experienced the well-known brittle problem with reddish brown pieces, but not with pieces from set 10229.

10-15 years ago LEGO had an issue with 1x1 pieces in my experience. Started with cheese slopes, then like cookie pieces would crack. I had issues with Mixels. I haven't had an issue lately.

I was going to ask if others had problems with the little clips that attach lights or signs etc. I’ve replaced the ones on my Santa’s Workshop to the point of giving up

On 11/16/2021 at 8:05 AM, CDM said:

10267 Gingerbread House is going EOL this year. Looks like the clubhouse will be available through 2022.

If Elf Club House was release last year, is it too early for it to go EOL?

Good thing it won’t be retired until next year so I will buy it in a near future.

33 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

If Elf Club House was release last year, is it too early for it to go EOL?

Good thing it won’t be retired until next year so I will buy it in a near future.

Not sure what you're asking. Gingerbread House 2019 - 21, Elf Clubhouse 2020 - 22, Santa's Visit 2021 - 23 (presumably). How deep into the EOL year depends on stock...for instance, Gingerbread sold out in the US at the end of Oct and slightly earlier in Europe. The Elf Club House should come back in stock after the first of the year and be available at least through summer of 2022.

35 minutes ago, CDM said:

Not sure what you're asking. Gingerbread House 2019 - 21, Elf Clubhouse 2020 - 22, Santa's Visit 2021 - 23 (presumably). How deep into the EOL year depends on stock...for instance, Gingerbread sold out in the US at the end of Oct and slightly earlier in Europe. The Elf Club House should come back in stock after the first of the year and be available at least through summer of 2022.

You did jsut answer my quesiton! 

Thank you for your time explaning - I’m not very very familiar with EOL myself - like how long the sets will last before EOL, etc. 

I’m so upset. I really want the Gingerbread House and have been unable to find a copy for the longest time.  Had to resort to buying one from bricklink and my cheapest option comes out to $200 with shipping and site costs. I really want this set and am so bummed I essentially need to pay twice its value to get it. Why are all the North American listings already at $140 minimum? I hate how hard to find this set was for the longest time for me. Just like the Looney Tunes series this set has felt so out of reach to me. Sad face I really want this Gingerbread House for a reasonable price.

15 hours ago, cosmic said:

I’m so upset. I really want the Gingerbread House and have been unable to find a copy for the longest time.  Had to resort to buying one from bricklink and my cheapest option comes out to $200 with shipping and site costs. I really want this set and am so bummed I essentially need to pay twice its value to get it. Why are all the North American listings already at $140 minimum? I hate how hard to find this set was for the longest time for me. Just like the Looney Tunes series this set has felt so out of reach to me. Sad face I really want this Gingerbread House for a reasonable price.

$60 tax and shipping? That's not realistic. Fact is it had been for sale for 2 years and was available from Lego as recently as last month. Honestly, the way people hoard and flip sets these days, $140 for an out of stock WV kit right before the holidays doesn't seem all that outrageous.

Edited by CDM

When the Gingerbread House when OOS last fall and stayed out of stock for months and months and months I bought it in the Spring when the stock issues were fixed.

I wanted the corner garage with double points and 'free' add ons. It's OOS and the 'freebies' suck.

So as the saying goes, you snooze, you lose.